“Fabulous steaks”

Top Notch Tavern
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Brookston
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We have gone to the Top Notch for years whenever we are back in Brookston. The hand cut filets are tender and juicy and the homemade onion rings addictive. Everything is tasty and prepared well. We always see someone we know even after moving from Brookston 30 years ago. This place makes me feel like I can go home again. The high quality of all the food has been maintained for all those years. The prices have of course risen but not a lot. A real treat.

Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

I come here every chance I get. They have a really simple menu throughout the week and everything is absolutely terrific! I never leave hungry!

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I had picked up a vintage RV in Watervliet MI and was trying to make time towards home. Hunger overtook me in country I wasn't familier with. I pulled down the street and tried the Top Notch.

Loved the homecooked meal, great service, real food that was not made far away and frozen. Real salad dressing, real service, real America. Another good reason to get off the interstates and away from the chains!

1  Thank vintagetrailer
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Steaks that melt in your mouth, amazing fresh onion rings (not frozen, but made from real onions just for your order!!), and homemade bleu cheese dressing for your dinner salad -- I've been going to the Top Notch since 1974, and I still enjoy it as much as the first time. They have a variety of hand-cut steaks (my favorite is the fillet mignon which comes in two sizes), excellent catfish in the shape of a fish (without the head) and frog legs. The "sirloin for two" hangs over the edge of the large plate. Dinners come with a perfectly done baked potato with your choice combination of four toppings (onion, cheese, butter, sour cream) and a dinner salad.

The atmosphere is pretty much the same as the first time I visited - cozy, friendly, and a little noisy. Dinners are served Friday and Saturday nights only. Get there early, maybe around 5:00 to avoid a wait. On the other hand, the wait is never long and is very nice - put your name in with the bartender and tell 'em how many in your party, grab a seat at the bar, in the back room, or just stand and enjoy a drink and visit. They'll call your name or come and get you when your table is ready. Be sure to check out the cool placemat menu's. One of the owners is an artist and draws them. Dinner is served until 9 pm, I think. Tables seat four, six or eight. Not a problem getting a wheelchair in the front door. No kids though, as the bar is in the room and this is Indiana with laws left over from the 1930's.

During the week for lunch and dinner they have a good selection of bar food: hamburger, cheeseburger, economy burger (the BIG one), fish, tenderloin (breaded & un), really tasty fries and mushrooms. Lunches and non-Friday/Saturday nights they do carry-out. Full bar, good assortment of domestic beers, not much imported except for Corona & Heineken, and no small domestics. This is not the place to get wine or frou-frou drinks. Coke products at fountain and in cans.

The old back bar is very nice. Two or three tv's above the bar usually have weather or sports, nice in case a big game is on or your date is really boring. This is consistently the best steak place anywhere around here. Unless you're a vegan, I'm pretty sure you will return to the Top Notch again and again.

3  Thank Dave A