“Excellent Accomodations! We would stay again.”

Scottish Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Bremen B&B and Inns
Indianapolis
“Excellent Accomodations! We would stay again.”
Reviewed 23 June 2009

We stayed 2 nights in their best room (King Suite). The inn is extremely clean and well-maintained including an Amish chambermaid. Generous, delicious, and exotic breakfasts are some of the best we have experienced at any B&B. The innkeepers are pleasant and very knowledgeable about the area. They also provide a constant supply of treats and home-made desserts. On our second night the inn was completely full including the cottage out back, but the high level of service was maintained throughout.
The inn has many amenities including a pool and high speed wireless internet. The only two small items to note for the discerning traveler are your preference for sleep number beds (All rooms have them) and there is an occasional train in the distance.
They have a great country location just outside Bremen between US 31 (South Bend) and Nappanee that provides easy access to lots of activities. We recommend:
- In room massage services from Fran (1hour $60)
- Potato Creek State Park, 17 miles (Swimming, Fishing, Canoeing)
- Rentown Country Store (Get there early for fresh Amish breads, pies, etc)
- The Vine restaurant in Plymouth, 16 miles
Avoid the Wooden Peel in Bremen (Long wait, average food)

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Denfish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 June 2009

My wife and I had been driving all day, and we'd lost an hour coming east from Wisconsin. Losing an hour of my life was something I didn't take lightly, so you can imagine my lack of enthusiasm when we reached the Scottish Bed & Breakfast. We came in and Brenda immediately welcomed us and sent us to our evening of a horse and buggy ride along with an authentic Amish supper. And it was good

The room was a little cramped and a bit crowded. But the bed was comfortable. My only gripe with the room was that there was no refrigerator in it; however, we had FULL access to the refrigerator in the pool room, so all was forgiven. We slept well and at 9:00 the next morning had breakfast. It. Was. Superb!

Brenda and Homer (the proprietors) made, what I call, "mystery breakfast pizza." It had cheese, sausage, filling, and a flaky crust. Brenda refused to tell us her secret, but it was absolutely wonderful. There was fresh coffee and fruit. Coffee cake that was to die for. Then I went for a swim. That was a bit disappointing. The pool was dark and cold and VERY shallow. And since children aren't allowed to stay (That's a good thing in my opinion; I would think someone who wanted to bring children along might consider that a drawback), I wondered why it needed to be so.

But anyway, my wife and I went for a long walk with our dog (dogs are allowed. This was a HUGE reason why we loved this B&B!) through the country, and when we came back it started raining. That afternoon, while the rain was coming down, we stayed in and watched crime noir films from the Golden Age of Hollywood until the evening.

Since everyone had gone out antiquing for the day (There is an Amish auction every Tuesday and Thursday in a nearby town, and there are almost as many antique shops in the area as there are quaint, Amish homesteads.) the B&B was extremely quiet, and very relaxing. I took my dog out to pay ball in their massive grounds (that Homer keeps impeccable), then read in my room with my wife.

Herein lies another complaint that is not the fault of Brenda and Homer. With such an ideal idea for a B&B (Amish themed in Amish country), there is, as it should be, high demand for rooms. It is thus necessary for the rooms to be smaller because of the amount of people who want to stay at the Scot. That said, since the rooms are smaller, there isn't much space to actually get comfortable in. There was a queen sized bed, the dresser and TV/DVD player, and a red "chair-couch" that I barely fit in. So I ended up reading on the bed. This was fine, except I had to do just about everything on the bed. That might seem like a good way to spend a few days with my wife. Unfortunately there was simply no room to do ANYTHING but sit still on the bed. That is my only real complaint, and again, there's really nothing that can be done about it.

The final morning Brenda cooked up this phenomenal oatmeal souffle (sp?). It was like cake with a cinnamon-sugar caramelized coating. Fresh strawberries and crisp bacon were served on the side, with the obligatory (and delicious) coffee and coffee cake. My wife and I decided that there were two components of this being one of the best B&Bs we've been to.

One, Brenda and Homer were extremely accommodating. We came late for the Amish buggy ride and dinner, Brenda made sure we got there. We had a dog we adopted from the Humane Society, and she completely understood our aversion to having him stay in the kennel in the back (there are three or four good sized dog kennels on the property for guests with bigger dogs; they allowed our smaller beagle/lab mix stay in a crate in our room. Sweet!), so she allowed us to keep him in our room. We had brought cheese from Wisconsin, along with other perishables, that she allowed us to store in the fridge in the pool room. We're vegetarians and she altered her meal JUST FOR US! And those were just the big things they did.

