All reviewsheritage roombeautiful historic hotelcrispy skinmeal timespork bellyflights of stairsfrench doorstasting plattersalt and pepper squidschnitzelacross the roadtop floorbalcony overlooking the beachbottle shopamazing hotelmini fridgecorner room
Reviewed 7 November 2017

I had dinner here with a group of people. Excellent food it was: Lamb Pie, tender meat and the best trimmings. But so much more on the menu, come and see for yourself. The view is splendid, the service is perfect, the building is a historical gem.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 October 2017

Time to just sit back with a cold drink and enjoy the sunset. Relax with great friends and then order from the menu your favourite food. Salmon with crispy skin or best fish and chips ever with a fresh salad or vegetables.

Room Tip: Ask for sea views
Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

Avoid this place like the plague.

We wanted some nibbles and coffees. ‘Kitchen won’t open for 20 minutes’ said two staffers who clearly didn’t want to help.
Can you do some toasted bread and coffees?
Long look. Uncomfortable pause. ‘Go to the games room’, responded the tired-looking woman.
Thank you, I said.

Off to the dingy games room where I began again.
I was greeted by a distressed-looking lady who peering into my face tried to indicate that she had lost her voice. She struggled and began to write on a piece of A4 paper which had pre-written, ‘I’ve lost my voice.’
Under this she scribbled, ‘Go back to the bar.’

Off again to the bar where I was ‘served’ by the previous pair of unwilling foul-faced staffers.
Exhaling heavily, the female dismissively said she would get us a Toasted Cheese Sandwich and the coffees.

Off I toddled to my group thinking, why can’t she do the toast but can do the toasted cheese sandwich?
Soon, too soon, she arrived at our table. I gazed at the offering. Then it was clear why she could do the toasted cheese sandwich. A soggy, pressed-thin, vile toastie. Yuk. And as for the coffees, poor, just.
This is one of the most serious cases of can’t-be-bothered-itis I have come across.

I know what Gordon Ramsay would say!

I’ll add, Avoid this place like as you would an angry croc.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2017

Room was ok - not as big as I expected but roomy enough to lay out our bags. Bathroom clean and modern with walk in shower. Bed was comfortable. Being attached to the Largs Pier Hotel was a bonus as we had access to restaurant and pokies. Our room looked out on Largs Pier. Location suited us perfectly as we were visiting friends in Port Adelaide. Check in staff were friendly and there was free wifi.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the water obviously have a better view than those overlooking the car park.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
LargsPierHotel, Front Office Manager at Largs Pier Hotel - Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We hope you will return to stay at the Largs when next visiting your friends in Port Adelaide. Kind regards, Vicki Dean, Largs Pier Hotel.

Reviewed 20 May 2017

Firstly let me state that this is an edited review designed to address ridiculous suggestions made by the Hotel in its original response, such as that I may have expected cooking facilities in my room.

I booked a Deluxe Spa Room (on a half price offer) for 3 days in mid may as a birthday for me/mothers day treat for my wife. Due to availability issues, I was ‘upgraded’ to a different room. I specifically asked if the spa was big enough for two people and was assured that it was. I could not find a photo of a spa bath specific to a Deluxe Spa room on their website and so I accepted what I was told as accurate. When we arrived, the room only had a bath spa (sometimes referred to as a jetted bath) and not a spa bath as most people understand it to be. When I inquired whether a mistake had been made, it was explained to me that ‘the manufacturer claims it a 2 person bath spa’. Our experience with this ‘2 person’ bath was that in order to cover the jets before turning it on, the water had to be at a depth that would threaten to overflow when we both got in. Then, draining it to a safe level to occupy, the jets would blast water out of the bath when either of us stood up. Our experience was that it did not ‘feel’ like a two person bath. Additionally, experienced travellers know the difference between a bath spa and a spa bath, and I’m sure hotel staff do too. Had this bath been described accurately to me, I would not have booked the room.
Also, when we travel, we like to try and buy local pastries/produce/fruit etc. for snacking on later in the evenings but the fridge in our room was so small, it could barely hold the few drinks we bought with us. I have seriously never seen such a small fridge in a hotel room. We had to put our takeaway leftovers in the bin because the tiny fridge just could not hold them. We twice had to fetch a bucket of ice from the bar (which we kept in the bathroom sink) because there was no ice tray.
On the one occasion that we ate in the restaurant, we both ordered the chicken schnitzel. The schnitzels were not breast meat as you would expect for a meal costing more than $20, rather they were the cheaper pressed chicken you might expect from a pub front bar and not a hotel claiming a 4.2 out of 5 star rating.
Overall, our experience that of a series of variously sized disappointments, tempered by the fact that under the regular pricing regime, we would normally have paid double what we did. The ambiance was only that of any other renovated historic hotel, and I’ve stayed at plenty of these in country towns. Regarding their seaside location, our balcony room had a great view of the flats across the road and a generous serve of morning sun. The meal was no better than my local pub could have done. It was a very disappointing experience that I will not be repeating

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple