“Really nice hotel.”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Columbus
Fairland,IN
“Really nice hotel.”
Reviewed 25 January 2011

Pleasantly surprised at what a nice hotel this was for the price. Clean, comfortable room. Nice restaurant and good food. Large indoor pool and rec area. Beautiful, unique woodwork and decor. Good service. Absolutely no complaints. We will be back!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Cincinnati
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Because of a fire ban in the national forest, my family (hubby and two teen girls) had to scrap out plan to camp and find a place to lodge on a prime fall weekend. I was happy to get this room so that we could still enjoy some nice hikes, and priceline brought the price down a bit. BUT--if you have other options, do look around. The negative reviews are right on point. Hotel really showing wear; photos of pool misleading (and water was cold!); hot tub constantly overloaded and lots of kids under 12 (including BABIES with diapers!) in the water. So disgusting!! Beds were okay--bathrooms super tiny and not very nice. Fan was so loud it was difficutl to use for white noise. We got in and out as quickly as possible. The "crowd" is a kind of raggamuffin group overall. I've stayed at other Holiday Inns. While they are not my favorite chain, this one seems under par, pardon the pun. That said, the staff I encountered were all very kind and helpful. The putt putt is not a course BTW--just a putting green with wiffle balls and wierd plastic clubs...many of which were broken...but we still had a rousing match in the morning to cap our stay with a nice bit of fun!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
franklin,in
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Rooms small not so clean. Hotel showing wear and tear. Lobby, restaurant and pool area only nice thing about this hotel. Price $$$. AC broken 1 night. Front desk clerk laughed and said he forgot to tell us and we could had another room with working air. Nothing funny about no air in mid August. Several hotels close together this would not be the one to pick. Restaurant food good but $$$.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
franklin
Reviewed 6 September 2010

The hotel is very nice but a few things on their website need clarification. The pool is no where near what the pics make it look. The water starts at 3 1/2 foot and quickly gets to 5 foot. Also the water is deeper than what the signs say. The five feet is more like 5'4. Additionally the putt putt is played with a two foot tall plastic putter and a whiffle ball. Hard for an adult to play w/ the kids.

The hotel also lists a bakery and pizza shop that never opened during our stay.

Other than these small complaints the hotel is very clean.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Downers Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 25 July 2010

The staff obviously work hard to keep this place clean. But it is so very dated and dingy. The rooms were tiny, the beds were tine, the bathroom was barely large enough for a tub and toilet. It was a hot wire rate or it would have been a waste of money. Do not choose to stay here unless you get an amazing hot wire deal. It was clean! And if all you need is a place to sleep and move on, it is fine!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Clarkston, Michigan
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I have a feeling this place has been given a free pass for a while because they are amenable to large groups and their folksy, Cracker Barrel-type lobby and pool area probably makes people feel like they're in the country, but honestly this place really needs some help. Once you get to the lobby you'll understand that the folks behind the check-in desk are fairly clueless about what's going on in the restaurant or anywhere else in the place. Basic questions are answered with curious looks and very little response. We are here for the baseball World Series with a group of 10, 11 and 12 year olds and immediately ran into trouble when the booking agency hired by the tournament said half our group was out of luck in getting rooms here. After hours on the phone with the hotel and agency taking turns blaming the other, unfortunately we finally found rooms together but several got stuck in "smoking" rooms. Why in this day and age we still have smoking rooms in hotels is beyond my comprehension but that's another rant for another time. They literally had to go out and buy air fresheners and potpourri just so they wouldn't get sick. As for wireless, like most Holiday Inns they provide it, but it's slower than you'll need and the front desk again, gave no insight into passwords (I had to call them and ask). Some HI's don't need a password. This one did.

Our rooms are sparse at best, no microwave, old TV (with a remote that doesn't work even when you change the batteries), no fridge, a work desk that hovers over an air conditioning system that never seems to stop blowing and in our case we had to drive a quarter mile around the other side of the building to get entrance (no elevators either).

As the for the restaurant, forget it. Breakfast is horrible, cold eggs, unidentifiable hash browns, no bagels, just toast. Good luck getting coffee if you're not part of a big table because you'll get one cup maybe and then never see anyone again. If you're in a bigger group, they leave urns on the table for you.

The unfortunate part of Holiday Inn is that you never know what you're getting because there is little corporate oversight regarding these "independently operated" properties. I stayed in some Holiday Inns with my son last week in the Philly area and they were fine. This one, not so much. Avoid if you can.

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank marcusg123
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I was at this hotel with a professional conference this past weekend. Despite the fact that we were all told that we would be in the tower, most of us were moved to other rooms. Some of us were notified ahead of time; I was not. I was given a room facing the inside, which meant it was facing the pool, and had no windows. The area reeks of chlorine. I returned to the desk and requested another room saying I did not want a room facing the pool and having no windows. The person at the desk said he wouldn't want that room either! Instead I was given a room on the second floor, which is not accessible by elevator. I had to literally drag my luggage and carry my many bags that were brought as part of the event up the stairs. My room faced the parking lot, and had a walkway outside the window, which meant that anyone walking by could look into my room. There was a group of young men down the way who hung out over the rail, talking loudly, drinking, and sptting into the ground below. They disturbed people in our group in the middle of the nght to the point where management had to be called to ask them to return to their rooms. My room had a very nice king size bed but why are those pillows the size of postage stamps? there was no room to put anything down. The air conditioner blew directly on me and there was no way to redirect the air. It was like sitting in a refrigerator. I joined some colleagues for breakfast after they had been seated. the server came over to wait on them and never asked if I wanted to order. We had to flag her down so I could place an order; she asked "oh did you want to eat?" then we had to search for her to get our bills. This hotel has a lot of potential but I would not recommend staying here unless you can at least get the room you had requested. i realize they were probably fully booked, but they should have some consideration for a group of women, most of whom are over 50, and leave them in the rooms they expected, instead of moving them to accomodate other groups.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank bbrown3333
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Comfort Inn & Suites Columbus
Sleep Inn & Suites Lakeside
Hotel Indigo Columbus Downtown
Courtyard Columbus Tipton Lakes
Residence Inn Columbus
Residence Inn Columbus
#4 of 10 in Columbus
Hilton Garden Inn Columbus/Edinburgh

Been to Clarion Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!