“Overwhelmed staff could use more training”

Hilton Garden Inn Elkhart
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Elkhart
Florida
“Overwhelmed staff could use more training”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for first ND football game because prices were half what SB hotels charge - although still double what hotel charges for non football weekends. The front desk staff seemed totally overwhelmed at check-in, although only two families were checking in at the same time. The two clerks kept conferring back and forth, ours had trouble finding res which had been made since May. We were in a double queen, the other family in a king but requested a double queen because of their kids. The staff told them there were none. We offered to trade. After several minutes of conferring and punching keys on computer they couldn't figure out how to do it. How hard could it possibly be? Finally, both of us just said forget it, give us the rooms we are assigned. So we got to our room and the keys didn't work. I wonder if they were the other family's keys.
Room was nice enough although microwave wasn't plugged in. We could have moved cabinet to plug in but didn't.
I went to fitness center to work out kinks of long drive. 3 machines - treadmill didn't work (but its TV system did), stairstepper worked (but TV did not), and bike.
I hoped breakfast next morning would redeem hotel in my mind. It was OK, not great but no glaring deficiencies. The staff were totally overwhelmed at the number of people (I guess time constraints of going to game had more guests coming in over a shorter time period). I don't like to eat traditional breakfast eggs/bacon/sausage so had a bagel and fruit. Just OK. Husband had pancakes and liked them. Overall, place did what we needed, nothing more. Price was high but it was a football weekend.

• Stayed August 2013
Chris N, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Elkhart, responded to this review, 8 March 2016
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that old management of this hotel did not respond to your review. Please know that I started at this property in late 2014 and if I can be of any service to you, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Chris Newsome

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Webster, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

Clean, welcoming hotel. Staff is friendly and helpful. Rooms are decent. Small bar in lobby- but great bartender! Decent breakfast with hot and cold options. We stay here everytime we come to the area and always will!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Greenwood, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

Clean, large, and comfortable room. What more do you want in a room? Friendly and helpful front desk staff. The hotel is back off 19 a little bit so you need to look for it. It is nice hotel and worth finding.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

We arrived in Elkhart around 9 on a Sunday night after along day of traveling from Minnesota. The check-in was very quick, our room was very comfortable. The beds were just right, the room was large, nicely decorated and very clean. After a great nights sleep the highlight was the great staff in the dining room. I wish I remembered their names. There were two servers and a cook and they were all so kind and cheerful. It was a great way to start the day!

Room Tip: We chose a king suite and it was perfect for our family of 4.

Elkhart, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

This hotel is clean and modern with all of the amenities you would want including a nice workout area and pool. The staff is professional and friendly and goes out of their way to keep you happy. In my opinion this is the best valued hotel in the area.

St Charles, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Great place to stay, very clean and welcoming. Staff are all very nice and helpful. It also has a good restaurant and bar if that is what you need. Book early as they are always sold out. What does that tell you? My new place to stay during my travels to Elkhart.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Champaign, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed here one night. The hotel was nice, room was clean, beds were comfortable. We had a wheelchair accessible room with 2 queen beds. The accessibility was for my elderly mother. I was disappointed that there was not a grab bar next to the toilet. This would have been helpful.The room mini-frig was handy. Many of the hotels in the area offer free continental breakfast, this one does not. There is a breakfast buffet for $10/each but we didn't try it. There are many restaurants in the area within easy access to I-80.