“Wonderful vacation, but suite overpriced”

Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed 19 July 2014

All told, stay was fine. But for the customer paying for a 2-room suite at almost $300/night; cost is twice as high as we'd expect to pay for the room/ amenities we received (comparing to a Residence Inn). Area was beautiful; we'd go back, but there are things we'd do differently.
Summary: bring your own pool & beach towels, outdoor chairs, food, and cooking gear, coolers with food and drinks, including measuring cups and dish soap, coins for laundry.

Detail:
First, have cash to get in the grounds. $5-7 was a surprise at the end of the drive. Check in at front desk right at 4PM seemed unorganized and chaotic with a line that wrapped the foyer. I waited 25 minutes with only three people in front of me and three staff members working the desk. Guy wasn't real talkative, aka helpful! We had three rooms under the same registration, asked if two could adjoin or all be near each other (as noted with reservation), he said only if it was available when we checked in, they don't hold them.(We were standing there checking in right at 4pm, not sure what the problem was, but we were given different floors - on different ends of the building. Thanks!

We chose a "deluxe suite" with two small kids. Suite only had one bed and one bath, really expected two bedroom, not "two room," and most suites we rent have 1.5-2 baths. FYI: The regular rooms have two DOUBLE beds (really small for adults). Our pullout sofa had thin mattress, good for children. If you have more than four people, you'd want adjoining rooms. Sliding glass doors separate the master, with a curtain to block light. Tough to block sounds during naps and there is no balcony entrance from master, so when kids are sleeping, you are either in the room or stuck on balcony, no switching.

Speaking of the balcony, there is a 2' gap under the privacy wall. We didn't feel safe having kids out there, where only they can easily fit through to the next person's balcony leaving us crawling down to grab them!!! The suite had a double sized balcony but still only 2 chairs (bring your own).

The shower was large, ceilings throughout were low, especially in shower. Nice size double sink and long counters in bath, and plenty of soaps. For those with small kids, you could maybe put pack n play in bath, but then there is no bathroom for everyone else.

We put the pack 'n play in the kitchen to block line of sight to sofa bed. Worked ok. (The stove knobs were up high against the wall - great feature)

Limited TV channels, fuzzy analog signal in master.

Kitchen had set of four plates and bowls and full line of pots, pans, mixing bowl and plastic utensils and baking sheets. Full size fridge, oven, microwave, and dishwasher! But, no measuring cups, no drink pitcher, no kitchen scrub brush, no kitchen towels, no dish soap, no dishwasher soap, no extra trash bags (there were two wine bottle openers!!). The front desk did not sell any of this or any food - milk, eggs, bread, etc. and good luck finding a grocery store (FYI there is a store by the boats out on the pier that is slightly better stocked than the front desk). Once we cooked our "super expensive" eggs and pancake breakfast with goods from the closest gas station 10-15 min away, cleaning pans and dishes was quite the treat (wish I'd noticed sooner)!

There is really only one restaurant on site, the second is only open on the weekends. We ended up driving pretty far to eat other places.

Pool was beautiful, but a little unsafe for kids. Slick natural stone (again gorgeous), no edging for kids to grasp on to when struggling in the water, and no rail to get in or out. Loungers sat extremely close to pool so walking around them was a little tricky while holding little ones. Salt water maintained was a little shocking at first, but overall, we had a good time. It definitely required parental supervision! The hotel said they were short on pool towels, the room towels were pretty small in comparison (bring some from home)! They had a coin operated laundry room for cleanup mid-week.

We rented a pontoon for the day. The boat company is a well oiled machine: phenomenally staffed, at your beckon call when coming and going for food, breaks and final docking. Highly recommend that experience!!! We brought our own life jacket, tubes, and ropes, but you can use/rent theirs too. Tubing on pontoon worked well.

We would stay here again, but look for sales on the suite pricing.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Chiohoot2000
Tony S, General Manager at Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Thank you for your 4 star review. I appreciate you taking the time to provide a complete evaluation. I would like to respond to a few of your points.

