“Terrific staff and location”

Courtyard Bloomington
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed in a king room for one night, after delivering an IU student back to campus. The hotel is located just a couple blocks from the downtown square (a 5 minute walk) and just several blocks from the beautiful IU campus (a 10-15 minute walk up Kirkwood St. to the gates). The hotel has a large parking lot, and it was easy and convenient to park my car there and leave it until I was ready to leave Bloomington.
The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly: the front desk clerk checked me in quickly and readily answered my questions about the hotel and the area, and a member of the housekeeping staff came to my rescue when I couldn't get my room keycard to work (she took the faulty card down to the front desk and returned within moments with a replacement, saving me the trip - I was also impressed with her sensitivity to security issues).
My king room was large, with quite a bit of open space; the room and the bathroom were spotless, though not luxurious or updated. My room was on the 3d or 4th floor facing the street - early in the evening I heard street noise, though that abated and it was quiet after about 8:00 p.m. If I return, I would stay at the Courtyard again, though I would probably ask for a room on the back side (I was given a choice when I checked in).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Thank you! We appreciate the detailed stay experience. This information is very helpful for other potential guests. We look forward to your return and your future positive comments!

Warm regards!

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

My son and I stayed here while visiting the Indiana University campus. Pros - great proximity to IU campus, cleanliness, helpful front desk employees, and fresh popped popcorn and yummy cookies in lobby. Cons - noise from other rooms through the walls and breakfast was
Ok not great. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay! We think we are a great hotel to stay at if you are visiting Indiana University! Ill make sure to pass on your comments about the great staff!

Thank you!

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Exactly what I've come to expect from renovated Courtyard properties - comfortable room with plenty of space, decent options at their cafe (remember no free breakfast) and good amenities for a mid-level hotel. Staff was helpful and friendly. Location was easy to access with (what seemed to be) a decent amout around. Would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for the kind words. We equally look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

This is simply a clean place to sleep. No restaurant, no lounge. But if you bring your own food or walk a few blocks for some, you're fine. Oh, and the walls can be pretty thin -- I was awakened in the middle of the night by a lengthy conversation in the hallway outside my door.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Courtyard Marriott Bloomington! We appreciate all feedback and are happy that you enjoyed your stay minus the noise. We are always seeking ways to improve the quality of our guests' stay; we understand that people talking in the hallways late at night can be a deterrent to a good nights rest. We will work on this!

Thank you!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

This really is a great property for the Bloomington/IU area. The location is top notch--you can really walk to everything except for the college athletic venues (but no hotels are really closr enough to walk to those), so bars, restuarants, & shopping can all be done by foot.

The rooms are big enough for a family of 4, & if you book a suite, those can accomodate 6 peeps with the sofa bed & a blowup-there is ample room. I have to confess that for an even better location & the use of my traveler points, we do prefer the Hilton Garden Inn, but as our family ages & grows bigger, we will now be staying here regardless as the HGI has much smaller rooms & only a couple smaller suites.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay here. We love that you were able to easily move about the downtown area without having to worry about parking or the new parking meters. We look forward to hosting you and your larger family in our larger rooms in the near future!

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I am a big fan of Marriott. I try to stay with them wherever I go, and I know what amenities to expect because Marriott's high standards are pretty much the same everywhere. But I was here for a conference for two nights and was not impressed. Before I go on, though, I have to emphasize the service was wonderful. All employees I interacted with were great! It was specifically my room that underwhelmed me.

If you have a choice, ask for a room that doesn't face the street. The beeping garbage truck waking me up at 5 AM was not my favorite thing. I was lucky to be housed around quiet people, because the walls are rather thin, too. I had no mini fridge to keep food and water in. For the prices this hotel commands, every room needs a mini fridge. And the tap water tasted like chlorine. At least they kept drinking water available downstairs by the front desk (the space isn't big enough to fill water bottles there, though).

I also disliked the bathroom.The tub is very rounded on the bottom and, as such, is slippery as sin. The shower curtain didn't even cover the length of the tub. The towels placed in the bathroom were scratchy to the point of hurting my skin and were practically unusable. I found out the next day by asking the housekeepers that there actually were nice, fluffy towels available (they let me take a few back to the room)...was I just not good enough to get fluffy towels in the first place?!

At first I felt like I was nit-picking at the little things that I didn't like. It wouldn't have done me any good to complain, though, since the hotel was full and the rest of the rooms were probably like mine. Marriott hotels are supposed to be a little more luxurious, and I was getting more of a Days Inn vibe. That is not what your guests are paying for. The ONLY reasons I liked staying here were the location and the great employees. The next time I come to B-town, I'm willing to stay further away from downtown for a better (and/or cheaper) room if this is all you've got.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Hello! Thank you for writing a very thoughtful review of the property. I certainly take all of the criticisms and work on solutions to make it better for your next trip here. While we focus on guest service, sometimes its the little things that can really change the idea of a great stay. As far as the beeping of the trash truck early in the morning, I have placed a service call to change the times of the pick up. I am sorry for the condition of the linen that you encountered. I will work with our linen rep and see if we are able to change the detergent levels and make them softer for you. Thank you for all of your comments; we will never be able to improve without the help of our guests.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 25 September 2013

excellent courtyard. clean, well run, friendly, and very helpful for all your needs. really a nice place to stay. A very well run Courtyard, and very close to campus. breakfast area was very clean, food was enough to get you going for breakfast, and good enough for a lunch or dinner.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for noticing our cleanliness and guest services. We talk about these two topics every day in our staff meetings! It is a great feeling to be able to report to the staff that their hard work pays off and really makes a difference for our guests!

We hope to see you again soon!