“They don't deserve your business”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Elkhart
Buffalo, New York
“They don't deserve your business”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I am on the road a lot and I have stayed at hotels all over the country - I've never written a bad review, but this hotel and staff take the cake for the worst customer service I've ever seen...

Remember that Seinfeld episode where he reserves a car rental only to find they gave away his car?
Jerry: "But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have reservations"
Agent: "I know why we have reservations"
Jerry: "I don't think that you do. See you know how to take them but you don't know how to hold the reservation. That's really the most important part, the holding. Anybody can just take them"

I just lived the real-life scenario of that scene, except the staff member at this hotel wasn't just incompetent like in Seinfeld - they were RUDE. Yelling at me for no reason, telling me I don't know how hotels work...etc.

I paid for the room IN FULL ahead of time because I was worried I could lose my room, traveling across the country, I wasn't sure what time I would arrive, I even told them that when I reserved it and I was assured it would be there for me. But alas! they gave it away...

I could live with them just giving my room away.. if I got an apology... honest mistake.. Instead I was treated so rude by the young man at the front desk. This little punk shouldn't be allowed in the service business. On top of yelling at me (as if his mistake was my fault???) I was told they weren't going to refund my money... I was out $85!!!! My "fault for not knowing how hotels work". That is not only horrible customer service, but borderline criminal!!!

Even after all of this, I wasn't going to write this review until I spoke to the hotel manager. I mistakenly thought perhaps he'd be there to apologize at the very least for his rude night associate. I must have called 15 times, night/day, weekday/weekend.. etc. He was never there. I left messages to have him call back, he never did... unbelievable.

Do yourself a favor and check out the numerous other hotels in the area and up the road. These crooks don't deserve anyone's business.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 688Anonymous

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 10 July 2014

A good choice for budget travelers. Very friendly staff, good-sized room, AC worked well. It's not the Hilton, so picky travelers shouldn't stay here (or at any budget lodging). Towels are thin, sheets a bit worn, but you always have some tradeoffs to save money. Breakfast was good (again, as long as you're not a picky eater), included scrambled eggs and sausage along with the ubiquitous make-your-own waffles. Motel seemed full, but we found it pretty quiet, although maybe because many guests that weeknight appeared to be workers or older folks. Pool is under construction, but I don't think it's on their current web listings, so you shouldn't expect to be able to swim. The most accurate rating is probably a 3.5, but Trip Advisor doesn't allow those. I'd have no hesitation about staying here again.

Room Tip: Close to Menards, if you forgot some tools, as I did!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Hotel Confirmation #346256175

I usually check the review of a hotel on line before I go, but because I was traveling cross-country on a motorcycle, I didn't get the opportunity to do so. I wish I had.

It is important that people understand the comments and complaints about this hotel date back to 2003 and more importantly, the comments and complaints are repetitive. Every year, people are complaining about the same type of dissatisfaction. That is indicative of management and/or property owners who are not investing and properly budgeting for maintenance and care of the building. Are there hotels in worse shape? Probably. Would you want to stay in one? Absolutely not.

Word of advice - Do Not Stay Here.

After I ran into some problems with my room, I decided to check on the reviews. On January 25, 2014, Jennifer White, General Manager, responded to a guest who gave the hotel one star. She said to come back and see us in 6 months. Well, here is a review from someone else, 6 months later.

I’m sorry, Jennifer, but I am not impressed nor would I recommend this hotel to anyone even now, 6 months later. In fact, I strongly encourage potential customers to stay anywhere but here. We are giving our hard earned money to a chain that should be providing the necessary funds and tools for maintenance. This particular Quality Inn should be suspended from the chain until it can be brought up to standard.

First and foremost, my hat goes off to the gentleman at the front desk; Austin. He was polite, professional, and friendly and tried to fix things within his realm of responsibility.

I stayed here on June 22, 2014 in Room #105. When I went to close the curtains, I saw that one of the pull rods was lying on the window shelf - apparently broken. I pulled the curtains closed and saw large holes and tears on the right side. The curtains do not look like they’ve been cleaned in quite some time. I took photos, went down to the lobby and told Austin I didn't want to get charged for the damage.

