“Great hotel- little bit of a shady area”

Candlewood Suites Elkhart
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Elkhart
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great hotel- little bit of a shady area”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This hotel is nice but I did not like the area it was located in. We stayed here while driving from Pittsburgh to Chicago. The hotel is located in a group of other hotels and restaurants off of I-80 in Elkhart about 2 miles from the Michigan/Indiana line. The hotel itself was nice- very clean; friendly staff; and good location with lots of shopping and restaurants. However, we arrived around 8:30 p.m. and I noticed a lot of people just walking around. They didn't seem to be hotel guests but rather people checking our the cars at the hotel. For example, I pulled out around 9:15 p.m. to go to the nearby Walmart and there was a guy walking down the pitch-black road eating a bag of chips. Strange. I just got a weird feeling from the people I saw. Overall I would stay here again as it was clean and the rooms were nice. Just be sure to lock your car doors.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Gail J, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Elkhart, responded to this review, 1 October 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying at our hotel. I'm very sorry you felt uncomfortable seeing people walking around at night in a location you weren't familiar with. We are grateful you liked our hotel, staff, and the local shopping and restaurants but most of all that you would stay again.

We feel safe here but it is always a good idea to lock your car doors.

The team at Candlewood Suites

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
new york, ny
Reviewed 2 August 2014

couldn't be happier w my stay here! super spacious, clean rooms, full kitchen for under $100! sheets r awesome quality set back frm interstate so quiet, front desk help awesome & knowledgable. overall excellent stay for price. no free food :( A+++

• Stayed August 2014
Gail J, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Elkhart, responded to this review, 30 September 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the awesome five star review! We give you an A+++ for being so nice. I'm glad you enjoyed the size of our rooms, full kitchens and sheets. I will pass your review along to the front desk and it will make their day!

Look forward to seeing you again if you visit the Elkhart area.

Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We are staying at Candlewood Suites in Elkhart Indiana for 1 month . The Hotel exceeds our expectations. It is owner ran and owner worked. This makes all the difference in the world. The one bedroom suite is spacious and ideal for business. It is spotlessly kept in the rooms and all the corridors. Housekeeping is once a week and she did a great job. It has a free fitness and laundry area. While were working out we do our laundry. It is located right off the toll road which is great. Also it has at least 15 restaurants within 3-5 minutes and a movie thetare. Also Walgreens Kmart and Walmart are the same distance as the restaurants. So many conveniences. we are really happy we chose to spend our time here at the Candlewood Suites..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Wow! We appreciate you taking the time to shower us with praise! Thank you! I'm glad you had a great month stay with our extended stay hotel and that it exceeded your expectations.

Please come and stay with again should the need arise!

Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were able to stay here on IHG point breaks and it was a great steal. The front desk check in process was one of the best I've ever had; the night manager couldn't have been any more helpful. The place looks like it was recently redone and had a locker where you could borrow some essentials for cooking (not that they would really be needed since there is a full kitchen). The room was clean and well appointed. The only thing I noticed was that the pipes knocked early in the morning (someone nearby showering) and the water pressure in our room seemed to be low. Definitely a place that I would stay in again on my travels.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Gail J, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Elkhart, responded to this review, 7 October 2014
Dear Guest,
That is awesome you were able to stay on IHG point breaks! Thank you for your loyalty and for acknowledging the front desk check in process. They do a very good job! I'm glad you enjoyed how clean our property is and the locker.

All and all it sounds like you had a great stay. Sorry for the issue with your morning shower. We are happy you would stay again on your travels.

All the Best,
Perrysburg, Ohio
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I be here for business, and everytime I'm in the area I will stay at Candlewood Suites Elkhart, the staff is amazing, and the rooms are great. I love the atmosphere and it just keeps getting better. If you're looking for a clean, nice, reasonable price Candlewood Suites is the hotel for you. When I arrive to the hotel, the owner himself would greet me and hold a conversation with me. You can tell the staff and the owners gets along very well. You will not be disappointed if you stay here. I just wish I could stay more often, but I will give the hotel and the people 2 thumbs up!

Room Tip: No pool but I'm not here long enough for pool use.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
DOS46514, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Elkhart, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for your excellent review. Appreciate all of our guests and do our very best to ensure that we have done all that can be done to ensure that the stay is an enjoyable one. Repeat business is the backbone of every hotel, and one way to ensure it, is top rated guest services. Please return again soon.
Sincerely, DOS
Burnsville, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Our room was very nice, clean and in good shape. The property seemed clean and the staff person who checked us in was very nice. So why not a very good or excellent rating? The other guests. Unlike another reviewer, it was clear to me some of the people had been staying here for quite a while, and considered it home. There was an all-night poker game going on down the hall--with the door open so people could come and go. There were people outside smoking until all hours. If you are looking for value, cleanliness, and don't have kids, this is probably a good choice. But if you are expecting a little bit classier suite hotel for your money, this probably isn't it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SonofAslan
DOS46514, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Elkhart, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
We thank you for choosing the Candlewood Suites Elkhart IN. Reasons vary why guest have a need for hotel lodging. Some are looking to get out for a bit of rest, others travel for business. Still others depend on extended stay hotels as they are away from home working on long term projects. Consider building a bridge or other massive projects that take considerable planning, timing, and execution. Regardless, we attempt to meet or exceed each guests expectations. The first course of action is to notify the staff as they are trained to deal with various circumstances as they arise. We hope that you will return soon.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Years ago (don't remember which) I had stayed at this hotel, it was nice no complaints other than the girl at the front desk did not know what county the hotel was in when there was tornado's in the area. Fast forward to 2013, stayed here since there were no rooms anywhere because of RV week in Elkhart (not the reason for my visit). Front desk person was great, looks like from what I remember the hotel rooms and halls were updated, rooms very nice. Bed was comfortable, Internet was good as well. I was on 3rd floor, but some other people staying there who were on the 2nd and 1st said that you can hear people walking around above you. This hotel is walking distance to an Applebee's but right now the road over the highway are other places to eat so very convenient. If you like IHG priority club type places, this hotel is a good choice and usually less money than the Holiday Inn Express next door.

Room Tip: One thing to remember, being an extended stay is that you will not have maid service every day like...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
DOS46514, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Elkhart, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Thank you for choosing the Candlewood Inn & Suites. It is a pleasure to serve our guests and clients with the higest degree of professionalism, while providing a relaxed environment. Please vistit us again soon.