“Nice but not Ceasars”

Horseshoe Southern Indiana
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Stayed on the 22nd and the 27th of Aug. My wife and I really enjoy the Horseshoe, no it's not like Ceasars was, but it is close. The carpets do need to be changed and I think they are working on that, as they had some floors shut down for remodeling when we were there. They put us on a smoking floor and it really stunk in the morning when we walked out of the room. Paula Deane's buffet looks like it will be good although we didn't get a chance to eat there. You might want to wear long pants and maybe even a sweater when your gambling as the air conditioner is working overtime on the boat. All the staff we met were very friendly and courteous. All said and done we really like this place and will be back. P.S. the walk from your room to the casino won't hurt anyone, it's just a nice stroll, take your time and enjoy the scenery.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,927)

Reviewed 28 August 2010

I Stay at Horseshoe quite often, lately the rooms have been really dirty, the carpets are stained bad in the smoking rooms. When you arrive to your room the stinch of stale smoke takes your breath. I've learned to ask for Non Smoking rooms, they seem to be a little cleaner. It is nice the the pool is staying open longer. Overall the comps keeps me coming back. The slots just need to be a lot looser.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2010

I have been a loyal customer of Horseshoe (formerly Caesars) Indiana for years and here's why: by far this place has the most generous comps of all the Indiana casinos. We are not high rollers. My parents aren't either and they get the most comps there of all the Indiana casinos. So, even though this is the farthest from my house of the Indiana casinos (at 2.5 hours) I will keep coming back. The hosts have all been very responsive, friendly and accommodating.

Slots are slots wherever you go. These are no looser or tighter than any others in Indiana. Slots are RANDOM and have essentially the same percentage payout wherever you go in Indiana (granted Vegas percentage payouts are better but I'm talking strictly Indiana).

The walk to the casino from hotel is far - if you walk. I always wait for the little golf cart. It's fun. It does stop running at 3:00 am on weekends though.

I see a lot of complaints about thin walls on here. I have never noticed that - have perfect hearing - and have stayed on just about ever floor of the hotel over the years.

Best of all about this hotel - the indoor pool/hot-tub area are very nice and never crowded. My husband and I and our 4 year old go for the night and my son just loves it. He swims for a couple hours with us then we all go to dinner. Sometimes we all go for a walk outside on the walking trail behind the hotel. Definitely the best place to bring a child of all the Indiana hotel casinos.

Staff at hotel, from valet to room service are the friendliest. All in all - it is my favorite of all the Indiana casinos.

Stayed: July 2010
2  Thank AllisonDawn
Reviewed 20 August 2010

Yes, it's always had those paper-thin walls mentioned in other reviews. Either you hear the party in the room next to you, or someone is pounding in your room wall for you to turn down the tv.

When this place first opened it was the best of all the riverboat casinos. Best front desk staff and hotel manager, best food, loose slots, and a great poker room.

On a positive note, I still consider this place the BEST for quickly earning comps for food and motel rooms. It takes fewer coins thru the machines to earn these than any nearby riverboats.

Now, I would implore them to start re-doing the hotel rooms, even if it's one at a time. Carpet is awful. Room cleaners have a routine, and always miss dusting/cleaning certain areas, including the lamp shades, the area between the bed and wall, and especially the walls in the bathroom where the commode is located.

The staff is not as friendly, especially at the comp card area. Front desk is the luck of the draw, some are nice, some are surly.

One person used to do nothing but clean the carpets in the hallways on every floor of the hotel. Every day. That doesn't happen anymore.

The staff that runs the poker room run in more like an Army boot camp than a place to have fun--lighten up. However, the poker rooms comps, and dealers, are above average.

Non-smokers are offered little variety in their very small and limited slot area, but this is true of all the riverboats I've been on. I really don't get it. I guess the casinos will be the last to realize that eliminating more of the smoking areas and opening up more areas with fresh, clean air would bring in more people.

I really hope they fix this place back to the way it used to be when it opened. It was a truly great getaway, and I always thought the staff, managers, dealers, greeters and security guards were the nicest around. I can't recommend the place until the listed complaints are improved.

I think the complaints about the walk from the hotel to the casino are unfair. It's not really that far--enjoy the sights on your way, and, more importantly, you do get some walking exercise after a meal or sitting at the poker table. There are golf carts available for the walk if you are disabled, or even if you are not. I would recommend walking.

The seafood buffet is still very good, and the people that work this area are very nice.

The slots don't seem to pay out as they once did. There were times when there were bells and whistles going off everywhere. I watch for that, as another reviewer on here also noted.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank ThomTraveler
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I love this casino, the food was great, hotel staff was great. And with Paula Dean's food coming i well make it down.I'm telling every about the change.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2010

My husband surprised me by making reservations at the Horseshoe. We normally stay at Harrah's in St. Louis, but as we were travelling to visit family out of state he made different accomodations. The complex isn't easy to find as it sits basically in the middle of nowhere, corn fields, rural & the nearest convenience store is miles away. A very large property, while the shuttles & people movers are a very nice addition...the shuttle needs to run through casino operation hours. I truly hope the Paula Deen Buffet will be magnificent, but the current selection is terrible. Very little food offered and the quality was sub-standard. Staff was nice and friendly enough, however, check-in was a disaster. There were only 2 people doing the check-in & one was only for Diamond & Seven Star, so there was quite a wait. I have stayed at Harrahs many times over the years, and have never once encountered a mini-bar. This was not explained to me upon check-in, and as we have a small child who touches everything, we were charged $25.00 for the movement of an item that was never opened!! Mini bars should be offered only to those guests who want them, regular refrigerators in the room should be the norm, not the extra. While the poker room was nice, I was disaapointed in the slots areas.....very smokey & uncomfortable. So many slots crammed together that you practically sat on top of your neighbor. All in all, I was not impressed and will most likely not return. I will continue to stay in St. Louis at Harrahs and will try other properties, but this one needs a bit more polishing to be up to what you expect from a Harrah's property.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank BunnyB123
Reviewed 14 August 2010

geez they need to losen up the machines a bit. I go to the Horseshoe a couple times a month because it is the closest casino to my home. I surely don't expect to win every time I go but I would like to get a little play time. My other complaint is that they allow a few people to hog the machines they are known to pay. One gal sitting in the middle playing three machines. Very rude when people are waiting for the machines. I have always had excellent cocktail service in the casino so kudos to the servers and bartenders.
My only complaint about the hotel is the mold smell in some of the rooms and the paper thin walls...I mean PAPER thin. If you have a romantic couple in the next room you may as well be in the room with them. You can hear EVERYTHING????.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Comfort Inn Louisville
#49 of 102 in Louisville
Days Inn & Suites Louisville SW
#51 of 102 in Louisville
South Side
Comfort Inn & Suites Airport & Expo
Hampton Inn Corydon
#1 of 5 in Corydon

Been to Horseshoe Southern Indiana? Share your experiences!