“Hibachi is outstanding”

Ranked #260 of 355 Restaurants in Bloomington
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

We always eat at the hibachi grills and this always proves to be entertaining. The food is fresh, prepared right in front of you and delicious.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

Don't order anything hibachi unless you're at the hibachi table. I was traveling for business and had a craving for hibachi steak. I stopped in and read the menu and made sure that while it said teriyaki steak as well as hibachi steak that I could order hibachi items and sit in the dining room rather than at the hibachi stove table so I could read while I ate.

I ordered the hibachi steak (medium) and a couple of appetizers figuring I'd go ahead and enjoy it since I was springing for such while by myself. One appetizer came out (cold tempura shrimp) right before the entrée - which was smothered in teriyaki sauce and sesame seeds. I assumed they got the order wrong, since the hibachi shrimp dinner on the table next to me looked normal. I asked if that was the teriyaki steak and not the hibachi since the teriyaki glaze was running off the plate and since I didn't get any white sauce and the table next to me that ordered hibachi did. The waitress said that no, that was hibachi steak. I asked then what is the difference between the teriyaki steak and the hibachi steak aside from over $10 in price, and she was at a loss aside from mumbling something about how they cooked it before she left. I was starving and tried it anyway, and the steak was severely burnt on one side. A few minutes later the edamame came out (cold) that I ordered as an appetizer.

I complained to the people at the front and they tried the same story about that's how they make it even in the back with the hibachi tables, when I pointed out the other hibachi dishes weren't like that and asked what the difference was aside from the increased price and they were at a loss again.

Even for teriyaki steak which wasn't what I wanted/ordered, it was horrible. Overcooked, and just disgusting. I had to specifically ask for white sauce (since it doesn't come with the teriyaki steak which was what I got despite my order) and the overall cleanliness was sorely lacking.

They did nothing to resolve this issue with me aside from tell me that's how it's cooked there despite other hibachi dishes not being that way or being able to tell me what the difference between the two steak dishes were aside from price. They did nothing when I mentioned how burnt and horrible the dish was, how cold my shrimp tempura and edamame were, and were just plain horrible.

1  Thank Chris O
Reviewed 12 March 2013

My daughter loves hibachi, and we've eaten here several times over the past few years. While never memorable, we always had a decent, if expensive, meal. Tonight however was not a good experience. My daughter brought a friend with her, and they ordered the chicken hibachi meal while I had the fillet. I should have known something was up when I received my soup and salad, but the girls did not. However, it appears there was a misunderstanding with our orders, and the girls received chicken friend rice instead of the hibachi chicken. This would have been okay if the "chicken" actually tasted like chicken, as the girls love fried rice (and chicken). We all had a bite o this "chicken", and I thought it looked, tasted, and had the consistency of either a noodle dumpling, or maybe a weird type of fish. It definitely was not like any chicken we have ever had before. We were assured by the wait staff that it was chicken, but the girls did not eat it, and I don't blame them. I shared my fillet instead, and didn't complain because I didn't want to embarrass my teenage daughter in front of her friend by making any more fuss. However, we won't be back, and can't recommend this restaurant given our experience tonight.

1  Thank ilona06
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We've been here a few times and the kids love it. If you've never been to a hibachi restaurant before it is dinner and a show. But after a couple of times it's not as cool. The food is very good and the service has never disappointed us so I recommend this one for celebrations if for no other reason than you can get 12 people seated around a grill and still have fun.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

My son has lived here for 9 years, and in that time we have yet to find a better place to eat--the lunch specials, and their teppanyaki room are all terrific and the prices are moderate for what you get. They have two menus, one is sushi/Japanese fare, the other is Chinese, and all the food is terrific. The service is great, wait staff is friendly, and makes sure to fill glasses, and to clear plates, without being obtrusive.