“"bad times at courtyard"”

Courtyard Columbus Tipton Lakes
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Columbus
Kankakee, Illinois
“"bad times at courtyard"”
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I've stayed at a lot of hotels, and all have had problems but they usually made up for them in other ways. We just wanted to "get away" and relax. So in looking, their website advertized a pool and hot tub, continental breakfast, you know.. the works. A little more pricey, but we figured it was worth it.
First, we arrived late at night, looking for the hotel. Going around the curve we almost blew a tire because we missed the entrance. Why? it was pitch black and no lights lit the dark driveway.
Second, when we got to check in we were informed the pool/hot tub weren't working-no notice on the website about that. no comps for it either when we said it was the main reason for booking there. We were told to walk across the street if we wanted to swim. Yea, right.
Third, we asked about the continental breakfast. No problem...for $7.50 a pop. Yea, right.
Fourth, when checking in, I was asked for a credit card..although I pre-paid online. Not a usual problem, except they charged me $9.12 for "incidentals", even before we checked in! They refunded the money after 3 days and my complaining about it.
Room was ok, nothing special but the treatment received and not even a "sorry about this" has left a bad feeling about any Marriot I would ever consider staying at.

Room Tip: call and ask detailed questions..no matter what their web site advertizes. It will save you from a b...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lightspeed555
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard Columbus Tipton Lakes, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations and I am actively working with our team to ensure safety is our first priority. I understand your frustration with our pool being out of service; we are in the process of upgrading the pool area and will have a beautiful new one shortly. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your comments on our breakfast selection and pool area in mind as we continually work to improve our guests’ experience. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area. Thank you again for making me aware of your concerns.

Warm regards,

Barry Volkers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

We waiting a long time for someone to come to the front desk. The lobby is beautiful, but the pool and hot tub were closed for repairs. We were very excited to get a room with a balcony because my friend smokes. Unfortunately, we found a wasp nest inside the light so we didn't sit outside very long. The breakfast buffet was very well stocked but it was $7.95. I slept very well. Nice place.

• Stayed November 2012
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 28 September 2012

A quick overnight stay at this hotel for business was pleasant overall. This is an older property but mostly well kept. The room featured a huge 46 inch flat screen TV, a soft but comfortable bed, and a generous work desk with free wi-fi internet. The bathroom and linens were adequate. The only flaw was an extremely noisy heater fan. Luckily the weather was mild so I didn't have to run it, otherwise the noise would have drowned out any phone calls or the TV. However, my business partner who stayed in a different room didn't have this issue so it's most likely a maintenance problem (Room 210 - management please take note).

Other nice things were a courteous and helpful front desk staff and a decent breakfast buffet featuring eggs, sausage, bacon and do-it-yourself waffles. There's also an indoor pool and fitness center that I didn't have a chance to check out.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Andrea T, Manager at Courtyard Columbus Tipton Lakes, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip to Columbus and for sharing your review. I will absolutely follow up on the few issues you encountered during your visit with us.

We were thrilled to read how you enjoyed our location, services and food quality. We will celebrate those with our Ambassadors as we do so enjoy when we go above and beyond our guests' expectations.

Thank you again and we look forward to your return.
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 9 September 2012

My wife and I had spent the day at the Scottish Festival and were ready for a little "wind down" time..... and this was the place to land! Courteous and helpful employees..... room was immaculately clean and in order. Beds?..... ah the beds..... meant to see what brand they were before we left. Having had back problems for several years, I've become accustomed to just "living" with whatever bed I found myself in.... but here at the Marriott, I was to enjoy a new experience. I slept for a straight 8 hrs.... I'm usually up two to three times a night. The pool area was as clean and in order as our room. I can say nothing but good things about this hotel.... and would wish everyone to enjoy the experience that my wife and I shared with our stay here. To Marriott.... I raise my glass.... and would give to all a sincere and appreciative thank you.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Andrea T, Manager at Courtyard Columbus Tipton Lakes, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us and for your kind words about our hotel and our team which we are extremely proud of. We so look forward to the pleasure of your stay very soon.
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 8 September 2012

This is a decent Courtyard in a quiet location a few miles from downtown Columbus. The hotel has not yet been converted to the Bistro and they did not offer free breakfast to Platinum Members. The hotel itself is pretty typical of the older Courtyard set up and was comfortable. My main complaint was the extremly bad wireless connection. I actually gave up and used my air card! The staff was friendly and helpful. I would stay here again should future travels bring me to Columbus.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BlueMarlinDave
Andrea T, Manager at Courtyard Columbus Tipton Lakes, responded to this review, 10 September 2012

Thank you again and we look forward to your return.
Corydon, Ky
Reviewed 27 August 2012

This is my first experience with Marriott hotels. It was a very good experience at that. We were very well treated and enjoyed our stay. The room was very accommodating with a frig and microwave and a very comfortable bed. The breakfast was very good (not free but cheap) and the host was very helpful and polite. It seemed everyone we met working in this hotel wanted to help us out any way they could. I look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Mount Joy, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 August 2012

As far as Courtyards go, this Courtyard is very nice. The price for the area is usually pretty good, running about $89.00 a night. The hotel itself is clean and the bed is especially comfortable. My one complaint with Courtyards is that they do not offer a free continental breakfast. It seems to me that all other hotels of this caliber do, so why not Courtyard? Their new lobby with the cafe that Marriott has put in their Courtyards is a joke. The menu selection is poor and the prices are high. Save some money and go to McDonald's for breakfast. You will get the same type of food for about half the price. Or better yet go to the Steak and Shake for the $3.99 All You Can Eat Pancake breakfast. Delicious and quite a bargain. All in all, a pleasant hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Andrea T, Manager at Courtyard Columbus Tipton Lakes, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us and for your kind words about our clean hotel and comfortable bed which we are extremely proud of. Unfortunately, we cannot change the breakfast as it's a Marriott Courtyard standard but we hope that the breakfast will not deter you from choosing our hotel again should your travels bring you back to Columbus.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Residence Inn Columbus
Residence Inn Columbus
#4 of 10 in Columbus
Comfort Inn & Suites Columbus
Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Hotel Indigo Columbus Downtown
Sleep Inn & Suites Lakeside
Hilton Garden Inn Columbus/Edinburgh

Been to Courtyard Columbus Tipton Lakes? Share your experiences!