“Stellar....on all fronts!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Tallahassee, Florida
“Stellar....on all fronts!”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

From my initial contact with Finch's, making a reservation from Florida with Catherine, through the last of three dinners, my husband and I were quite wowed. On our first night, not knowing quite what to expect, we were greeted by Candace, whose warm smile essentially set the impressive tone of the service throughout.
Finch's somehow managed to dazzle on food, wine, and service effortlessly. I would truly be hard pressed to suggest a weak suit. Not only are their food and wine offerings impressive, serving items like rabbit and skate, which I have never seen on a menu domestically, but the preparation of each item was flawless. The wine specials available complemented the entrees perfectly.
My husband and I went to Finch's each of the three nights we were in Bloomington. After the first night we concurred that if there was possibly a better restaurant in town, we did not care. On each of these nights we had a different server....and not one of them missed a beat. Each server was knowledgable, unobtrusively attentive, and personable without being fawning.
Finch's was impressive enough to warrant a return to Bloomington, just for a memorable dinner.
Additionally, the location on the periphery of the IU campus, makes it ideal for anyone staying on campus.

• Visited February 2014

Bloomington, Indiana
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Wow. Just wow. I'd usually start with the entree, but I need to write about the dessert first because it was miraculous.

I've been on a diet lately that leaves me with less appetite than I used to have. Normal sized restaurant dishes leave me feeling overfull nowadays, so I'm always wary of finishing because I want to try desserts. I finished this one and as usual felt stuffed. Lucky I ordered the Chocolate Pots De Creme.

It was as rich as dark chocolate creme is likely to be and comes in an espresso cup. I expected to get halfway down the VERY thick mousse and have to take a break. Not with this! I finished the whole thing and felt LESS full than when I started. Best dessert you can have if you get full easily.

I'd also like to compliment them on refilling soft drinks despite being an upscale restaurant. More places need to get off their high horse about that and admit that fountain beverages are not something you try to get margin on.

As for the main dish, I got the burger and thought it was excellent. The onion strings were fantastic and the meat was high quality. The bread was very good too. The truffle aoili was good at first, but it was a bit too savory for a burger and I felt near the end like it was overpowering some of the other ingredients. The fries were brilliant, and I got the lemon-horseradish dip which I thought could have been stronger on the horseradish. I eat horseradish raw sometimes, so it's probably good for most people.

Overall, I was blown away. I'd say it's the best food in Bloomington for its price, but its pretty much the best place I've been to hands down. I'm rating it as excellent on value because I'd be paying double or more in a lot of cities for a restaurant of their quality. The service was very good and I look forward to trying their pizza, which I'm usually skeptical of in restaurants but I saw a group eating some and it looks like they put a lot of effort into their pizza.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Paul C
Midwest family
“Delightful”
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Our first trip to Finch's was wonderful. Our waiter was attentive but not bothersome. My husband had the chicken dish and I had an amazing rib eye. I usually do not eat much beef, but had a craving for it and I'm glad I ordered it. It was cooked to perfection and juicy and flavorful. My husband loved the chicken and would definitely have it again. A must when you visit Bloomington.

Visited January 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
“Happy New Year”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

So happy we had reservations.Very crowded as it should be on New Years Eve.Large prawns for a starter,followed by fresh greens with a delightful house dressing. Wood plank salmon and a white wine infused chicken pasta were simply marvelous.For desert a chocolate tiramisu and a great cup of coffee. Fantastic end to 2013.

• Visited December 2013
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Solid Food, If a Bit Slow”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Ate at Finch's twice on a recent trip to Bloomington. A lunch of a fresh caprese salad turned out to be very good -- the tomatoes were perfectly ripe and the fresh mozzarella was creamy. Dinner was a bit more of a challenge on a Friday night. The place was packed, and clearly a favorite because of its proximity to the IU campus. Our server was excellent, but it was obvious that the kitchen was seriously backed up. Another salad of simple greens with roasted tomato vinaigrette was fresh and lively. Pappardelle with rabbit was tasty but could have used a touch more salt and a little acid in the sauce to off-set the richness. Finch's only serves wine and beer, but their selection of craft brews on tap is interesting. Overall, a nice little place -- just try to avoid it when they're super busy.

• Visited September 2013