“Convenient location, good value”

Best Western Indian Oak
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Chesterton
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Clean, quiet rooms, nice view of the lake where you'll occasionally see a family of swans. The pool is basic but clean. Sometime offers Internet rates with a good discount. Many rooms have a fridge and freezer, rooms have flatscreens with cleanable remotes.

Room Tip: Lake side rooms are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Neil p, Manager at Best Western Indian Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2013

Thank you for writing a review for our hotel. We value each guests feedback and greatly appreciate you taking the time to do so. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. My staff and I thank you very much for your review and encouragement. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

A bit taken back by the upkeep of the lake and the hotel next door we booked online and were told we would get 20% off by booking online - but that didn't happen. The pool was cold - the hot tub was not inviting needs updated. We had a room with a whirlpool but not all of the jets worked and I question if it gets cleaned out:( I'm sure in it's day it was worth the price - but now - they are asking too much

Room Tip: we had a view of the parking lot on the first floor. The lake is not the hotels property so therefor...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Neil p, Manager at Best Western Indian Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Thank you for the review. We value every guest and the feedback about your stay is always encouraged. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. I would like to apologize for the whirlpool in your room not working properly. My staff and I depend a lot on our guests to let us know when something in our room is not working properly so we can get it repaired.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed here before Labor Day weekend and later that same week. It was a midway point for a trip farther north. The hotel is clean and has large rooms. Rooms also have a microwave and larger mini fridge with a separate freezer door. The lake is over grown with lily pads and looks a little sad. You do have a porch or balcony to sit outside and enjoy the outdoors if you like. I prefer the lake view to the parking lot view. We enjoyed watching the 2 swans that stayed at the lake. The breakfast was ok but when the hotel was not very full the hot foods were a little stale. I would definitely stay here again because it is clean and convenient for me.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the review. We value every guest and the feedback about your stay is always encouraged. I always like to hear when ex employees of this property come and stay with us. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to your next visit. My staff and I thank you very much for your review and encouragement.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Hotel is in a nice location close expressway, shopping and eating. I don’t know that I would call the suites “lakefront” since it is more of a marsh or lagoon. Hotel rooms and the entire property could use some updating but was comfortable for the three nights in town for a family wedding.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms are larger
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Neil p, General Manager at Best Western Indian Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Thank you for writing a review for our hotel. We value each guests feedback and greatly appreciate you taking the time to do so. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I understand that at first sight, some might think that our lake is full algae, but I can assure you it really is not. We have the lake treated monthly to prevent the growth of algae. The lake is filled with lily pads and over the years have taken over and for that reason you might have believed it was a swamp. My staff and I thank you very much for your review and encouragement. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed here in late August for three nights. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the staff was very friendly and helpful with directions and maps. Lots of places to eat nearby, and the train station to Chicago on the South Shore line was a short 10 minutes away. The European market in downtown Chesterton was really nice on Saturday. This hotel was central to all the activities we had planned, and we would go back again when we are visiting the Dunes.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 25 August 2013

This was, without a doubt, the biggest disappointment in hotels that I have ever booked. My husband and I were planning a quick getaway to explore the Indiana Dunes, and after looking at some websites of hotels in the area, settled on this place. The website portrays this place as a resort-like retreat on a lakefront, in a wooded setting. I had read a review that said that the property was "a little dated, but charming." I wasn't expecting anything fancy, but for $150/night, expected it to be clean, and as advertised.
So -- expecting resort-like, wooded, on a lake, a little aged but still nice, we booked.
Yes, there are trees, and there is a large body of something like water... but that is about it. The facilities are aging, unkempt, shoddy and dirty. The location was not at all what is advertised - the hotel is located directly behind a busy strip mall (you drive through the parking lot to find it), and right next to a busy highway. Along the parking lot are some wooded areas, half of which are sporting trees that have been hacked off at the stumps. Upon checking in and entering our room, we realized that the parking lot was this places best feature. Our "lake front" room was outdated, spartan, smelly and positively filthy. The furniture was all beat up and looked like something that had been picked off the end of someones driveway. Someone had spilled coffee, and nobody had cleaned it up. Dust floated through the air like powdered sugar. The ancient carpets looked as though they had never been washed. After a struggle to open the sliding glass door, and nearly falling through the screen because it was literally hanging from the hinges... we stood in dismay, staring at what was supposed to be the star attraction of this "resort." The patio outside the room was equipped with two dirty plastic chairs, set upon a steep slope of crushed gravel littered with poo. Yes, you read that correctly: poo. Lots of it. The water was obviously stagnant, absolutely still and so full of algae that one imagined sea creatures lurking beneath. Across this sludge, as our view, was the other side of this unfortunate hotel. All of this for the fabulous price of $150 a night. If I were only paying $70/night, and all I wanted was a semi-clean place to lay my head within driving distance of the beach, maybe... but truthfully, this place was so vile that I did not even want to sit down. It honestly reminds me of the type of horrid place that you would stay at if you were hiding from the law, on the lamb.

