“Cute local place”

Allen's Country Kitchen
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 14 April 2014

when traveling we like to try the more local places over the food chains. This place was a really cute little restaurant and the staff very friendly. The food was just average and it took a while to get our food. We did come in about 30 minutes before closing. Looks like they had some good breakfast and ice cream. The restaurant was very clean too!

There are newer reviews for Allen's Country Kitchen

Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is a better than average place for your Blue Plate Specials. Everything made fresh daily, might use frozen components but it is made fresh. Staff is nice and friendly and place is clean.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

People would brag about how great the food is there. And most of it is outstanding. But, I had such a tasted for mashed potatoes and gravy with baked steak as well as corn and salad along with coffee and cream.

FIRST THE GOOD NEWS:
The baked steak was outstanding. Really enjoyed it

The salad with poppy seed dressing was also outstanding.

Though the coffee was a little on the strong side it was really fresh served with real cream.

The price was very reasonable as well, but I wouldn't mind paying a little more if the mashed potatoes and corn was better.

The servings were very generous.

The waitresses were very friendly, making sure everything was OK.

I love the décor and the fact that I can walk up to the cash register to pay for my food there instead of waiting for the waitress to bring it to me.

NOW THE BAD NEWS:
The mashed potatoes were instant. They tasted like cardboard and smelled like cardboard. They weren't fit to eat and I notice other people not eating those horrible things too. When fixed right with a good brand of instant mashed potato they are very good. I fix them myself and the way I fix them are almost as good as the fresh ones I fix when I'm in the mood. Also the frozen ones are really good, but I don't know if they can be bought in large quantities for restaurants.

They were really stingy with the gravy which makes me think that the baked steak was already prepared and was bought in bulk though the baked steak was outstanding, which explains the stinginess. But so are the frozen ones I get prepared in the store that taste just like the ones I ate today.

The corn was just so-so. They would have tasted better with seasonings or baked instead of out of that can taste.

I don't like to have my tip shared with all of the other waitresses either and will no longer leave a tip. It isn't fair to the good waitress that waits on me and should be able to keep all of their tips.

I won't be going there anymore, especially for baked steak and mashed potatoes and will fix them at home like I have been.

Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

From the moment we entered the restaurant picture, the cheerful staff showed us a seat took our order and delivered wonderful food

Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Our waitress was great, our food was good. Decent value too. 2 things bothered me. A lady was sweeping moving our table and chairs while we sat and ate. Gross! And i had sandles on and she swept my feet. That was odd and grossed me out. Flies were bad today in there. What bothered me most was an emoyee used the restroom before me and she flushed and came out. With out washing her hands! I can say i ate there buf not sure if i would again.

1  Thank umalulu