“Dirty, Stay Away!”

Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Elkhart
Carlisle, Pennsylvania, United States
“Dirty, Stay Away!”
Reviewed 16 October 2012

My boyfriend and I decided to take a trip to the South Bend/Elkhart area to see a Notre Dame football game. Of course on football weekends, the rates of hotels are ridiculous. Sleep Inn's rate was 139 a night and was not even close to worth it. We cheked in, the girl at the front desk was nice and efficient. The entrance of the hotel looked okay. Things turned bad when we climbed the steps to our room. The carpets looked like they hadn't been vaccuumed in weeks. There were holes in the hallway walls. I decided to overlook this because after our 10 hour drive I was exhausted. Although I should have trusted my gut to turn around and go somewhere else. We entered the room and I went to sit on the bed and saw a stain and a black hair.... So I proceeded to inspect the entire room. There were hairs in the shower, sink area, and both beds. The sheets had stains. Also there was a red substance on the floor beside the toilet. The girl at the front desk insisted that it wasnt blood. I beg to differ.... Disgusted and tired we simply asked to have another room. Upon entering the second room on a different floor we smelled cigarettes and this hotel is supposed to be NON-smoking. With both of us being non-smokers, we were greatly dissappointed. The room was also stain filled, the sheets and the carpet. Exhausted and fed up we returned to the front desk and asked the girl to cancel our entire reseravation. She smugly responded by saying she would cancel the reservation but we weren't going to find another hotel with availability. As if they knew they were the only ones with availibility and they could get away with their uncleanliness. We decided that paying $200 a night at another local hotel was beyond worth it! Stay Away!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heather F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chicago
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Our first time in a Sleep Inn and very happy with the overall quality including decor, cleanliness, beds, designer shower, towels, pool and good breakfast. Our research found the highest Trip Advisor reviews here plus low prices -- considerably lower than other two and three-star hotels nearby. Fellow Trip Advisor reviewers were right and we were very glad we stayed here. Just off Indiana Toll Road in Elkhart (northeast Indiana).

Traveling on an October weeknight with nothing happening nearby probably helped affordability. I can visualize all area hotels raising their rates five times on Notre Dame football weekends. Notwithstanding, this was a surprisingly nice hotel and we'll check other Sleep Inns on future travels.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rbb543
Mesquite, Nevada
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Well-located just off I-80, the Sleep Inn was recommended to us and it fit the bill perfectly! During a cross-country drive, it was the perfect end to a long day. Surprisingly quiet,this hotel has everything you need--and then some! Clean, good lighting, cordial staff, comfortable, hearty breakfast--and did I say clean? Not too far from a great variety of restaurants and shopping opportunities in nearby South Bend. Would be ideal for those having activities at Notre Dame (i.e. Football game). A very pleasant surprise indeed!

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Melanie G
Syracuse
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We stayed here for the weekend to go see Notre Dame play in South Bend and loved it. The rates were very reasonable for gameday weekend compared to the other hotels in South Bend and Elkhart. The room was very nice and had every amenity we would need: good size flat screen tv, comfortable (and clean) king sized bed and blankets, drawers, closet area with places for folded clothes, iron/ironing board, mini fridge, coffee maker, nice shower, and plenty of lighting. The ceilings were quite high which gave the room a more spacious and luxurious feel and the layout was excellent. The room was very clean and the sheets and towels were replaced each day.

The staff was very helpful and accommodating, a very polite girl named Michelle helped us book our room at the front desk. There's an indoor pool, sauna, workout room, and breakfast area which was nice. The continental breakfast was quite good as far as continental breakfasts go.

Would definitely stay here again if we decide to come back to see another game at Notre Dame.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lubby
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I have to admit, I only stayed here because I had some hotel points that were going to expire soon if I didn't use them. I liked the reviews and we had enough points to get this room for free for one night. I would not hesitate to stay here again! The room is unique. Very spacious, high ceilings and a sliding "pocket " door that separates the vanity area from he shower/toilet area. Very clean room. VERY spacious shower stall with glass door enclosure. The beds were firm and comfortable. Nice pillows... not the overly squishy kind. Flat screen TV, (but I didn't see a clock.) The lights are mounted on the ceiling above the head of the bed. Easy to snap on instead of the usual twisting knobs at most places. I realy liked the layout of the room. It was not what I expected for a budget hotel. Breakfast was about what you'd see at most hotels.
The pool area was the only thing that disappointed me. It smelled and looked over chlorinated. Hazy and almost a green color instead of the blue it was suppose to be. The jacuuzi was nice though.
We forgot to bring a razor with us, so they gave us one at the front desk. Nice sleep, but as one reviewer said before me... the higher the floor... the less noise you'll hear. We had a family above us and their kids were having fun running back and forth. We brought a small fan to drown out that sort of stuff.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the less noise you'll hear from neighbors.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Nickie623
Ohio
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Recently stayed in Elkhart, Indiana. Not sure why, but all of the hotel parking lots are dark. We arrived late ( after 11) and was checked in with ease. Room was standard with two queens. The bathroom was a bit odd...it had a pocket door to the shower and toilet. Speaking of shower...it was the largest, roomiest one I had ever encountered in this hotel class. It was nice not having shower curtains as this was glass enclosed,, no tub. Water was very warm. Breakfast items included: juices, coffee, flavored creamers, cereal, danishes, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, sausage patty, waffles. As I was just passing thru town, I would probably stay again.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kayroOH
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 August 2012

This hotel was pretty close to what I would expect for the price. My 2 children and I stayed here the first night of a road trip from MN to Maine and back. The room was acceptable (This could be a superb hotel for the price if the carpets cleaned and there was a bit more attention to detail in the bathroom but overall OK.)

I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family