“DO NOT GO NEAR THIS PLACE-horrid” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Elkhart
West Caldwell, New Jersey
“DO NOT GO NEAR THIS PLACE-horrid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2010

I was travelling alone with my 12yr old and small puppy. I needed a place to stay with the dog and the econolodge elkhart had some nice reviews on TA. So i took the chance and booked it. First room they gave me smelled like death and thankfully i had asked to check it out before i took it. After the woman was informed about how musty and smelly the room was i asked for another and she found one for me and then went and asked me to pay upfront. I gave her my credit card and the total was 25.00 more than i had reserved online for. After asking her why this was she said because she had to give me a different room and no more kings were left. To which i told her that i didn't ask her for two doubles she just gave them to me. She then said "Oh im supposed to charge you but i'll take it off". Yea OK. this was not a kid behind the desk it was a nasty older woman who would not even look at me. I went to the room with a bad taste in my mouth now and brought our things up. The room was big as described by others and the bathroom was small and pretty gross to be honest. stains on the floor, tub, walls yuk. I then took my puppy out for a walk around the building and there i saw on the ground red underwear and a black wig. This all made sense when during the night the knocking on the doors all around never stopped. hmmmmmm, at 430a.m. i got up took a quick shower and told my daughter to start packing up so we could get out of there. Absolutely disgusting place. There are plenty of hotels in this area to choose from and so I really hope you pass on this one when reading the other reviews. what a nightmare. ugh.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Sioux City, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2010

this was a good hotel. it was quiet and very clean and the front desk attendant was really helpful with directions.

Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Brookfield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2009

I would agree pretty much with the previous poster on their thoughts. We were there as a stopover on a road trip. Perhaps one of the reasons for the excessive hair on the bed was because they allow pets? That can be a good thing, as we were traveling with our dog, but I could see how it would be troubling for someone with allergies, etc. Our dog slept on the floor, but there's no controlling the shedding.
Otherwise, the hotel was cheap, seemed relatively clean, and they had some bad (but free) coffee in the morning. A decent stopover on a long road trip - I have seen worse!
It's also right off the interstate, so I think that's the market they're going for.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
New Brunswick, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2008

I recently stayed here for one night, as a pit stop on a road trip. Most of the room was fine - the bathroom was clean and the shower had good water pressure. The carpet also looked fairly clean, and there was a refrigerator and coffee pot.

The bed, however, was gross. The blanket had something stuck to it - it looked like vomit. When we went to the front desk to get a new blanket, the clerk left a bedspread on the counter and went into the back room. When we asked for a blanket, the clerk returned and patted the bedspread. We did eventually get a clean blanket. When we were remaking the bed, though, we noticed a large yellow stain on the bedspread. There was also a lot of hair on the sheets.

The exterior of the hotel is a little creepy - there was a mound of trash by one of the stairwells.

• Liked — Good water pressure in shower
  • Disliked — Nasty bed
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Elkhart hotels