Regarding check-in, on this particular day we were unfortunately behind schedule a bit in having all of our available rooms cleaned and ready on time. The rooms that were assigned to you were what was available at that time to avoid you having to wait. As for the young gentleman checking you in; he was a new associate learning the system.

I'm sorry that you didn't appreciate our deluxe suite. Unlike a defined suite hotel where every room is a suite, we offer six deluxe suites, all with a separate master bedroom and living room, with double vanity sinks in the bathroom. As you are aware, the rooms are divided by French doors and sheers for privacy, but each of our deluxe suites can be made into a 2 bedroom suite, as there is also the option for the connecting bedroom that is at an additional cost.

Please know that we make every effort to keep the suite kitchens stocked with dish and dishwasher soaps, dish and kitchen towels, plastic garbage bags and an assortment of kitchen utensils that has included measuring cups and spoons. I regret that this was not to standard during your stay and regret that you didn't bring it to a housekeepers or managers attention, so that we could have rectified it during your stay. Please accept my apology for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Because every guestroom at our resort has a mini refrigerator an microwave, we sell a selection of microwaveable food snack food. We have found that most of our guest arrive with the groceries they will require, but I regret you were not made aware of the convenience store located just outside the entrance of the Fairfax Sate Recreation Area.

The Fourwinds Resort & Marina is a resort destination, ideal for an Indiana Staycation. Many of the guest that choose our resort rarely leave or if they do, they do not find the 15 minute drive into downtown that much of an inconvenience, considering that they will return to tranquility and relaxation of our lakeside resort, versus a hotel in downtown Bloomington!

I will look forward to welcoming you back again soon. If you contact me personally, It would be my pleasure to arrange your reservations.

Thank you again for your comments.

Kind regards!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

First time to visit Lake Monroe and the Fourwinds Resort. The property was beautiful and the staff was friendly and helpful. While there I had a chance to eat in both restaurants and the food was great. The property offers casual dining and a more formal dining room whichever you prefer. I was there for a business meeting and wish that I would have had time to take advantage of all the amentities on site. The property has a beautiful pool with view of the lake, a beach area and marina with boat rentals. A great place for any occassion whether business or pleasure. Check it out!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank W W
Tony S, General Manager at Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

W W,

Thank you for the 5 star review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay and I glad that you appreciate all that the resort has to offer.

I'll look forward in welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

This a beautiful place. Very nice heated indoor/outdoor pool. If you love hanging out on a lake. This place is for you. You can rent boats, wave runners etc.. Before you get to the hotel you must pay to get into the area. But the front desk will take that price off your bill . 2 Restaurants on the property, other then that you must leave to find other places to eat at. Was not thrilled with the front desk staff. When checking in the person was lacking a friendly personality. No friendly talk was exchanged. Let alone welcome this is what you can find while here. Every night somebody stoled our privacy sign from the door. House keeping would give us another one when I told them it was gone. Not thrilled with the front desk again. Lack of a friendly personality. Only 2 things said to us what's the room number. And if we wanted a copy of the receipt. Would have been at lot better if the front desk was friendly.

Stayed: July 2014

Hello Shawna,

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and all the resort had to offer. I do regret however that you were not pleased with some of our associates at the front desk. I will share your review with them, so they can understand how important their role and communication is with the guest.

I hope we will have the pleasure in serving you again. If you would contact me directly, I would be pleased to make your reservation personally.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Our room was beautiful, clean, spacious! We had a balcony facing the lake and WHEN we come back, I must have that room again! The view is just beautiful. Walking the grounds is breathtaking and relaxing. When you are walking around any part of the resort, the employees are very polite and helpful! Beth was our house keeper and she was just was sweet as sweet could be!! I hope they give her the kudos she deserves! They have an indoor outdoor pool which is nice but we did not use it. My kids are older teenagers but we watched families that had children having a BLAST! We rented a boat and tube and spent an entire day on the water..
No matter why you are on vacation this place can and will accommodate. Young, old, couples, kids..doesn't matter! Everyone is always having fun!

