“Excellent hotel for business”
Review of Metropolitan Hotel

Metropolitan Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Paleo Faliro
Sigtuna, Sweden
“Excellent hotel for business”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I've stayed in the Metropolitan several times, always for business, and find the hotel very nice.
I must confess that my rooms have always been the executive rooms - the ones on the 7th floor with a terrace which are spacious and well equipped. I am picky about my beds and I always sleep very well here. YES - there is road noise as the Syngrou Avenue in front is a very busy road but this doesn't bother me. The hotel's age is beginning to show in places but I've been told that a renovation is being planned.

Entering the hotel, the Lobby appears grand but not overwhelming. Staff have always been friendly and helpful. There are two restaurants on the ground floor: One in which the breakfast is served and another "bistro-styled" restaurant which I've never tried.
On the 8th floor is a terrace restaurant and the roof-top bar. The food up top is very nice as is the view. With a table near the edge you have a lovely view over Athens leading up to Piraeus and the sea. The monster construction between the hotel and the sea certainly does not add to the view but the food, atmosphere and "Athens by-night" view compensates for that to make it a very nice experience. In the interest of full disclosure, I am generally not a fan of hotel restaurants so this was a positive surprise to me.
I should also add that the breakfast is sumptuous - well equipped and fresh.

Transport to the city's central parts is very easy - grab a cab on Syngrou avenue (the main road outside the hotel) and between 6-9 Euros later you're in the heart of the city (make sure they switch on the meter...).
If you're planning to eat elsewhere near the hotel - head due south from the hotel (ca 10 min by foot) to the area around Place Ntavari and Iannou Fix where there is abundant choice of local restaurants (not geared to a tourist market). Or take a can to Flisvos Marina (5 min, 3-4 Eur) where there several nice bars and restaurants with lots of beautiful people in the midst of the marina.

I find the hotel to be a good hotel. Well placed for access to central Athens, Piraeus and other business districts. I'd recommend the hotel to both friends and colleagues without hesitation.

Room Tip: I prefer the executive rooms. Costs a little more but you get sooooo much more for those extra Euros...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Cragrat_DL
GMAthensGreece, General Manager at Metropolitan Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Cragrat_DL,

We sincerely appreciate your time taken to write your nice comments regarding your stay here at the Metropolitan Hotel.

It was a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay in our spacious and clean rooms, the view and the variety of the breakfast buffet, the quality of food and the location of our hotel.

We also glad to read that you found our staff friendly and professional and your kind comments have already been shared with my team members.

Thank you again for your time and we all at the Metropolitan Hotel Athens looking forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Metropolitan Hotel, Athens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were forced to stay here because we were part of a package tour. The lobby, breakfast, and gym were actually exceptional, but everything else was mediocre to disappointing for what we were told was a 5 star hotel. It may be that Metropolitan took this property over and refurbished it just enough to make it feel like other Metropolitan hotels. We have stayed at other Metropolitan hotels in other countries, but this one by far was the most disappointing. The rooms were warm and when we got to our room, someone left the window open and so it was more warm than usual. It took a while to get the air to cool the room. The towels were not good quality and the room mattresses were quite hard and stiff. there was only one pillow per sleeper. The furniture in the room and carpeting were stained and looked like they had experienced a great deal of wear and tear. The TV was an old school tube color tv that took forever to turn on. No 5 star hotel I know of still has old school TVs - they are all LCD or flatscreen TVs. Not even a 2 star hotel we stayed at the end of our stay had an old school tv. The location of the hotel was kind of disappointing as well. it was close to a bus line and major street, but there were only 2 tavernas close by where we could eat. The closest actually had decent food at reasonable prices, but if you don't want to pay an expensive cab fare, you basically have to walk a great distance to a bus kiosk where you can purchase a bus ticket to take the bus. The bus will not take change, just tickets. The grocery store was also a trek (about .25 miles). Thankfully, we didn't have to stay that long. In all fairness, the whole experience was not disappointing. The front desk staff, bartenders, and cleaning staff were very friendly and helpful. Also, one really cool thing was that they had a hotel shuttle that dropped you off at the City Centre near the shopping district. That was a nice amenity, but if you're paying 5 star hotel prices, I would recommend another hotel closer to the City Centre with more modern amenities.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Homer P
GMAthensGreece, General Manager at Metropolitan Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Homer P,

First and foremost we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience regarding your stay here at the Metropolitan Hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies for not having fully met your expectations. While I would not wish to make any excuses, we like to inform you that there is a plan to review the status and equipment of our rooms and act accordingly when needed.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments and we hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to welcome you back in the Metropolitan Hotel.

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I had been here during the month of May and the stay was quiet good
The lobby and restaurant was very inviting and the over all stay was good one
The breakfast was good
The bar has an good view of Athens city.
You can take a cab from here to your area of interest and cabs are easily available .

