All reviewsheritage roombeautiful historic hotelcrispy skinmeal timesflights of stairsfrench doorstasting platterschnitzelacross the roadtop floorbalcony overlooking the beachbottle shopamazing hotelmini fridgecorner roomhotel breakfastwalk in shower
Reviewed 20 May 2017

Firstly let me state that this is an edited review designed to address ridiculous suggestions made by the Hotel in its original response, such as that I may have expected cooking facilities in my room.

I booked a Deluxe Spa Room (on a half price offer) for 3 days in mid may as a birthday for me/mothers day treat for my wife. Due to availability issues, I was ‘upgraded’ to a different room. I specifically asked if the spa was big enough for two people and was assured that it was. I could not find a photo of a spa bath specific to a Deluxe Spa room on their website and so I accepted what I was told as accurate. When we arrived, the room only had a bath spa (sometimes referred to as a jetted bath) and not a spa bath as most people understand it to be. When I inquired whether a mistake had been made, it was explained to me that ‘the manufacturer claims it a 2 person bath spa’. Our experience with this ‘2 person’ bath was that in order to cover the jets before turning it on, the water had to be at a depth that would threaten to overflow when we both got in. Then, draining it to a safe level to occupy, the jets would blast water out of the bath when either of us stood up. Our experience was that it did not ‘feel’ like a two person bath. Additionally, experienced travellers know the difference between a bath spa and a spa bath, and I’m sure hotel staff do too. Had this bath been described accurately to me, I would not have booked the room.
Also, when we travel, we like to try and buy local pastries/produce/fruit etc. for snacking on later in the evenings but the fridge in our room was so small, it could barely hold the few drinks we bought with us. I have seriously never seen such a small fridge in a hotel room. We had to put our takeaway leftovers in the bin because the tiny fridge just could not hold them. We twice had to fetch a bucket of ice from the bar (which we kept in the bathroom sink) because there was no ice tray.
On the one occasion that we ate in the restaurant, we both ordered the chicken schnitzel. The schnitzels were not breast meat as you would expect for a meal costing more than $20, rather they were the cheaper pressed chicken you might expect from a pub front bar and not a hotel claiming a 4.2 out of 5 star rating.
Overall, our experience that of a series of variously sized disappointments, tempered by the fact that under the regular pricing regime, we would normally have paid double what we did. The ambiance was only that of any other renovated historic hotel, and I’ve stayed at plenty of these in country towns. Regarding their seaside location, our balcony room had a great view of the flats across the road and a generous serve of morning sun. The meal was no better than my local pub could have done. It was a very disappointing experience that I will not be repeating

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank babelfish06
Reviewed 18 May 2017

I stayed at the Largs Pier last night as i was in Adelaide for training. I had never been to the hotel before let alone stayed so i had no idea what to expect.
Wow, what a great hotel. My dinner was HUGE, perhaps a little too big but hey, I didn't go hungry and the breakfast was delicious. I had a room in the hotel itself which was clean and very comfortable. The customer service from booking the room, through to meal times and checking out was excellent.
First thing i said to husband when i got home was i'd like to go back for a night when we have no work agenda.
Put it on your list. It's a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: Book a room in the hotel and dream of the history and guests of a previous life...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank wehrdunn
LargsPierHotel, Front Office Manager at Largs Pier Hotel - Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2017

The Largs Pier hotel is very conveniently located to the Port Adelaide precinct and is frequently the hotel of choice for people working in the area. We work hard at providing quality accommodation and dining with excellent customer service. Thank you for letting us know you enjoyed your business related stay in a deluxe heritage sea facing room at this AHA award winning and heritage listed hotel. Look forward to seeing you again in holiday mode.

Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

Went to Largs and found it was a lovely place, the beach is peebles but stunning views over the water, you have to try nadinin's ice cream amazing. Would recommend anyone to visit here. The car park on Sea front is not that big so go early

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

My husband and I traveled from England UK to visit Australia.
Unfortunately our travel agent booked us into an apartment hotel in the 'wrong' side of town which didn't suit us at all.
It was getting on to be late evening.
We immediately telephoned Largs Pier Hotel-Motel to check if there were vacancies for the same evening, we spoke to a very helpful lady in reception who booked us in and advised the cost of a taxi.
When we arrived, the lovely receptionist was waiting for us.
Largs Pier Hotel-Motel is positioned opposite the sea with a pier. It's an historic hotel set in an amazing area. Gorgeous.
There is a 4km beach and shops with restaurants within walking distance. It's a beautiful area and definitely a must to visit in Adelaide.
Our allocated room (no. 3) was amazing. A corner room with each window (2 and a door leading to the balcony) giving us pier and sea views from each.
We have eaten all our meals in this hotel - Breakfast, Lunch, Nibbles and Dinner which were all delicious. Even if you don't stay in the Hotel we recommend you try the food which has very friendly and helpful staff. They have made us feel very welcome.
The train station/metro is 5 mins walk from the hotel and cost $10 Aus dollars (day ticket - can be used on trains and trams etc for the city) straight into Adelaide.
Thank goodness we moved hotels, as we have experienced this amazing Hotel and coast on Adelaide. Great memories for our honeymoon.
Thank you to the lovely staff in Largs Pier Hotel-Motel for a memorable stay.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2017

We stayed in the Deluxe Heritage Corner Room on the top floor (this was an upgrade, as our reserved room was not ready when we arrive a bit early- a very nice surprise!) The French doors opened up onto the balcony which has tables and chairs for the rooms to enjoy the sea view (or the side street if you need to avoid the glaring sun at mid afternoon) and enjoy your coffee or drinks and a smoke (gasp! I know! We haven't all given up the habit yet!) Since this is a historic hotel, the ceilings are very tall- I'd guess about 12 feet high, which I find absolutely wonderful. I personally love the charm of the older buildings that you no longer find in today's architecture. They are all modernly furnished without taking away from the historical charm and the grey, white and black color theme was so relaxing and cozy. The bathroom was small in modern standards, but the walk in shower was large and nice. The only down side was being a historic hotel, and being on the top floor, it did take a bit of time for the hot water to get up the pipes to us. I actually thought this was charming and let my mind go with the by-gone era experience (it wasn't hours- only a minute or two). The room has a mini fridge tucked into a piece of furniture that holds a huge tv, along with a coffee service (a billy/ tea kettle) and they provided chilled champagne glasses and wine glasses (we brought our own). We enjoyed dinner in the Pier Restaurant (they seat you with a menu, then you go to the 'bar' to order and pay). We had the Chicken Schnitzel and it was HUGE and the gravy was fabulous! So much that we had to take it away. They did forget to bring our garlic bread during the meal, but brought it up to our room for later (so we had left overs with garlic bread on the balcony much later that night). The hotel bar is delightful as well (a bit pricey- $7.00 for a glass of pop/soda) and has musical history (AC/DC got their start here, as well as the Little River Band, Jimmy Barnes, and others). The hotel is across the street from the Largs Pier so an early morning walk on the beach is easily and pleasantly done (which, yes, we did and have tons of gorgeous shells as our gift!). We were even greeted with a surprise of a Momma and baby dolphin in the bay about 10 feet off the water edge the morning we arrived. (no waves- just gentle and steady- great for swimming!) I highly recommend this place! (Its only a 5 minute drive from the more lively area of Semaphore if you want more choices of places to eat, by the way)

Room Tip: No elevator for hotel rooms- Grand Staircase climb only.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple