“If the got a decent cleaner for the bathrooms this could be a great site”

Sand Creek Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chesterton
Sand Creek Campground
Chicago, Illinois
“If the got a decent cleaner for the bathrooms this could be a great site”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We booked here as the state park was full. The campground has real potential, it has loads of space so you can pick a site to suit you even when arriving late on a Friday. It is close to Indiana State Park and it has a decent sized swimming pool which, when we were there was very clean (although it could do with opening before 10am) and a couple of swings for kids.

However the downsides are that female who I think runs the campground is not at all friendly and verges on being rude. This alone would not stop me returning but what would is the state of the toilets and showers.

The female block was disgustingly dirty, they looked fairly recently painted, however we went in shortly after the cleaner and there was still hair all over the floor, dirt and sand everywhere. Whilst I appreciate we were there after it had rained so dirt will tread in there there was no excuse for this just after he had cleaned and the whatever he did clean with had no effect on picking up the hair from the floor it was completely covered. In addition the toilets and sinks could do with a very good bleach to get rid of the yellow marking around them.

If they managed to clean the bathrooms, mark out the tent sites more clearly and ensure each had a decent table and fire ring (tables were old and were only at some sites and we had to get a fire ring from another spot) this place would be making them a small fortune.

As it stands I think it is very overpriced for what they offer. I'd love to hear it had improved and to go back as it is perfectly located!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank 1982_love_2_travel

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Lombard, Illinois
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

This was our 2nd time staying here due to all other parks full. Very in friendly staff person at check in. No marked sites. Open field with water and electric bot could not find a level site. Dirt bathroom only one other new blogs locked.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Scott S
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Local campers that live here are extreamly rud, loud , big dogs barking all day and nite. ( they feel like they own the campground ). They live at the end of campground avoid staying near those sites. Other than that its a great family place the owners are really nice.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Imgla
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I been going there every year for over 15 years and I love it!! Simple oh camping!!! Swimming pool, little forest with a little water creek going through it, in which I spent hours of nature fun in!! Now I have a daughter and she enjoys it as much as I have!! Rent a old fashion cabin nothing fancy but I have sooo many good memories in them!! Or sleep in a tent! :) I usually rent a cabin and put up tents :) Fishing near by, stores near by for the shoppers (like my mom lol) , now they have built some upscale stores near the site as well. There is a forest preserve with a beautiful path you can either walk or ride a bike through! For the adventurist kids who enjoy trees, plants, fishing,and bugs :) this is the place!!! I recommend 100%!!! Oh and now it has been renovated so I cant wait to go in June with family and friends!!!!

Room Tip: The room behind the swimming pool is the BEST!! Very private and wood deck is included!!! :)
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Marisol M
Covington, Indiana
Reviewed 6 August 2011

this is an old church campground made into a camping area. quiet and peaceful. if you want crowds and lots of activities go to jellystone but if you want space, country setting, quiet, and friendly neighbors this place is great. my kids loved it. they lived at the pool. restrooms were upgraded. owners are working on the place.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
10 Thank kweirdone
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2010

My husband and i came all the way down from quebec city, canada, to chesterton, sand creek campground, we went somewhere else before, and really didn't like it, but when we got to that nice family campground here, we really enjoy our stay, people were very friendly, location couldn't be better, close to everything we could wish, 40 minutes from Chicago, 10 minutes from fabulous beaches, 10 minutes from outlet shopping, 5 minutes from nice golf course.......restaurant and more.....our site was beautiful and spacious.....did i forget something/???? we really enjoy it......

Dyane & Mario Quebec,ca

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank dydy20
san francisco, ca
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Don't stay here unless you like damp, smelly cabins and gross bathrooms. I could hardly stand to take a shower! The pool isn't usable as it hasn't been maintained and is covered with green slime! The only good thing about this place is their proximity to the Dunes. YUCK, YUCK, YUCK!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank sfskl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesterton
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Porter
Best Western Plus Portage Hotel & Suites

Been to Sand Creek Campground? Share your experiences!