I also told Austin when I sat down at the desk in my room and rested my arms on the edge I found it was sticky. Perhaps it was too much build up of wax or not wiping the edges thoroughly enough. I checked the nightstands and the TV entertainment stand and they were also very sticky along the edges.

Austin came down with a cleaner and tried cleaning the edge of the table, but it only made it worse.

The rack that held the hangers had rusted, worn parallel bars where the iron was stored. The oxidation and rust on the bars is an indication of a build up over a period of time, which means neglect in cleaning.

The Guest Directory folder was too small to hold the 8X11.5 standard paper that was in it. I opened the folder and saw that the "Welcome" letter was wrinkled, had circular indentations from cups and even a piece of dried, attached food over the "please feel" words in the 3rd paragraph. The corners were folded and it appeared this was one well-worn out document. Even the "We Welcome Your Comments" card was wrinkled, torn and had seen better days.

A ceiling water sprinkler in the bathroom had a small, plastic bag covering it and the one near the bed looked rusted and I wondered if it would work in an emergency.

In July 2012, someone wrote the pool was not working and had not been working since 2010. In September 2013, someone wrote that the pool had not been in service for over two years. An October 2013 comment on Trip Advisor noted the pool and spa were closed and under construction. June 2014, the pool is still closed and under construction.

The hallway ceiling tile near Room 120 was missing so guests had a nice view of the wiring. Wallpaper in the Vending Machine room was peeling as well as the wallpaper throughout the first floor hallway.

There is a pungent odor that I can only imagine is some type of bug/insect defogger.

The fire escape plan on the door was made of metal material and it too, was extremely sticky to the touch and had hair embedded into whatever the coating was that made it sticky.

I awoke early to make sure I was at the breakfast serving at 6:00am. The hotel had what looked like a classic car group staying here, so I wanted to beat the crowd. The dining area has 3 tables, each with 4 chairs. The food was comparable to other hotels I have stayed.

On the plus side for animal lovers, this hotel allows pets. There were quite a few owners and dogs roaming the hallways.

It was quite apparent to me that no one from management or supervision has taken the time to inspect my room or the 1st floor hallway in a very, very long time. Look, I don’t expect a 5 Star World Class Hotel, but when I give my money to a hotel, I do expect basic cleanliness and maintenance. I certainly expected more from a Quality Inn.

In short, this particular room did not live up to the name, "Quality Inn." I would strongly suggest the management not only pay close attention to the comments and complaints that are in the reviews, but to actually do something. Although it is commendable that someone is actually responding to the on line complaints in writing, problems are still rampant. “Thanks for letting us know,” responses from management have been ineffective in correcting repetitive problems or complaints. There certainly is no pride in ownership. This is absolutely unacceptable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Elkhart hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I do not understand the negative reviews of this hotel. We wee there for 2 nights for a family funeral. The rooms were clean and spacious, the beds very comfortable. All the staff were very friendly. They even lets us gather in the evening where the breakfast bar is. I would stay there again ..

Room Tip: There is no elevator to the 2nd floor. They have special rooms on the first floor for people who hav...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Nothing fancy, does need some remodeling but clean enough. Friendly staff. We just needed somewhere to stay while our motorhome was being worked on for 3 or 4 nights and this fit the bill. Price was the best we found in area and became even better with coupon from Visitors Center behind it.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EmileeReed
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

What was I thinking! Not sure what bothers me more the stink bug chillin' on the curtain, the spider webs on the ceiling, the bubble caulking that's not hiding where the ceiling leaked, the toilet that rocks when you sit on it, the half clean tub or the not so bright towels. I wanted to shower but the fan sounds like it's going to fall out of the ceiling. VERY, VERY disappointed.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jacolynn L
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Hotel ok. Needs updating in rooms and lobby. Wouldn't walk on rug without socks in room. Wouldn't stay here if I ever go to a Notre Dame again. Didn't even attempt to eat breakfast there went next door to Cracker Barrel which was excellent.
Location was good only 20min. Away from Notre Dame.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple