“staff was not helpful”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Chesterton
New London, Indiana, United States
“staff was not helpful”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We booked a room for 2 nights and arrived on a Friday. On Saturday we had decided to go to the Dunes and put the "Privacy Please" on the outside of our door. We didn't want the staff coming in while we were gone. I had left my purse in the room with the peace of mind that with the sign on our door, nobody would be entering our room. We came back around 3:00 and the sign had been removed and our bed had been made and towels had been added to the bathroom. It unnerved me because they should have respected our privacy and not entered the room. We were back for about 20 minutes and someone on the staff had just let themselves in our room while we were in the room with out knocking or calling out "Housekeeping" or anything. She stated that she was sorry and that she didn't think that anyone was here. When my husband went down to talk to the manager he stated that unless we could tell him who it was then there wasn't any way he could address it. I was very disturbed by the whole situation. We were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary and wanted to be left alone and we had staff coming into our room twice without permission and with out calling out and nothing was compensated or done about it. It was inappropriate and we had felt violated by it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Neil p, General Manager at Best Western Indian Oak, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. First of all I would like to say congratulations on your ten year anniversary. After the manager on duty brought this to my attention, I went to investigate the intrusion that was done to you during your stay. The first housekeeper, the one that went to clean your room while you were out mentioned that she thought the sign on the door was saying that you wanted to have service. The signs look very similar so they can be easily confused. Especially during a busy weekend when they have many room to clean. I apologize about this error and I take full responsibility. As for the second housekeeper, she is my head of housekeeping and she was just checking rooms to make sure that were cleaned correctly. She mentioned that she did knock, but she used her key card to knock which makes it harder for you to hear her knocking. Since then I have gave her a heavy key ring to use to knock on doors making it easier for guests to hear her knocking. Although I understand that is no consolation to you, at least I know this will never happened again. My staff and I thank you very much for your review and encouragement. We hope that you will give our hotel another chance to prove that we provide a great service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Bloomington, United States
Reviewed 10 August 2014

If looking for a hotel near the Indiana Dunes State Park then I would recommend this hotel. The rooms are thin on furnishings and decoration but they are very large and the balconies are nice. The lake view rooms overlook a very small lake that has a lot of resident waterfowl (swans, geese, and ducks) so that is fun for young children to watch. It's fairly peaceful. The rooms are fairly quite with the occasional train in the distance blowing their horns. I'm not sure why they choose to do this in the middle of the night but it's worth mentioning as it woke me up a couple of times during the night. The king bed in our room was very comfortable. The free breakfast is fairly low rent but is the usual fare for hotels similar to best westerns.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am sorry that the trains that are located close to the hotel woke you up in the middle of the night. Unfortunately there is not much we can do about the trains blowing their horns. The wildlife that surrounds our property is very nice and young children love to sit there and feed them. My staff and I thank you very much for your review and encouragement and look forward to your next visit.
Beech Grove, Indiana
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The staff truely had a W.I.N. attitude: Whatever is necessary to exceed expectations. This is not the first, nor will it be the last time we stay at this hotel. The location is perfect, with easy access to the Dunes State Park, shopping and variety of dining establishments.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Steve S
Neil p, General Manager at Best Western Indian Oak, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. My staff and I thank you very much for your review and encouragement and look forward to your next visit.
Reviewed 28 July 2014

First I called to check on the availability of a king room. A gentlemen answered and told me that a double bed room was available but the king room with fireplace did not allow children. I got off the phone and immediately went to the website and reserved the room. The restrictions did not say anything about children not being allowed in this room. This was the first strike against them. We arrived and the attendant never said anything about the child in the room. The lake was more like a pond and very dirty. The room smelled moldy or smokey not sure but it did not smell good. The room was clean otherwise. The bed was horrible. It squeaked with every movement. Even my son commented how uncomfortable the bed was. I woke up with a stiff back. The breakfast was good but the room was was small and not enough seating. People were standing around the counters eating because of the lack of tables and seats.

1 Thank Chantel P
Thank you for writing a review for our hotel. We value each guest’s feedback and greatly appreciate you taking the time to do so. I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at my property. It is our policy that in our Specialty rooms we do not allow children in those rooms. On days when we are busy there tends to be a wait in the breakfast area. We do keep it full and make sure that there is enough food for everybody. It is my hope that you would give us a second chance with us after all of our renovations are complete.
Indiana
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We got to Dunes and spent the night a perfect place to stay if you want to visit Indiana Dunes State Park. Pool was a nice diversion for kids and plenty of space in the upgraded room for all three of us to have our own bed. We would definitely spend the night here again. So we could spend the day at the beach on lake Michigan. I appreciated knowing ahead that the breakfast were the traditional freezer, microwave type meal decent but nothing exceptional. Tables were kept clean. Also appreciated a reviewer telling us ahead no elevators. Not that big a deal but nice to know.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am happy to hear that your children enjoyed their time in our pool. Our lakeside rooms are large enough to accommodate a family. My staff and I thank you very much for your review and encouragement and look forward to your next visit.
Kalamazoo, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2014

On a trip to Chicago we decided to stay overnight rather than continue driving home as it was late. We arrived without reservations. Rooms were large,with plenty of room and a hide-a-bed couch. Breakfast was hot and fresh. Eggs, biscuits, sausage, gravy, bagels, bananas, coffee, and juice . Proximity to train tracks make it necessary to have a white noise source for night., unfortunately the fan had an automatic shut off so my husband slept through the trains but I went home exhausted. The hotel itself was silent and tranquil but the trains kept coming throughout the night. Beds were comfortable and water pressure was good,.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Neil p, General Manager at Best Western Indian Oak, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am sorry that the trains that are located close to the hotel kept you awake all night long. My staff and I thank you very much for your review and encouragement and look forward to your next visit.
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My family and I stayed here over the 4th of July weekend. The rooms were really nice and really clean. The staff was very helpful when asking directions and to find other activities for my children. We had a room with 2 queen beds but still had plenty of space. Loved the view of the lake and wildlife. Pool was very big unlike most of the hotels these days and was very clean and looks to have been updated. Thank you for the great stay and will be back again.

Room Tip: If your going to get a room u have got to get one with the lake view.