“What a fun place”
Review of Riley's Railhouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chesterton
Riley's Railhouse
Ranked #2 of 3 Chesterton B&B and Inns
USA
“What a fun place”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a very special place. Even if you are not into railroads and trains, this is where you want to stay in the Chesterton, Indiana area. Actually, there is not much traffic on the roads around Chesterton so it’s easy to get anywhere in Northern Indiana. The building and rooms are fun, clean, and tidy. Everything has a railroad theme and the Railhouse is right on a mainline to and from Chicago. So there is no problem train spotting because there are plenty of trains going by. And train spotting is popular around Chesterton as you will see with there always being someone around taking pictures of trains and it’s easy to get into just watching and listening to those long freight trains go by. And the owners, Richard and Anna, couldn’t be any nicer. Oh, Chesterton is a nice little village type town with some neat exploring to do. Don’t miss this place if you are in Northern Indiana. Actually, it would be a good vacation destination, with the Indiana Dunes very close by.

Room Tip: We stay down stairs in a cozy room for three nights. It was nice and close to the main meeting and e...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jcquests

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is our second stay here and we will most certainly return. My husband is a "train nut" and this is the only place to stay. Richard and Ann Marie are the perfect hosts and certainly make you feel welcome and part of their family. Can hardly wait until the caboose is finished but hope we can come back before then.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid of the train noise. If it isn't music to your ears they supply ear plugs.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My wife, my 18 month old, and I stayed there for one night and wished we planned to stay longer. The amenities are modern and comfortable, and the decorations are interesting enough to talk about for days. Rich and Ann were the perfect hosts. They took care of our every need and offered friendly conversation without being intrusive. It is truly an experience of its own, and I have already recommended them as a day trip to our family. AND THE BLUEBERRY PANCAKES WERE AWESOME!

Room Tip: Stay on the ground floor, but ask if the rail cars are finished yet. I wish I could have stayed in o...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cotton P
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed at Riley's for 2 nights - April 13/14 2014 and had an awesome experience. Richard and Ann Marie were awesome hosts, and they made our family feel very welcome from the minute we arrived, from offering us refreshments (they knew we had just arrived after a 6 hour drive) to taking out an arsenal of toy trains and tracks to entertain my 3 young children (2, 4, and 5 yrs old). Richard is a fantastic cook, and to make things even better, he tailored the menu to suit our tastes so every one of us enjoyed his breakfasts immensely. We stayed in the upper berth, and really enjoyed the room, from the little bunk bed for the children to the unique decor - everything was just perfect for our family of 5.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Choo4
Verona, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with family for a weekend visit with my daughter, who was acting in a 4th Street Theater production, right across the street. The other 5-star Tripadvisor reviews are 100% accurate. This place is an incredible gem: historic, authentic and charming, with comfortable rooms, an unbelievably grand and beautifully decorated common area (perfect for lounging in front of the fire with late night drinks), 2 resident sweetheart dogs, wonderful homemade breakfasts, and Richard and Anne Marie Riley -- hosts who could not have been more welcoming, generous and downright fun. Next time I visit my daughter, I'll definitely stay here -- even though she lives about 20 minutes away (and close to a couple of generic chain hotels). The hospitality and atmosphere at this place is worth the drive. And don't worry about the passing trains. They're not going to jolt you from your sleep. I was worried they were going to be a problem because I don't like to sleep with earplugs (which are provided), but I found the sound the trains make at night to be nothing but plaintive and soothing. All in all, Riley's Railhouse is a real find - can't say enough good things about it.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Carol B
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We absolutely loved our accommodations. We stayed in the upper berth. Our room was very spacious! Beautifully decorated in train motif. Very comfortable bed with plus bedding. The innkeepers have truly thought of everything from bath gel in the shower to ear plugs because of the trains that frequently pass. To say the place is extremely clean is an understatement... We have stayed many places...right up there with any 5 star hotel in cleanliness. We were treated each morning to a fabulous breakfast. Every effort was made to make our stay wonderful!! We enjoyed great conversation each morning in the great room. My husband of course was not disappointed as a railfan with the amount of trains that passed. Riley's Railhouse is a great location for anyone. Ten to twenty minutes to numerous attractions such as Lake Michigan, Lighthouse Outlet Mall, excellent train watching, and nice quaint small town with nice restaurants to name a few! Want to go to Chicago but don't want to stay there..no problem Riley's is within minutes of South Shore commuter train to Chicago. We can't wait to return!!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Albuqurque
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at Riley's Railhouse and we're already planning our trip back next year.
I found this Bed & Breakfast featured on a Rail Fan site called Railstream.biz and it was even better than it looked.
The Upper Berth was huge, more like a suite than a room. The king size bed was more comfortable than my own with delux cotton sheets and lots of pillows.
I thought I knew everything about trains but our host Richard Riley had a lot of information to share and I enjoyed talking to him.
Breakfast was great with plenty of Applewood smoked bacon, big blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup, a large fresh fruit platter and homemade banana bread with cream cheese.
The B&B is housed in a 1914 NYC Freight Station and is filled with Railroad antiques, art and Mr. Riley shares his extensive book collection.
There was a Kurig machine with a large selection of drinks to choose from and a big platter of fresh baked cookies.
We have stayed at quite a few B&B's but this one really made us feel so welcome we hated to leave!
I highly recommend this B&B for everyone, not just Rail fans.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jack C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesterton
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Porter
Best Western Plus Portage Hotel & Suites

Been to Riley's Railhouse? Share your experiences!