“Needs an update”

Courtyard Bloomington
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I've stayed at this hotel on and off for over 10 years. It is sadly in need of an update. While I am a Marriott person, I've been staying at the Hilton Garden Inn up the street. The HGI is newer and nicer. The B-town Courtyard could use makeover like the one Marriott gave their Courtyard in Champaign. I recently stayed at the B-town property just for the points. But next month I'll be back at the HGI an will continue to stay there until Marriott renovates this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011

Reviewed 18 September 2011

I feel like this hotel shouldn't carry the Marriott name. The bad experience started on the first day of my stay -- with the desk staff delaying my check-in THREE times -- well past the normal check-in time. And then, after I repeatedly requested they put me facing downtown and on a top floor, they put me facing the back parking lot on floor 3 (of 5). The desk staff is very uneven, with most of them staring blankly at you when you request something as simple as a receipt. When my toilet repeatedly clogged, no one answered the phone when I called the front desk. After I got an answer, I was told to come get a plunger. There's no staff on duty to fix problems like that? Twice in just a few days, the cable went completely out. And when the cable works, the scant channel selection is the worst I've ever seen in a Marriott (and I spend 80% of my life traveling and staying in Marriott properties). There are few channels, of which >25% are sports-related. The few non-sports channels are pixelated and prone to blacking out and/or freezing frequently (we're talking every 2-3 minutes). I feel like the hotel tries to make up for corner-cutting, lack of knowledge and customer service by extending the offer of free breakfast -- which may be the only bright spot in my otherwise dismal stay. I was excited about staying in a property close to downtown, but now I'm wondering if I should've abandoned the Courtyard for the often-substandard Fairfield on the outskirts of town.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Spent weekend here for D's sorority Dad's weekend. Location is very good . You can walk everywhere , so great for the bar hopping. Room is clean, but most notable is 46in or larger flat screen TV!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Location is great, connected to the Bloomington convention center and just two blocks off the main town square. Easy walking distance to great restaurants, bars, Kirkwood Avenue and the Indiana University campus. The lobby and reception areas were nice, but my room felt a little clinical. It was quiet, though (even next to the elevator), and there is free in-room wifi, free parking, and a huge TV. Only one small window that opened about four inches, which I quickly discovered because the smell of air freshener was absolutely overwhelming when I first came in. The bathroom light is on some sort of energy-saving mechanism, so when you first turn it on, it's very dim and then you have to wait for it to progressively get brighter. I'd already called the front desk for maintenance by the time I'd figured it out.

The staff was nice, but seemed slightly clueless. I had a problem with my key card on the second day that took four visits to reception to clear up. Then I had to wait to check out while they figured out how to input my Marriott voucher for credit.

All in all, not a bad place, but nothing terribly standout about it either. For the rate I paid ($200 a night), it was overpriced.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the elevator for the most quiet stay.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Stayed 3 nights in Bloomington. Location is OK, close to downtown, farmer's market, and Kroger. Room was clean, service was good. Will stay again if priceline will give me a good deal.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We're just wrapping up a stay here for the 2011 Animal Behavior Society conference, and I couldn't have been more pleased with this hotel. It's clean, the sheets and towels are of good quality, the bathroom facilities are spacious and new enough, with good water pressure and plenty of hot water. The walls are surprisingly thick, or we had super-quiet neighbors - not sure which, but it was quiet regardless. There's a lovely flat screen TV that we didn't turn on, and a well laid-out desk that we used non-stop. Beds are comfy, including the fold-out and cot. The A/C unit is effective, easy to just incrementally and quiet. The coffee provided in the rooms is tasty, the free stuff in the vacuum pitchers downstairs not so much, but then I'm a coffee snob and almost never impressed by stored coffee. We never tried out the food, as there's a wealth of options between the actual conference location and the hotel, but the dining space looks clean and pleasant. There seems to be ice water with citrus slices set out every day, and a plate of fresh cookies at the front desk. Not that conference goers ever need increased access to cookies, but they're there. Parking is ample, non-sketchy, and the spaces aren't too cramped.

The staff are amazing! Front desk staff are super friendly, and the cleaning people have been refreshing our towels in the right quantity (four) every day, without being asked or signaled to. It's pretty nice to not be treated as second class citizens for staying four to a room, and it's not something I expect.

I can't speak to the pool or hot tub, except to say that they look nice enough - not scuzzy or mildewy - so if we'd had time I might have used them. Exercise room is cramped, like in any other hotel, but well equipped. Oh, they also have two computers and two printers free for guest use. I did use that, and the printers in particular were great!

So yeah, stay here! Great hotel.

Room Tip: We used a discont online website - travelocity or this one, can't remember which.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This was my second stay at the Courtyard and it was very pleasant. The hotel is within a couple of blocks of downtown and is very conveniently located to restaurants and on-the-square shopping. Parking in lots adjacent to the hotel is free. Check-in was quick but the young woman who did our check-in was new. I asked for a King, Non-Smoking and was told "the whole hotel is non-smoking". What she did not mention was that she put us into a room with two queen beds. We were running a little late to meet friends so I didn't go back down once we saw the room and ask if this was an error or if there were no king-bed rooms available, we just took the room. The bed was comfortable and we slept very well but light sleepers might be forewarned that there is a fire department nearby and the hospital is only 3-4 miles away, so sirens are sometimes frequent (I would ask for a room at the back of the hotel if this is troublesome for you). It took me a little while to get the room cool enough to sleep, but I was able to get the thermostat adjusted; in some hotels no matter what you do the room is stuffy, but this one was quite comfortable despite the high heat and humidity outside. Our room was very clean and comfortable and was a good size with a huge flat screen TV. Our room did not have a refrigerator. The hotel does have a nice indoor pool which we did not use but others were (it is visible from the elevators). The hot tub appeared to be drained. The hotel offers a breakfast buffet for $7.95 per person but we did not take advantage of it as we had to leave for a meeting. This hotel is about the best if one wants to park and walk to shops, restaurants and bars. Free chocolate chip cookies are offered at the front desk, water with lemon in the lobby in the afternoon and coffee in the morning; free USA Today and Wall Street Journal by the elevators. Although I have a membership card for this hotel chain, we got a very good rate through Priceline for this stay. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If you are comfortable using Priceline, start the bidding at half the rack rate and work up in $10 i...
Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple