“First Time and Well Pleased”

Horseshoe Southern Indiana
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I was on a sales trip for two days in greater Louisville and while checking hotel prices, I noticed that the Horseshoe had a very attractive weekday rate of $55. (At least where I was checking) I ended up staying for two nights and my room was much better than you would expect to receive for the nightly fee. Basically all of the amenities of a Vegas-style property, but not quite as large. All of the people were helpful and pleasant from the front desk to the casino workers.
I did spend a couple of hours in the casino each evening and while I play basically slots I ended up even for two nights. Always a game of give and take in any casino, but to play for that amount of time and not end up short is certainly pleasant and fun. (I never expect to make money) Since my trip was on a Monday and Tuesday, some of the restaurants were not open, but there are plenty of other options on the property. I cannot say anything other than this was a nice change of pace from my normal hotel choice(s) that are generally $40.00 more for less services and really no opportunity for entertainment on-site. This property is located in Indiana, however it is literally 10 minutes to get into greater Louisville.

Room Tip: Plan your Louisville business for early in the week and check this property out and save some $$. Bo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Bradley B
HorseshoeSI, Manager at Horseshoe Southern Indiana, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Bradley B, we're glad that you enjoyed your stay and found us a good (and fun) alternative to the typical hotel experience. If you're ever in the area again, we look forward to seeing you!

Richard, Hotel Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,700)

Reviewed 12 June 2014

A bit dirty and sticky, a glass sat outside our door as we checked in and was still there when we checked out. No great shakes. Friendly staff doesn't cover up the largest roach I've ever seen that scooted across the elevator lobby when we checked in. Massage decent but if you're going to hold my head in one hand with your other hand on my forehead for a full 5 minutes, I am not going to relax, but will wonder when you might start massaging me again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

MelonWheels, we're sorry that your stay didn't exceed your expectations. We do have a pest control company and will be sure they're made aware of your review.

Richard, Hotel Operations Manager

Reviewed 8 June 2014

The sheets on the bed were smelly and appears not be clean. They had a very musty smell like someone else had slept on them. When I mentioned it at checkout it did not appear to faze the clerk. Made for a bad time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kathy G
HorseshoeSI, Manager at Horseshoe Southern Indiana, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Kathy G, we are so sorry for the cleanliness of your room and the response from the desk clerk. Let us know the next time you're in and we will be sure that everything meets your expectations.

- Richard, Hotel Operations Manager

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My room is always free but I would pay for it if I had to. The bed is very comfy along with the pillows and the bathroom is a nice size with a wonderful shower. They could use a microwave for leftovers from the many restaurants but the fridge did keep my drinks nice and cold. The casino is win or lose of course, but always a good time with many different slots and denominations to choose from (penny games to 500 dollars a spin games). 99 percent of the employees I came in contact with were very friendly or at least said hello as you passed.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank John E
HorseshoeSI, Guest Relations Manager at Horseshoe Southern Indiana, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

John E, we're so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on the variety of slot and video poker machines we have - it's good to know our patrons like them, too. Thanks again for taking the time to write us and we look forward to having you as a guest again in the future. -Andrew, Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We just stayed here earlier this week, on a Tuesday night, and had a very nice stay. Everyone was very kind and helpful. I had overheard a couple of employees talking about "morale." What I believe I heard was that there was recently a change in management---and this seemed to be a good thing, and the employees were happy about it.

All of that being said, from the nice welcome to when we checked out, we had great service. Our room was lovely, large, and very clean. The bathroom shower and tub were quite large and comfortable. The bed was wonderful. We especially liked the shampoo and bath toiletries that were offered.

Breakfast in the cafe was perfect---very friendly lady there helping us. We normally would not eat bacon away from home, but they cooked it exactly as we requested (which never, ever happens) and everything was delicious...very strong coffee, which I imagine you would want if you want to stay up for the casino, as people were doing. We were really impressed with the restaurants that were offered for different meals---you would never be bored, that is for sure. The past line-ups for entertainment are impressive as well, and the actual venue in which they perform.

You have to be prepared to walk quite a bit---from the inside corridors to the casino boat. There is a golf cart which will take you to one place or the other, if you need it. And as other reviewers have mentioned, it is out in the middle of nowhere it seems---which is a GOOD thing. This is a destination hotel--most people are going to gamble---and the location, which sort of looks like it is set out in the middle of the country is just lovely. There is also a walking trail which we thought was great. Spending a few peaceful days here is a good thing.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TWEETYCCC
HorseshoeSI, Manager at Horseshoe Southern Indiana, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

TWEETYCCC, we are just thrilled that your stay was enjoyable. It's our goal to make the guest happy from the moment they step onto the property until they leave. We're glad your bacon was the way you liked it and also that you got to take advantage of the walking trail. We hope to have you as a guest again soon. -Richard, Manager Hotel Operations

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This hotel & casino is in the middle of nowhere. There is absolutely nothing for over 8 miles, no other hotels, no restaurants, nothing. The food in the hotel restaurants is very, very expensive because you have no other options.
Now the maintenance issues. Refrigerator did not work, had to call maintenance. After that was fixed, the TV had no reception which worked fine before the refrigerator was fixed. Had to call maintenace again so the TV could be fixed. While using the moving sidewalk to get to the casino - it stopped (had to do a lot of walklng.)
I have been to many, many Harrah's properties but this is my least favorite. Will not come again.

Room Tip: If going to the casino try getting a room very close to the elevator. Casino is a very long walk fr...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank CHRISTINA K
HorseshoeSI, Guest Relations Manager at Horseshoe Southern Indiana, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

CHRISTINA K, I apologize for the maintenance issues. These are items we work on continuously to minimize occurrences. It definitely is a shame that these happened to you. If you would like to talk to us, please email horseshoesifacebook@gmail.com. - Andrew, Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Just returned from a first-time stay at HSI (May 2014). Location is a bit out-of-the-way, but not too bad. Valet was rude when I pulled up and acted as though he didn't want to be there. He never welcomed me or offered to help me with my bag, just handed me the ticket and said leave your keys in the car. (My car was the only one in the valet line) Not a good first impression. However, that all changed when I made my way to the lobby and check-in. Derek checked me in and was warm and friendly and so very helpful. He certainly made up for the bad valet experience.
Room was nice with a large flat-screen tv. Bed was very comfortable. Loved the extra-large bath towels. Walk to the casino was very very long through a covered walkway. They have a golf-cart type shuttle that takes you part of the way but stops running at 11:45p. Casino was okay but as is with most casinos nowadays, slots were tight. Casino is 4 decks high and Deck 1 is non-smoking. Had a good variety of slots on all decks. Check-out was quick and easy and my valet experience upon leaving was so much better than my arrival. The valet put my luggage in the trunk, opened the car door for me and thanked me for staying.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face the river; odd numbers face the "nature trail" and woods.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank luckylady47
HorseshoeSI, Manager at Horseshoe Southern Indiana, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

I apologize for the poor service at the valet but we are delighted that the rest of your visit was good. We’re constantly striving to improve and your praise is being passed along to Derek and his supervisor. We hope to see you again! -Richard, Hotel Operations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Comfort Inn Louisville
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Louisville East
Hampton Inn Corydon
Hampton Inn Corydon
#1 of 5 in Corydon

Been to Horseshoe Southern Indiana? Share your experiences!