“Needs Updating” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Columbus
Elkhart, Indiana
“Needs Updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel needs updating... The common area is clean and reasonably nice. Service was acceptable but not great. My room felt very 1980's, and though it was clean, the air conditioning was not able to even come close to keeping up with demand. It was 77°F all night long in the room and it actually got cooler than that outside by morning. Breakfast was ok for the cost of the room with breakfast, but not good. I'll be looking for another hotel on my next trip to Columbus.

Room Tip: Avoid the outdoor rooms in the back.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Scott C
tadams8, Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
I agree with you that the hotel does need to be updated. The first floor rooms of the hotel were updated back in 2008, but that is the last time that the rooms were updated. The owner of the hotel is looking to make some much needed improvements in the near future.

I was sorry to read that the air conditioning unit in your room was not able to keep the room as cool as you would have liked. Once again, this is another area where improvements are needed and we hope to have fixed.

I was also sorry to read that you did not enjoy the breakfast. I am not sure just exactly what it was that you did not like, but I will be sure to share your comments with our Food and Beverage Director.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us about your recent stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Louisville, Ky.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Upon arrival and walking in it is easy to see that this is an older property. Inside the lobby and game/pool area it is old but has that old worn comfortable look. Homey almost. Got our room in the tower and it looked decent, some what worn but clean looking. The bed slept very well. Firm mattress and decent pillows. Next morning we found a cricket and a small brown bug in the bath room. The brown bug may have been a roach or water bug, not sure. Then we found a small, quarter inch size bug on the side of the bed. It got under the mattress and disappeared.. Then we found that water was dripping very slowly from several of the ceiling tiles over the tub in the bath room. I am so disappointed about this. All of the staff I encountered from checking in to just seeing a staff member in the hall were extremely nice. Told the check out clerk about the water leaks and the bugs. She did not seem overly concerned.

Room Tip: If you stay here and do not want outside access to your door then request a tower room. It is all in...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hopsaregood
tadams8, Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us here at the Clarion.

I have to agree with you that our property is an older one. Our hotel was one of the first to be built in the city of Columbus. It has a unique flair to it and our staff works very hard to keep the hotel clean and well-maintained.

I was sorry to read about the bug issue and about the leaking tiles above the tub in the bathroom. When you told our front desk staff about these issues they should have offered to compensate you in some manner and they should have been concerned about the issues that you were telling them about. I will be speaking to the Front Desk Manager about this. I have found out that neither of these issues were reported to either the Housekeeping or Maintenance staff, but both departments will now be looking into them after this review was posted.

I cannot apologize to you enough about what you had to encounter during your stay with us. I do hope that you will allow for us to make improvements and consider staying with us again.

Travellers are raving about these Columbus hotels

Meadows Of Dan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Nice staff, great location, easy to get to from interstate. Parking lot is well-lit, felt secure and safe. Huge parking lot, truck parking. My room was very clean. Clean sheets, fluffy towels, clean-vacuumed carpet. Bathroom was spotless. TV & AC worked perfectly. My room was an outside room and it was quiet the night I was there. (A Thursday night). Bed was extremely comfortable. Breakfast was fantastic with scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, fruit, and really good coffee. I have no complaints, compliments only for this Clarion. Would stay again if in area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DougLMeadowsOfDan
tadams8, Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay.

Our hotel is definitely located in a convenient location adjacent to the interstate and the hotel does have plenty of parking to accomodate all of our guests.

It is refreshing to see that one of our guests enjoyed one of the exterior rooms. I was glad to read that you found your room to be clean and that everything in the room was in the proper working order.

I will be sharing the nice comments about the breakfast with our Food and Beverage Director.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay and we hope that if you are in the area again, that you will choose to stay at the Clarion.
Clarkston, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed here for a few nights, was not impressed at all, the AC unit in my room was so loud, thump when it came on, loud the whole time its running and then thump as it went off. So two nights and little sleep means I wont be returning. I complained when I checked out and they said sorry... they didnt even ask what the problem was really. Other co-workers had similar experiences.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jamie S
tadams8, Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
I was sorry to read that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us here at the Clarion.

The A/C units is some of the rooms do tend to get a little loud at times. I do not know what room you were in, but I will speak with the hotel manager and maintenance about checking all of the A/C units in the building to see if improvements can be made.

I am sorry that some of your co-workers had the same experience. The front desk staff should have taken more concern about you reporting this issue and that matter will be discussed with the front desk manager.
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The inside of the hotel is rather unusual and ecclectic looking. Pool area is very nice, as was the bar area. Breakfast buffet was good, but there is a charge on the weekend if you're not a member of something. ? Rooms were small and a little dark and dated, but appeared to be clean. The hotel is right off of I-65, so the area has a lot of strip malls and restaurants. We were in town for a softball tournament so the hotel suited our needs for the kids. Pool area also has ping pong table, pool tables, small putting green and a hot tub. Definitely not a romantic weekend sort of hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor don't have elevator access directly. Outside rooms on the second floo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
1 Thank Susie0052
tadams8, Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
I am so glad that you found our hotel here to be interesting. The Clarion is not laid out like most hotels on the market today. We have a lot of little shops and offices in the lobby, a full-service restaurant and bar and then have meeting rooms back in the tower section of the hotel and then we have the entire conference center as well.

There is a continental breakfast that is offered Monday through Friday and there is a charge for breakfast on Saturdays and Sundays unless you are a Platinum, Gold or Silver Choice Privileges member.

The hotel does often fill up with softball teams and other sports teams, so it is nice that we offer the pool, hot tub, miniature putt-putt area, pool tables, ping pong tables and game room for the kids and families to enjoy.
Whiting, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Great hotel if your traveling with a family. We brought our two kids and puppy with us. Pool area is nice with plenty of family activities. Restaurant is a must visit for couples wanting a romantic getaway!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
tadams8, Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
We were so glad to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at the Clarion.

The hotel is a great place to bring your children so that they can partake of all the different amenities that the hotel has to offer.

The hotel is also pet friendly which makes it nice for our guests to be able to bring their four legged friends along with them on their travels.

We hope that you will return and stay at the Clarion again when you are in the area.
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

This property probably saw its heyday 20+ years ago; it is laid out much like the old Holidomes with an indoor pool and putting green. My room was very worn with an odd smell. The beds were made and towels replaced daily. The restaurant's service is hit or miss with a couple of very attentive wait staff and the others not of the same caliber. I would recommend against making this your first choice, especially given the newer properties in Edinburgh.

One of the saving graces is the easy access to the running/biking trail that leads to downtown Columbus.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the second floor, since the elevators only go between floors 3 and 7.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
1 Thank ChuckHB23
Our hotel here is the oldest hotel in the city of Columbus and we work very hard to keep it clean and well-maintained.

The hotel is laid out like an old Holidome because the hotel used to be a Holiday Inn before becoming a Clarion two years ago. It is very unique in that fact.

I was sorry to read that you found the restaurant service to be hit or miss. I will be sharing those comments with our Food and Beverage Director.

The hotel does not have an elevator to the second floor. The first and second floors of the hotel were part of the original design and build of the hotel. The tower section (floors 3 through 7) were added many years later and this is where the elevator was installed. Our Front Desk staff is always available to carry luggage to the second floor rooms for our guests.

Our hotel might be an older hotel, but we work very hard to make sure that every guest has a good experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Comfort Inn & Suites Columbus
Sleep Inn & Suites Lakeside
Courtyard Columbus Tipton Lakes
Hotel Indigo Columbus Downtown
Residence Inn Columbus
Residence Inn Columbus
#4 of 10 in Columbus
Hampton Inn Columbus / Taylorsville / Edinburgh

Been to Clarion Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!