“No reason to stay other than for casino”

Horseshoe Southern Indiana
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Found this property on hotwire and thought it seemed like fun so went ahead and booked it. I was travelling for business and only staying one night before leaving the next morning for an early flight. Didn't truly realize how far out it was from Louisville. There is nothing else within 10 miles of the hotel. If you are coming to gamble, and not do anything outside the property, it's a good option. But if you want to be able to eat outside the hotel, good luck. The hotel and casino could use some updating, everything just appears worn and tired, and everything just reeks of cigarette smoke. I arrived around 8pm and was able to quickly get checked in and to my room. The room itself was large and clean. I wandered down to the casino just to check it out. Again, cigarette smoke was just obnoxious. I did go down to the 1st level which was smoke free, which is a nice touch. I was hoping to get dinner on property, but not really a lot of quick grab and go options. I'm sure the steakhouse and buffets are great. Back in the room, the bed comfort was fine. It took a while for the room to cool down. I set the temperature all the way to 60 and turned the fan on high, and it barely seemed to make a difference. During the night I woke up and it was cooler, so it just took it a while. The AC unit and the room in general was very quiet. Not someplace I will stay again, but I can see it being a decent option if you want a getaway just to gamble.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tiffany M
HorseshoeSI, Guest Relations Manager at Horseshoe Southern Indiana, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Tiffany M., thanks for taking the time to review us. We're glad you enjoyed your room. If you ever find yourself out our away again, try Aroma Cafe (located in the hotel lobby) or JB's Cafe (located on Deck 2) for some quick meals. The Corner Cafe in the Rotunda also has some delicious sandwiches ready to be eaten. We try our best to eliminate the smoke smell but depending on the night, it could be stronger than others. We're glad you found Deck 1 - we've recently added more tables and slots to that floor for our non-smoking guests.

There are newer reviews for Horseshoe Southern Indiana

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Our son recently graduated training at Ft. Knox and we took the opportunity to combine the trip to his graduation with a weekend getaway. The Hoeseshoe is about 50 minutes away from Ft. Knox. A tip to others who might do the same, cross the Ohio River to the east of Ft. Knox. You can cross to the west, but the road through Indiana on that side is a winding country road through nowhere. The drive from the east was easier.

The casino is set in the quiet countryside. If staying at the hotel, we recommend parking on the third floor of the hotel parking garage (open air level). It is the closest to the hotel lobby.

The room was spacious, comfortable and clean. The hotel was nice and we got a great rate. The casino itself is a hike through a long hallway to the riverboat. They have a golf cart shuttle that will drive you the majority of the way, but it is still a bit of a hike from the drop off to the casino entrance. Not a problem for us, but could be for those with mobility issues. We saw that they do rent wheelchair type scooters.

It was a nice place for a weekend away and close enough to Ft. Knox to suit our needs. Lots of slot machines to choose from. Many were older and still offered very low minimums. Lots of 15 and 20 cent machines which are not to be found at the Horseshoe casino in Cleveland. Hubby enjoyed the $5 blackjack tables. Dealers were friendly.

Not sure we'd make the drive again just for the hotel/casino, but if we're ever in the area again we will be sure to stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
HorseshoeSI, Guest Relations Manager at Horseshoe Southern Indiana, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Laura W, thanks for taking the time to review us. We're glad that you enjoyed the hotel and the variety our casino offered. We look forward to having you as a guest again and congratulations to your son on graduating from Ft. Knox! - Andrew, Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Hotel was a great price.....room was clean and was a pretty large room. My floor was very quite and I had no issues in regards to the room. Was only passing through, so I spent most of my time in the casino. I don't really play slots so I cant comment on the payback, but the the blackjack was fun with good dealers. You do have to pay for in room WI-FI if you planning on being on the net for a long period of time. The walk to the casino is longer, but you have escalators that cover a large stretch of it. It's located a few miles off I-64, but easy enough to get to. I will plan on staying here again when passing through next time.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the end of the hall.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Chris C
HorseshoeSI, Guest Relations Manager at Horseshoe Southern Indiana, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Chris C., thanks for staying with us. We're glad you enjoyed your time at the blackjack tables. Our dealers love to have a good time. We look forward to having you as a guest again soon. - Andrew, Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Good rooms. A bit overpriced for the quality, but its close to home and we needed a rest!
Restaurants were good. Binion's steakhouse was exceptional. Great steak and good service. Only lost 3 cents gambling. That's good for me. My husband lost $90.00. So it was worth the fun. Would love to win a jackpot sometime.

Room Tip: You will still smell smoke even if you booked a nonsmoking. Found out it is because of the smoke in...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Pat S., thanks for the accolades. Jack Binion's Steak House was recently awarded #1 in Overall Service throughout the whole company and we're glad you would agree. Come back again soon! -Andrew. Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We were planning a trip to Clarksville and Corydon, so I picked this hotel. I picked it not only for location, but for the price as well. The rooms were very nice and clean. The bathrooms were some of the best I have seen! The toilet was separated by a door from the rest of the bathroom, but both were in their own room, unlike those where the sink is in the actual room. Perfect for a family of four. Our parents came along on the trip, and we were able to get adjoining rooms. Perfect.

Our small children loved the pool. It was very big and very nice. The casino itself was also very enjoyable.

We will definitely use this hotel again. Perfect for a family getaway or date night for mom and dad. =)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Merry L., thanks for taking the time to post a review. We're thrilled that your whole family found something to do while you stayed with us. We look forward to having you as a guest again. - Andrew, Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Before you can take any review of this place to heart, you have to Know why you are here. If you are looking for a romantic weekend getaway, go to the Biltmore. This is a casino with a nice hotel attached.

This isn't a criticism in any way. My purpose in staying was two-fold. I had a conference and wanted to gamble. For that reason, I didn't use my room except for a couple hours sleep, shower, and to change clothes. I thought the room was well kept, clean, and modern enough. If I was planning on staying in the room all weekend, I might complain that it smelled a bit musty.

If you are coming to gamble, the facilities are great. There are 4 levels on the boat and the service is great the whole time. I will say that of all the times I have been there, I never really do that good and I usually walk out if most casinos even,anyway. Not here. But then, I never gamble more than 500 bucks that I can lose. The dealers were all very polite and the staff was always friendly.

Again, would I go back? Sure. For a romantic weekend? No. To gamble a little and to get away, sure. Why not?

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank lawman37
HorseshoeSI, Guest Relations Manager at Horseshoe Southern Indiana, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

lawman37, thanks for reviewing us. We're glad that your stay was good and that you enjoyed yourself at the casino. We strive to offer excellent customer service and glad to know that you experienced that during your stay. Come out and play! - Andrew, Guest Relations

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Very nice...very clean...nothing negative about the room or service...was disappointed with a charge for the WFI but was free in the lobby...The walk to a from the Casino is a very long one...Great..but if you have disabilities it can be hard...even the shuttle doesn't get you all the way to the Casino floor...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank sandymccluskey1953

Hi sandymccluskey1953. Thanks for taking the time to review us. We're thrilled that you had a good time. There are motorized carts and wheelchair rentals available in case someone in your party would need one. We look forward to having you as a guest again! -Andrew, Guest Relations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Comfort Inn Louisville
Hampton Inn Corydon
#1 of 5 in Corydon
Hyatt Regency Louisville
#10 of 97 in Louisville

Been to Horseshoe Southern Indiana? Share your experiences!