Courtyard Columbus Tipton Lakes
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Residence Inn Columbus(Columbus)
Columbus Hotel(Columbus)
View Hotel
All reviewsmarriott propertiesroom was cleancontinental breakfastpool and hot tubcheck in was smoothbusiness triplounge areaoatmealdesk clerkroad tripbrown countystaff was friendlybistrochloedeskshousekeepermaintenance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Over the years I have found the Marriott brand, regardless of the chain name (SpringHill, Fairfield, etc.), to be an almost guarantee of an excellent stay. That illusion was shattered during my stay at the Courtyard in Columbus, Indiana.

My trouble began after checking in. Usually the first thing I do is stick the "do not disturb" sign on my door, where it hangs for the entire stay. There was no sign in my room, so I stopped by the front desk on the way to get my luggage out of my car to ask for one. I was given a "go green" sign for the towel rack in the bathroom (the one that asks you to leave the towel on the rack if you wish to save the hotel some money and water by not having it washed) instead of a "do not disturb" sign. I told the clerk it was not a do not disturb sign (which usually says, oddly enough, "do not disturb"), and he disputed that he had indeed given me a do not disturb sign. That's not the best foot to start on when it comes to a stay. (The desk clerk eventually did find a do not disturb sign and put it on my door for me.)

The room had a musty smell to it, and the light in the bathroom was not working. Given the figurative tooth extraction I had to endure to get something as inconsequential as a do not disturb sign I opted to not report either problem, fearing what hoop I might have to jump through to get a light bulb. I also found the room unusually noisy, with people walking on the floor above me sounding more like a marching band. Most other hotels don't have that much noise from another floor.

Another issue that diminished the quality of this stay was the surprisingly low variety of TV channels available. I am in Columbus at least two weekends every year (sometimes three) so I have stayed at a number of the hotels in town. Every hotel I have stayed at in town carry more stations than the Courtyard did. Additionally, southern Indiana is closest geographically to the Cincinnati Reds, yet the Fox Sports station carried by the hotel was Fox Sports Midwest (home of the St. Louis Cardinals, some 250 miles away) -- THEN they had the baseball games blacked out!

Courtyard is the one brand in the Marriott family that doesn't have free breakfasts. They charge eight dollars for their all-you-can-eat buffet (which I did not buy -- the Bob Evans down the street can give you a fine meal for less). They also have a grotesquely overpriced snack shop in the lobby, which I found rather perplexing: they have microwavable meals for sale, yet there aren't any microwaves in the rooms!

A bad Marriott is still better than a lot of other hotels, but that is not the case with the Courtyard in Columbus. This has left a sour taste in my mouth. While I will patronize other Marriott brands, the Courtyard will not get my business when I return to Columbus next year. There are simply too many better hotels in town to choose from.

Room Tip: The Courtyard brand DOES NOT offer free breakfasts. Their breakfast is $7.95 (as of August 2013).
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Got2GoAllTheTime
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I have been a Hilton guy for the last few years. And am trying to get my status back with Marriott. This place makes it painful. Old, cleanliness is ok, but old. Very limited tv channels but the flat screen tv is large which is nice. Front desk personnel was nice and said that they are due for an upgrade next spring, hope that they do the rooms, unlike most courtyards. Should have listened to the #8 out of 10 hotels in Columbus rating.

• Stayed: August 2013
April C, General Manager at Courtyard Columbus Tipton Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

I am glad that you found our staff friendly and our hotel clean. We pride ourselves in providing top notch customer service and having a very clean and comfortable stay for our guests! Marriott has policy's as to what television channels that we are allowed to provide to our guests. This is across the whole brand. We are set for a renovation in the spring, we hope that you will return and enjoy!

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Columbus was just a stop over on a long trip from NC To the U.P of Michigan. The hotel is a good location within walking distances to restaurants which was a plus after a long drive. Staff was professional and helpful. Room was great.

Room Tip: Didn't use the spa or eat the breakfast which was an additional $7.95.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
April C, General Manager at Courtyard Columbus Tipton Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you so much for your comments! We hope that you come and stay with us again. If you are ever our way, email myself to let me know you are coming and we will throw in a free breakfast during your stay. Thank you again!
(aprilcannon@remingtonhotels.com)

Reviewed 24 July 2013

While we are not usually in the Columbus, IN, area, we did spend the night here to be together as a family before taking my husband to Camp Atterbury to deploy.

I have to start off with the room had the most comfortable bed ever!! I have degenerative disks in my lumbar spine and a herniation as well. I usually start my day with ibuprofen after sleeping in a hotel. I woke up feeling wonderful.

Great clean room and very nice staff. Tucked away from the main drag, but easy to get to restaurants, shopping centers, and I-65. We had a room with two queens, which did come with a small fridge.

My husband is going to start staying here for each annual deployment training!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank WeThreeAdventurers

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I think I remember checking your family in. We are so honored that your husband has chosen to make us his preferred place to stay! Next time you are visiting us please stop by the front desk and ask for me.
April Cannon

Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed here on points and had I paid for the room, I would have been disappointed. Staff was nice at check-in, but failed to mention the pool was closed by the county health department. I was later told we could have used the Clarion pool, down the road, had I said something. Why didn't they tell me at check-in? Room was adequate, but small and the cleaning staff must have been in a hurry the day they cleaned our room.

The breakfast at Courtyards should also be included in the base price.

Come on Marriott, you can do better. There are better options in Columbus, IN.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank marklclark

We do apologize that our pool was closed during your stay. I appreciate your comments, I have newer staff at the front desk and this will help to train them on communication with guests. Although, Courtyards do not offer free breakfast, next time you are going to be in our area, please email myself before you arrive and give us another chance to better serve you. (aprilcannon@remingtonhotels.com)
April Cannon