“Poor choice any day of the week!”

Days Inn - Columbus IN
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Columbus
Jamestown, New York
“Poor choice any day of the week!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

Our niece's wedding brought my wife's family to Columbus Halloween weekend 2011. Unfortunately, the Day's Inn Columbus was chosen instead of any other Hotel in the area. The price was low but that was the only thing that might attract anyone to this place. All members of our group (7 families) complained about the condition of the rooms. Two families had to move out of the smoking room due to the extremely strong smoke smell (even for smokers). The wallpaper was dirty and parting ar seams. Door casings were in need of paint. Door handles were missing between rooms where newer locks were installed (old door had not been replaced) Blood or ? splatered on bathroom walls. Old fixtures in bathrooms. Furniture was old and in need of replacing. Carpets in some rooms were shot.Some rooms had newer carpet but it was dirty. Candy, beer caps, snacks, were just a few of the items found in the corners and behind furnature. A constant boom - boom was not enjoyed nightly from a nearby bars band the played into the late night hours.The Continental breakfast was very limited and not reccommended. My advise, save your money and stay in any other Hotel in Columbus! One exception... some of the the staff was very friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Hallsville, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

Days Inn - Columbus Indiana provided everything I needed with no hassles and no disappointments. I wasn't looking for luxury or high expense. I got a comfortable place to stay at a price less than I expected even though I just drove up and walked in the door without a reservation or coupon. Wireless Internet access worked fine. Exercise facility was better equipped than many I've seen in inexpensive lodgings. Included breakfast was adequate, with a waffle maker and the expected store-bought donuts, other pastries, dry cereals, some fruit, coffee and a couple of juices. Room was clean and secure with reasonable temperature control.

The desk clerk gave spoken directions to the room which I apparently did not understand. The rooms are in a couple of buildings and the external signage giving ranges of room numbers in each is not easy to read on a rainy night. A second spin around the parking lot let me find my room and all was fine after that.

Across Indiana 46 from the motel is El Nopal, a Mexican restaurant that provided an enormous serving of good food at reasonable prices.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank grouch0
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

Booked online with price line. Never been disappointed till tonight. Easy to find, check-in pleasant. While parking there was a young man staring at us as he walked thru the pkg lot several times before he entered the Hotel side door. Just before locking up, saw same man on second floor with head out window checking us out again. Entering a very smokey hallway that wasn't locked, we noticed the smudged walls, old vending machines. Our room had the 70's look with dingy furniture, coffee rings on table,old bedding. Nail holes in walls and marks, vibrating bass emanating thru the ceiling with loud music. We found this the worst motel we had been in for many yrs. We turned on our sound machine and undressed for bed as it was midnite and we were tired, then band,bang, bang! Sure we were hearing gunshots, we called the hotel desk. No answer. My husband re-dressed and went to the desk. The motel clerk was there and said she couldnt confirm if they were gunshots but would have maintenance check.
Meanwhile, I called Priceline and asked for a refund. They arranged this, with gunshots ringing
in the background while we talked. My husband had us all re-packed and we fled the hotel.
Though it is after midnight,we are driving 5 hours home this AM as we are still so stimulated
from our 45 minutes in this awful hotel. Skip this hotel so you don't ruin your vacation.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LaurieSusan

Travellers are raving about these Columbus hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

I was reluctant to try this place from the outside appearance but every other place was booked up. The inside is all remodeled and the rooms are as well... Big rooms and flat screen tvs. Marble showers. For 69 bucks it was just fine.

• Stayed September 2011
Midwest
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

I was a bit put off by other reviews here of the Days Inn Columbus Indiana, but since they accept pets and also had a decent rate, I went ahead and booked it for two nights.

When I checked in, I informed the clerk that I had a small dog and was switched to a 'pet' room. I was expecting it to be not-so-great, but in reality it was quite nice. It looked like the bathroom was recently refinished and the bedspreads were newer, and the room was pretty fresh. So that was a positive.

The halls were a bit shabbier; in fact the ceiling looked downright ready to collapse in our hall. The 'key card scanner' for the side entrance door from the parking lot didn't appear to even be hooked up nor was it ever locked, so security wasn't a priority (not that the area warrants an excess of caution).

Unfortunately, around 9 p.m. I heard someone trying to use their card to open our room. It turns out that when they switched me to a 'pet' room, they failed to change it in the system and assigned the room they gave me to someone else, too. It was annoying for both me and the poor guest who lugged his luggage all the way to the room only to have to return to the front desk. Sadly it was far from the last 'mistake' that happened.

Next AM I go to check out the breakfast, which was meager: a bit of cereal and a few pastries, fresh fruit consisted of some sad looking apples, etcc., so I decided just to get a glass of milk. I took a sip and nearly gagged: the milk was luke warm and going sour. Considering this was 6:30 a.m. it wasn't from sitting out all morning. Issue #2. Didn't bother to try the breakfast again the next day.

Arrived back to the hotel on our second night to discover the room hadn't been made up. When I called the front desk I was informed this was because the "Do Not Disturb" sign was on the door...well, we did NOT put the sign out, and in fact it was still hanging on the coat rack where it was when we checked in. So either the maid staff made that up or the clerk did, but either way someone was full of it. When I asked for fresh towels, the clerk rudely said the maid staff had gone home and if I wanted fresh towels I needed to BRING MY DIRTY TOWELS to the front desk to exchange them. In other words, I wasn't going to be trusted with a few extra towels, and they clerk made it clear he wasn't going to be bothered to come to my room to exchange them, even though it was their screw-up. Mistake #3, and the one that means I would not stay here again.

If you just need a place to sleep for one night, you can do worse. But I wouldn't count on much help from the staff...one little thing is easy to overlook, several make for an unpleasant stay.

One other trivial matter, which will not bother most, is that there were giant gaps around the door that let in a lot of light from the hall. I like total darkness, so it was quite annoying to me. The gaps also let in a lot of noise from the hallway, so you heard everyone talking as they went by, kids running, etc. May not bother many, but if you are a light sleeper take note.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

We had a group of rooms here at daysinn, the staff was excellent to us,
We enjoyed the pool, they give us complimentry room for fun for no charge,
breakfast was good, very clean and nice, well organized property,
We will be back next year

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Hudson, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2011

I would never stay here again. We were kept up until 3:00 by noise from a bar nearby. When talking to the front desk about hearing music, the response was, "Oh, okay". I found out later the cause wasn't another guest. The staff was not helpful, and I my car got keyed in the parking lot. The manager would not return my calls. The security was nonexistant.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family