They were more than accommodating, and genuinely wanted our time there to be special. And it was. I will most definitely be calling Brenda next summer for our next vacation. I HIGHLY recommend it!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aphclyde
Brenda53, Owner at Scottish Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 22 June 2009
Homer and I appreciated their kind words and look forward to their visit next year with Buddy (their beautiful rescue dog). We just wanted to clarify a few points. They stayed in the "Value Room" (Green Room) ONLY $99 a night. That room is a little smaller but beautiful with private bath. The other three guestrooms are huge (they never saw the other rooms). The Loft Room has it's own small refrigerator in it and two beds. King Room, king bed, jacuzzi tub, and private patio. Homer and I are so happy they enjoyed their swm in our full-size indoor pool. We keep the heat at 84 degrees, the pool is clear with a beautiful "new" sky blue liner. The pool is 4 feet deep and perfect for cooling off or swimming laps. There are other common areas around the B&B to enjoy reading or visiting, instead of just being in your room. The 2,000 sq, ft. pool room with comfortable chairs, the entrance area with sofa and chairs, and the outside garden patio area are ALL perfect for just relaxing in the quiet B&B. I hope our special guests considerate one of the other oversized guestrooms next year that will accommodate all their needs. Thanks again! Homer and Brenda Miller, Innkeepers/ Owners
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 12 June 2009

The iris along the front walk were beginning to bloom as we arrived at the Scottish Bed and Breakfast. We were greeted warmly by our hostess and invited into a relaxing, clean area suitable for visiting with other guests or watching TV. Our hosts were knowledgeable regarding places of interest in the area and information was readily available. We especially enjoyed our visit to a working Amish farm that was arranged by our hostess. Our Amish hosts prepared and served a delicious meal, took us for a buggy ride, and graciously shared with us information about the Amish lifestyle. We stayed in two different rooms at Scottish Bed and Breakfast, each one with its own charm. We especially liked the sitting area in the Antique room--a lovely space for reading a good book. The Jacuzzi tub in the King Room offered a relaxing soak after a day of visiting the Amish store in Rentown, flea markets, and other tourist attractions in the area. The breakfasts were delicious and filling. (I never had "breakfast dessert" before.) We were surprised by freshly-baked cookies before retiring to our room one evening. Yum! Tea grown by our host was delicious brewed hot or served cold. Our hosts were attentive and friendly without being intrusive. They are a delightful couple! My husband and I would highly recommend a visit to Scottish Bed and Breakfast. Visitors will not be disappointed. We look forward to returning next time we visit Northern Indiana.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Rensselaer, IN
Reviewed 10 June 2009

B&B in the country, but close to town. Owners made breakfasts of all homemade specialties, including breakfast dessert. Fresh homegrown Amish tea, homemade pastries, fresh fruit, stuffed French toast, and bacon/sausage made the breakfast a feast. Nice cozy and spacious rooms. All the amentities including an indoor heated pool. Owners are very friendly and accommodating. Gave us directions to eating places and good Amish bakery. We came home with lots of goodies. Good for families, couples or single people. Definitely recommend this B&B.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Crown Point, IN
Reviewed 17 May 2009

Brenda and Homer were the kindest, most genuinely friendly hosts we've met yet, and we've been to several bed and breakfasts. They went above and beyond to meet our needs, including recommending local activities, places for dinner, and setting out snacks for us. Great food, great people- need I say more??

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gwedding2005
Indiana
Reviewed 26 April 2009

Brenda & Homer always provide a safe, pleasant "home away from home"!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Michigan
Reviewed 22 April 2009

My husband and I visited the Scottish B&B for a mid-winter get-away. We had a wonderful time! Brenda and Homer were friendly, gracious hosts who took very good care of us. The accommodations were top notch, the room very comfortable and oohh...breakfasts delicious. The quiet country side was calming and serene. Brenda was very helpful in pointing out local restaurants, activities and interesting destinations. The subtle touches of Scottish terrier themed decor, the Scottish B&B namesake, were delightful. We loved the exceptionally well behaved resident Scotties. The kennel facilities for visiting pets are 1st class. Brenda and Homer even arranged for us to have dinner with an Amish couple. It was an interesting exchange of views and lifestyles.. very positive and quite memorable. We even went on a buggy ride. It was fun to view the country side from inside an Amish buggy going at a slower "horse-power" speed.

Thank you Brenda and Homer, for a very memorable and relaxing getaway. We look forward to seeing you soon.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bremen
The Inn at Amish Acres
Morris Inn
Morris Inn
#1 of 29 in South Bend
Holiday Inn Express Plymouth

Been to Scottish Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!