“Can't say enough wonderful things in one small sentece!”

Scottish Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Bremen B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 March 2009

This trip was my first bed and breakfast experience. It was also my first girls get-a-way. I can't say enough good things about Homer and Brenda. They are the most hospitable and homey couple ever. I so enjoyed every minute of every day there. It was relaxing and rejuvenating. The girls and I have planned to make this an annual occurence. You should too!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 March 2009

I am 36 years old and I have never been treated with such love and kindness from people I did not know in all my. The food was spectacular!!! KUDOS to Brenda. The warm coversation over coffe and tea was delightful. I would highly recomend to all the world to experience the presents of Brenda and Homer in their warm and inviting home. God is Good all TheTime!!!
With much Love
Michelle

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2008

I have never been treated so badly by an innkeeper. We go to bed and breakfasts a lot and have generally had good experiences. We found Brenda to be controlling, confrontational and not at all accomodating. From the minute we walked in, she was all over us.

I had made prior arrangements with her to drop my four dogs off early so we could go to South Bend to pick up my son. When we returned from South Bend she acted like she was really surprised to see the dogs there. They were in the outside kennels, we brought all our own food and bedding, she didn't have to do anything with them. They were quiet and well behaved.

It was downhill from there. We had booked the place two months in advance and I had talked to her on the phone about the dogs. She cracked on me regarding the amount of clothing I brought (staying for a week?) in a very snarky voice the minute we walked through the door.

When we checked in she said nothing about not being able to eat in the room but when we returned with some food one night she told us we had to eat in the pool room, which was about 95 degrees and totally humid. It was a hot weekend, we were there for two nights. I mentioned the heat one evening and said we'd turned on the air con. She immediately asked what temp, I said I didn't know, my son had set it and she informed me that we had to have it at 74...I think we're the paying guests, I can't see why our comfort should be ignored. The place was okay, clean, very generic decor, almost like a chain hotel, the food was good but Brenda spoiled it with her bossy, aggressive manner. WE did have a great breakfast conversation with the other guests on our last day.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank MHCFortWayne_IN
Reviewed 21 October 2007

There were five of us who stayed one night for the "Girls Night Out" package. Brenda, the owner, greeted us at the door and was very friendly the whole time. She arranged for in-room massages and the Amish dinner in Shipshewana. After we returned from dinner, we took a swim in the pool. Not only were there snacks and drinks laid out on the dining room table, Brenda's husband came to the pool area and asked if we wanted hot apple dumplings and ice cream, and proceeded to bring them all to the table in the pool area for us! The only people "lurking around" were other guests, and everyone was friendly and seemed happy with the accommodations. Breakfast was very tasty - homemade egg casserole, potatoes, sausage, fruit, and a nice assortment of homemade breads and jams. Sensible, filing portions, after all, it's just breakfast. I don't know what more the other negative reviewers expected. The accommodations were very attractive, modern and super clean. We didn' t experience any of the negativity with Brenda and her husband that other reviews indicated; but, keep in mind, at a B&B, you should mind your manners. You are still technically a guest in someone's house, and that's the way we viewed it. It was worth the $40+ per person we paid, for a nice overnight outing with friends. We are hoping to get there again in the next six months.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2007

Great B&B! On a business trip up from Florida, The couple running the B&B were so helpful and gracious with accomodating me and my schedule. Their warmth and friendliness made it feel like home. The room my wife and I stayed in (King room) was immaculant, spacious and very romantic and private. I can't say enough good about the whole experience. If I get back to that area I will be sure to stay there again. I enjoyed visiting with other guests from Oregon, Airizona, and Michigan. Everyone was so nice.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 March 2007

This place is a real gem, not to be missed. Owners made you feel at home. Gorgeous bedrooms, wonderful breakfast,great conversation, and tremendous outing suggestions from Brenda ,the owner. Even walking around outdoors had great vistas. Don't miss this place for a real Indiana treat.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2006

The hotel looks nice, but I have never met two more inhospitable people in my life! They have no business owning a B and B. The woman running the place is uptight and accusatory ALL of the time and her husband lurks around...it's just creepy. Someone else mentioned the dog kennels and they were right! There was a dog staying there with its owner and I can only say that I am glad I didn't bring my own. I would have turned around and left! Me and my S.O. were treated as if we were beneath them and if you hang out around the house during the day, they make you feel like you are intruding on their private time. We requested an early breakfast because we had to leave early and we were refused. There was a card on the dresser when we checked in saying that we could request it if we needed to but she told us that breakfast time is clearly stated and checking out early isn't a good enough reason for her to "dirty her kitchen" twice! I was appalled! I think the person who gave this B and B a 3-star rating was being way to generous. The rooms are nice and clean but that's all this place has going for it, the environment is certainly anything but romantic!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Cambria605

Been to Scottish Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!