We turned right around and walked directly to the front desk, and informed the clerk that we weren't going to stay. (I have to also add that when my husband said that there was poo outside - lots of it - she said, "but it's not dog poop, it's goose poop" -- um, okay, that makes it better) She first tried to put us off by saying that there was no manager on site, and that their policy did not allow cancellations within 24 hours of scheduled check-in. In short, trying to say that we were out of luck. We insisted that she call the manager, and she did... the man on the phone said he would give us a discount, but nothing more. We again said that we weren't going to stay, so a discount wasn't going to work... and that if they would not agree to not charge our credit card, we would dispute the charge. My husband insisted that the clerk call the manager again and let him speak with him directly. She did, and in the end, we were assured that they would not be charging our credit card. The clerk checked us out, and we left. I had left a bag in the room, so when I went to retrieve it, I took these photos so that you could see what this place REALLY looks like. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MsNaz
Neil p, General Manager at Best Western Indian Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Please accept my apology for not being there on the day you visited my hotel. I would also like to apologize for you feeling mislead by our website (www.bestwestern.com/indianoak). I will definitely take a better look at it and make sure that I contact my sight administrator to correct that error. Yes we are located behind a strip mall full shops like Hallmark, a Chinese restaurant, and a Walgreens. Although we have no control over what establishments surround us, many guests have found it beneficial with their stay. The highway we are next to is highway 49 and it is pretty busy. I do agree with you that seeing the stumps there is unsightly. The company hired to cut out the trees just started on Wednesday August 21, 2013. Unfortunately they were not done during your visit. Outside of our Lakeview rooms we have limestone surrounding the rooms, for the reason that anything else just gets washed out with the rain. There is plenty of water fowl all over our property. They are not owned by the property, they are wild and untrained so when they have to go, they go. That is out of our control. On any giving day there is about a hundred of them outside our hotel. As much as we strive to keep it clean, it is a losing battle as you have seen. I understand that at first sight, some might think that our lake is full algae, but I can assure you it really is not. We have the lake treated monthly to prevent the growth of algae. The lake is filled with lily pads and over the years have taken over and for that reason you might have believed it was a swamp. I do apologize for not meeting your expectations, but please keep in mind that you have left a very negative review on a hotel that you did not stay in, or pay for. Upon you screaming at my staff and me not being on site, we released the hold on your credit card and you left free and clear. As you are entitled to your own opinion, we have hundreds of other guests that have stayed with us year after year and would argue your statements.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We had just had a horrible experience at a Best Western and were skeptical to stay at another. I have to say while its not a 5 star place, it was clean, quiet and the staff were quite pleasant. I would stay there again. All I wanted was a peaceful nice stay and I got it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Neil p, Manager at Best Western Indian Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Thank you for writing a review for our hotel. We value each guests feedback and greatly appreciate you taking the time to do so. I am very happy to hear that my staff made your stay at our property, enjoyable. Hopefully you decide to choose Best Western the next time you travel. My staff and I thank you very much for your review and encouragement. We look forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesterton
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
#1 of 1 in Porter
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage
Best Western Plus Portage Hotel & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Michigan City

Been to Best Western Indian Oak? Share your experiences!