Room Tip: Balcony is a must have! Pay the extra money for lakeside! Don't unpack before check in. They hav...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Shannon Y

We Can't Wait to Welcome You Back!

Thank you for the 5 star review. It sounds like you and your family had a wonderful time! It's comments like yours that make us Indiana's premier "Staycation" destination. I was delighted to read your review and thank you for also taking the time to recognize one our of associates, Beth in our housekeeping department.

I am very proud of our resort and all it has to offer. Hurry back again soon!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

My sister, friend, and I stayed here along with our daughters who have special needs. The setting was beautiful. Recommend getting rooms with balcony and lake views. The first night we ate at the Windjammer. The food was pub grub of good quality. The waiter, Kitch, was tremendous, filling us in on all to see and do at the resort. He also showed amazing patience and understanding when when of the young adults we were with had a severe anxiety attack. The entire staff at the restaurants, front desk, and Marina could not have been more accommodating. Boat rental costs were reasonable, and with the help of the handsome staff, especially Connor, Caleb, and Mike, our two days of boating were unbelievably easy. We came and went several times throughout our half-day rentals, and they were there each time to greet us and tie or untie our lines. The beach is small, but the water was very clear. Pool is not a place for laps, but a nice setting. Workout room had treadmills, stairmasters, and various bikes. Great for a quick morning workout with a view of the pool and lake. This was a perfect and affordable mid-week vacation great for couples, families or friends. Loved sitting on our balcony relaxing and taking in all of the gorgeous scenery. Bed was very comfortable. Buffet breakfast at the Tradewinds offered above average fare. Recommend checking out some of the restaurants in Bloomington as well, including Michael's Uptown Cafe.

Room Tip: Ask for room with balcony and lakeside view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for the 5 star review. I was delighted to read how much you, your sister and friend enjoyed your Midweek Staycation. I'm very proud of our unique location and setting here in Bloomington. I also appreciate that you have recognized some of our associates, whose primary goal is to provide you with quality service. I am glad you saw that with Kitch, Connor, Caleb and Mike.

The Midweek Staycation is available through September 30. I hope you'll all consider returning, as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Our family recently spent the day here, and rented a boat from the associated Marina. The equipment was well maintained, and the staff was professional. We needed access to a computer and fax unexpectedly, in response to a message. When asked for help the manager of the marina offered his office machine for our use, and the service department was helpful in sending a FAX for us.

The team at this resort are very service orientated, and it made all the difference for us. We will be back, and will recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Tony S, General Manager at Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the 5 star review. I was delighted to read about your experience with our boat rental and marina service departments. It is greatly appreciated when one takes the time to let us know of their positive guest experience.

I will look forward to welcoming you and your family back again!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We enjoyed a two nite stay during a warm summer vacation with our neighbors. We brought a boat with us and also rented one there. Very convenient dock rental office located in hotel lobby. Marina situated directly outside of hotel which was also convenient. Biggest kept secret is the restaurant where we had an excellent dining experience with a great waiter by the name of Blaine. Chef Bert Dickenson is new to this resort and hopefully he stays for a long time to come because our food was outstanding and served piping hot from the kitchen. BRAVO!

Room Tip: Lake view rooms worth the added cost.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Katie K
Tony S, General Manager at Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Hi Katie,

Thank you for the 4 star review! I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your recent stay at our resort. I also appreciate you taking the time to recognize our food & beverage associates Blaine and Bert. I am very glad they helped to make your dining experience an enjoyable one.

I'll look forward to the pleasure in welcoming you back again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Hyatt Place Bloomington Indiana
Comfort Inn Bloomington
Comfort Inn Bloomington
#8 of 24 in Bloomington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Bloomington

Been to Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina? Share your experiences!