“It's just ok....”

Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The hotel needs a little updating. Great location. Went there for Brewfest - only reason we stayed there is because they advertised shuttle service which turned out to be extremely limited. Also, it costs $5 to get in the park. If you give the receipt to the front desk when you check in, you will get that off the room rate. They don't tell you that when you check in. Won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank kmc625
Tony S, General Manager at Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Thank you for your review.

First and foremost, please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience or misunderstanding in regards to the gate fee.

The resort underwent an extensive renovation of all guest rooms and public areas during the past 2 years. I regret that you felt the resort required some updating; maybe you could have been a little more descriptive about this?

Everyone who enters the Fairfax State Recreation Area pays either an instate or out-of-state gate fee. The attendants at the gate are to inform you that as a resort guest the gate fee is also reimbursed, you just have to show your receipt that you paid; in addition, at check-in , the front desk agent also is to ask if you've paid a gate fee, so if you have, it can be refunded to you. This is standard operating procedure and the way we've been doing it for years.

I am delighted that we were chosen as the official hotel for the Craft Beer Festival. The times of the shuttle were approved by the organizing committee. Let me assure you that we did not want to inconvenience anyone, but not everyone used the shuttle accordingly to the times on their tickets, which created the delay. Please accept my apology for that. This amenity that we provided we be structured differently next year and is easily fixable.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at the hotel on April 12th as we were in town for the Craft Beer Fest and the Fourwinds was designated as the host hotel. We had stayed at the hotel last April as well. Our stay last year could be described as an average experience. There was a continental breakfast served that was one of the worst I’ve ever had, but I don’t think it’s entirely fair to judge a hotel on it’s free complimentary breakfast. This year we were expecting the restaurant and bar to really step up their food and service after hearing that they would be waiting on a full house (the hotel sold out days before the event). We arrived at the restaurant on Saturday night after the festival and were seated immediately. Getting seated immediately was the only positive thing I can say about the next 52 minutes in the restaurant. After being seated we were told that our server would be at the table “shortly” to wait on us. 25 minutes later we decided that “shortly” was a subjective term and my wife went to speak to the manager about getting a server to our table. After seeking out the manager a server came to the table and took our orders. 10 minutes later we had water, but not our drinks from the bar. Looking back I suppose we could have walked down to the lake and grabbed a bucket of water, boiled it to ensure its purity and cooled it to drink in the 35 minutes it took to get it from the restaurant staff. 10 minutes after our water arrived, my wife got her bowl of beer cheese soup, but still no drinks from the bar. The soup was horrible and our confidence in the rest of the meal was at an all-time low. 5 minutes later my wife walked to the bar to retrieve our drinks and was told by our waitress that she could not bring them back to our table (apparently my wife “wasn’t qualified” enough). A minute later my beer arrived and I felt like I was partying like a Kennedy! At this point we decided to leave and drive into Bloomington to get dinner. It took 35 minutes to get water at our table; 45 minutes to get a horrible bowl of soup; and 51 minutes to get a bottle of beer. Two other tables were seated after us and finished their meals and left before we had our bar order! The next morning I went down to get coffee and was shocked to find out that the complimentary coffee was all out. At that point I would have rather filtered water through dirt and drank it rather than stay any longer at the hotel. A beautiful weekend was interrupted by a horrible experience at the Fourwinds. Next year I will find different accommodations.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Paul d

Dear Paul,

Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience we may have caused you. I can't begin to tell you how embarrassed I am over your experience at our resort. Representing the resort, I can tell you how pleased I was that the Fourwinds was selected as the official hotel of the Craft Beer Festival. As we continue to reposition the resort within the Bloomington market, this type of exposure is extremely helpful, but not at the cost of loosing you as a repeat guest.

I am very proud of our product and service, as our efforts each and every day is to do things right and to provide our guests with quality and service so that they can leave completely satisfied and want to return. I regret that this was not the case for you and your wife. There is no excuse that I can give that can makeup for what you experienced, other than your table was forgotten about in the mix of a busy dining room. What you experienced is truly unfortunate and should not have occurred.

I would welcome the opportunity to have you return as our guest. At you earliest convenience I hope that you will contact me to discuss this.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Even though I live in Bloomington, it always feels like I'm on vacation when I go out to Fourwinds. We ate at the Windbreaker restaurant, Mallaire was great and the pork tacos, made by Chef David, were fantastic.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Wind Jammer Grill and for recognizing your server, Mallerie, as well as the culinary skills of Chef David! Your review is greatly appreciated.

We hope you'll join us again and enjoy another one of our weekday specials!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We had a very good experience even being super busy, our waitress Kimberly was very timely and polite. We got our food quickly and it was correct no mistakes first time. Very good waitressing and staff.

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for sharing your recent experience about our food quality and for recognizing your server Kimberly. We take great pride in ensuring our guests are completely satisfied.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I recently went in for just a few drinks and the service will have me coming back for more! I felt the bartender Sarina was great conversation and fast service. Next time I plan on trying the pizza they have, it smelled amazing and I'll be going back real soon.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Tony S, General Manager at Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

HI Jeremy, thank you for the very nice review. I must agree and although I am a little byist, we truly serve some terrific food at the Wind Jammer and you must come back and try one of our 16" pizza's. We've got a couple that are very popular with our guest and boaters.

Thank you for also recognizing one of our team members, Sarina. She is one of our seasonal employees, who has just rejoined us and I am very pleased with this type of feedback.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We recently ate dinner with some family in the Tradewinds Dining Room. It was our first time dining there and I am pleased to say it was a fantastic experience. Our server, Liz, made sure we wanted for nothing. The food was delicious, the views were gorgeous, and everyone in our party of seven had a grand time. The only negative experience we had was in the bathrooms. We stopped on our way out and were surprised at the uncleanliness. We will definitely be visiting again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Tony S, General Manager at Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent resort experience and for recognizing Liz, your server in the Tradewinds. We're very excited about this upscale dining we've created and are pleased to know you appreciated the portions, quality, value and most of all the view.

I will address the washroom issue and thank you for letting me know! I hope your summer plans will include another visit to our resort and the Tradewinds Waterfront Restaurant!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We just got back from our weekend getaway at the Fourwinds Resort. We ate dinner at the Windbreaker restaurant. Miss Mallarie Moore was our waitress who was very genuine and catered to our needs with young children. The food portions were big enough to share. The kids had fun swimming at the indoor pool. We also ate breakfast which was buffet style. The food was very good quality and worth the cost. The hotel is missing a hot tub but other than that everything was great. I will definitely go back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gigi B

Thank you for your review and kinds words about your experience. We hope more people will realize that our resort is the ideal "staycation" destination for families in South Central Indiana. We're very glad you had such a wonderful time and enjoyed our delicious food in our Wind Jammer Grill. Thank you for also recognizing Mallarie who provided you excellent service and we'll look forward to welcoming you back very soon!