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank ritesh_gia
GMAthensGreece, General Manager at Metropolitan Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear ritesh_gia,

We sincerely appreciate your time taken to write your nice comments regarding your pleasant stay at the Metropolitan Hotel.

We were very pleased to know that you were satisfied with the variety of our breakfast buffet, the view from our roof top bar and the location of our hotel.

Once again we thank you for your valuable comments and we are looking forward to welcoming you back again at the Metropolitan Hotel Athens.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The first impression of the lobby was very good. Modern, clean and inviting. When we got to our room the furniture was dated and dirty and the carpet was the same. The rest of the room was fine. The most disappointing part of the hotel was the unfriendly and at times even rude staff. I could not help but feel we were intruding on the staff at the roof top bar. They wouldn't come and take our order so we went to them. When they delivered our drinks she was literally slamming them on our table. No smiles. No thank you'd. No way I am going back. The hotel needs to give their staff a course on customer service as this was not the only episode we had. Although the others weren't rude, they sure weren't friendly either.
There is really nothing close to the hotel, at least in walking distance. The Plaka is a 10 minute taxi ride which isn't bad but is still 6 or 7 euros each way. The "view" of the Acropolis is non existent unless you have a pair of binoculars handy. Wouldn't recommend staying there unless or until the attitude of the staff changes.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bigfro
GMAthensGreece, General Manager at Metropolitan Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Bigfro,

We greatly appreciate your time taken to write your comments regarding your stay at the Metropolitan Hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies for not having fully met your expectations. While I would not wish to make any excuses for the lapse in our service standards I would like to assure you that this is not reflective of the normally high standards that are provided at the Metropolitan Hotel.

I would high appreciate if you could drop me a note to my personal e-mail zaglaridou@chandris.gr and let me know more details about your stay.

Yours Sincerely

Travellers are raving about these Paleo Faliro hotels

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The hotel looked nice from a lobby/rooftop bar perspective but the rooms were quite dated. The rooms seemed to be dirty and the towels could have used some bleaching. The wash clothes looked like rags - I actually thought they were rags left behind by the cleaning staff only to have them replaced by equally looking rags the next day.

I thought the buffet breakfast was quite good and we had a buffet dinner one night that was very good. It is conveniently located to plaka and is only a short cab ride away - roughly 10 euros a trip.

We however had one atrocious experience with the roof top bar waitress. She seemed really ticked off to serve us and when she brought our order to us she slammed down every glass and plate as she put it on the table. For over priced drinks - we didn't deserve to be treated like that. The waitress ought to be employed elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear SpartaWhiskers2014,

We greatly appreciate your positive comments about the breakfast buffet, the dinner buffet you had in our restaurant and the location of our hotel.

We have taken onboard your comment for outdated rooms and we are pleased to tell you that there is a plan to review the status of our rooms and act accordingly when needed.

I would be grateful if you could send a separate note to my personal e-mail, zaglaridou@chandris.gr and let me know for more details about your stay.

Once again we thank you for your time and we hope you will reconsider and give us a second opportunity to welcome you back in Metropolitan Hotel and prove that we can serve you better.

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I do stay in this hotel time to time. First, the location is not far from city centre . You can take a taxi by paying 10-15euro. It is convenient if you are on a business trip. But keep in mind that it is far away from metro station. There is no station near by. The rooms are rather small but enough comfortable for short stays. The hotel is used for tourist groups and events. So lobby area can be noisy mostly. The staff is helpful and kind. Breakfast is great, it does worth to save additional 1/2 hour in the morning to enjoy it.

Room Tip: Hotel provided shuttle service to the city centre. Dont forget to ask time table in advance.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Atacan O
Dear Atacan O,

We sincerely appreciate your time taken to write your comments regarding your nice stay at the Metropolitan Hotel.

We are pleased to know that you found the location of our hotel convenient, the rooms comfortable, our staff helpful and kind and the variety of breakfast buffet great.

We make every effort to maintain both high standards in our product and in customer experience and I am delighted to see that our efforts were to your satisfaction.

Once again we thank you for your kind comments and we all are looking forward to welcoming you again at the Metropolitan Hotel, Athens.

Pasadena, Texas
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The rooms are clean, good sized and there is a rooftop bar which has a nice view of the city of Athens! I wouldn't call this hotel spectacular but it is good enough. The best thing about the hotel is the free shuttle to syntagma square. We took the shuttle a few times which saved us some cab fare! (Cab fare is relatively cheap but some of my travelling companions took a cab and the driver took them on a detour and it cost them a bit).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
GMAthensGreece, General Manager at Metropolitan Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Michelle J,

We sincerely appreciate your time taken to write your positive comments regarding your nice stay here at the Metropolitan Hotel.

We are pleased to learn that you were satisfied with the cleanliness and size of our rooms, the view from the roof top bar and the free shuttle bus service to the city center.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paleo Faliro
Coral Hotel Athens
#2 of 4 in Paleo Faliro
Hilton Athens
#20 of 325 in Athens

Been to Metropolitan Hotel? Share your experiences!