“The little hilton that couldnt.”

Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Chesterton
Chicago, Illinois
“The little hilton that couldnt.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I've stayed in Hilton's all over. This is without a doubt, the worst one ever. Let's run it down.

1. Made our reservation for a wedding we were attending. We initially believed we were to have a Friday/Saturday night stay.
2. We confirm the reservation on the week of, only to find out they have us down for Saturday only. Their desk associate "Megan" says she will push it out to Friday, and that it's not a worry, they have the space.
3. Guess what? We arrive, give our confirmation number...still no Friday/Sat reservation. We get our room for the nights, but it's pretty clear this kind of behavior is tolerated and ignored by management. This kind of inattention to detail can cause serious inconvenience to someone. We were fortunate, others may not be.
4. Their "all you can eat" breakfast for $9.50 is ridiculous. Comfort Inns put out the same kind of continental breakfasts in their hotel for free. Your best bet here is to walk the 30 yards to the Bob Evans.
5. The beds are "baby" size kings/queens. I.e: they are not the full king, or full queen.
6. The beds are hard, and I mean...really stiff and hard. Not at all comfortable. Good thing we were there for a wedding, the only way we got a decent nights sleep was to drink ourselves to sleep.
7. Keurig machines in the room. Why they bother with it, I do not know. They barely stock any coffee for it in the rooms. We had 1 reg, 1 english tea 1 decaf. 2 Non dairy creamers and a couple of really crappy paper cups. So essentially, whoever gets the reg brew is the lucky one, whomever is with you gets stuck with tea or decaf.
8. The WiFi was easy to connect to, but slower than molasses. Seriously, it was faster to tether my phone to my laptop for internet service.
9. Staff were reasonably friendly, or at least attempted to be. The vibe I caught with not only ourselves, but the people checking in with us was that they would rather be elsewhere, and hurrying things along.
10. Depending on the day, you can smell the chlorine scent from the pool all the way up to the third floor.
11. The door "privacy" locks are funky. If you stay here, when you leave your room, make sure your door closes securely. On our room door, and a few of our friends doors...the deadbolt would spring out upon leaving, keeping the door from closing securely.

I really wanted to like this place more. But, the rooms are priced too high for being in the middle of nowhere. The service is marginal, and while they suffer from little problems, they tend to add up during your stay. It's a Hilton Hotel in the middle of rural Indiana, trying too hard to be like a city Hilton.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AzraelDC
eileenhowat, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
I am so sorry you were so disappointed with your stay and wish you would have asked to speak to a manager while you were here. I have spoken to Megan about not extending your reservation as you asked and I want to apologize that it was not taken care of at the time you originally spoke to her. The breakfast is a full service one in addition to the hot and cold buffet. The cook is able to make pancakes, waffles, omletes and eggs anyway you would like and the cost is $8.95plus tax. The beds are standard king and queens. The Keuring machines are a HGI standard as well as the amount of cofee and tea. You are always welcome to contact the desk if you need more. There is faster internet service in the hotel for an additional fee of $4.95per day. I regret that you felt the staff was not welcoming. Please be assured they have been spoken too about the attitude you received. I have done a maintenance order on the problem you reported about the door. The rates of the hotel are comparable to all the hotels in the area.
Once again I am truly sorry for all the issues you experienced and I thank you for the completing the survey so that the same issues will not be experienced by another gues.
Asst GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is a very nice Hilton Garden location. Front desk staff was very helpful, we arrived late at night and the Bob Evans next door was closed, they recommended Gelsosomo's for a pizza delivery. Which turned out to be a very good suggestion.

Although right next to the freeway, the room was very quiet.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
eileenhowat, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for writing a review of the hotel. All review are extremely helpful. It was especially nice to read that the staff was helpful in finding you a place to eat.
Please visit again soon.

Apple Valley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Spent an unplanned night here during a driving rainstorm where I couldn't see the lines on the road any longer. I asked for a ground floor room and due to a misunderstanding on my part, entered the hotel through the wrong door on the lower level. The front desk person for some reason was there to meet us and was kind enough to go all the way back to the front desk to change our room so we wouldn't have to go outside and get drenched again. Their breakfast was outstanding. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Wow what a great review. Thank you so much. I am so glad that your stay exceeded your expectations. I hope you will stay with us again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel when we visited The Indiana Dunes on the Memorial long weekend. The front desk staff was more than helpful at check-in, knowing we have young children she helped us for early check in so we could start our vacation soon as we get there. All front desk staffs are really friendly. The room was nice and clean, beds are big. We are a family of 4 and we shared the beds fine. The pool is not huge but nice enough for the kids (age 7 & 9). There's a Bob Evans restaurant next door which is nice if you want a good breakfast. The only problem we had during our stay was the guests next to our room was extremely loud at 2 or 3am, they talked, laughed and slammed the door over and over again which was very annoying but what could we do, it was 2am! We for sure will return to this hotel if we come to this area in the future.

1 Thank Vivian R
Thank you for writing a review of the hotel. It is nice to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry about the noise next door. If that were to ever happen again please contact the desk and they will try their best to get the noise to stop. Please visit us next time you are in the area.

Brownstown Twp., United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

This hotel was set up very nicely. Large rooms that were very clean. Staff was also very nice. This was a business trip but I would definately stay here again with the family for a vacation. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

eileenhowat, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
I hope you do visit us with your family in the future. It was nice to read that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel. Thank you again

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Nice room, nice breakfast that was "made to order." friendly staff, room temperature too warm at night - hard to control. We arrived late and left right after breakfast so couldn't experience much of what the hotel offered. Convenient location - right off tollway exit - nearby gas station.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I want to apologize that you had a problem with the temperature in your room. I have had maintenance go in the room and check out what the problem was so that the next guest does not experience what you did.
Thank you for all the good comments you had about the hotel and I hope you will return in the future.

Houghton, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Not recommended! I spend about 50-60 nights in a hotel every year. The main purpose of my stay is to sleep. As such, my main priorities are a clean room, comfortable bed, and low noise. The room was clean, the bed was extremely uncomfortable and the hall noise was that of a low budget motel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

I was very disturbed to read your review. I want to apologize for all the problems you experienced. I wish you would have let the staff know of these issues before you left so that we might have been able to make changes and you would have had a better night.
I have contacted the maintenance dept so that they check out what the problem was with the bed. As for the noise, once again I apologize. If you ever stay with us again please inform the front desk staff so they can find out the cause and silence it.
Please give us another chance.

Asst GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesterton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage
Hampton Inn & Suites Michigan City
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Porter

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton? Share your experiences!