“A good place to stop for the night...”

Hampton Inn Elkhart
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Elkhart
Otego, New York
“A good place to stop for the night...”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We drive approximately 1,000 miles each way to visit family 2-3 times a year. This particular hotel has been our half-way point stop for the night over the past 5 or 6 years. We feel that it offers a good room for a decent price. It's always provided us with great customer service. The front desk clerk is known to cater to our young daughter. Sometimes we arrive late at night and by the time we return from dinner it's close to or after 10 PM, when the pool is normally closed/closing. They've always offered to let us take our daughter down to swim, if we'd like. Also, they've given her gummy bears and cookies upon arrival. We've been very happy with the cleanliness and comfort of the hotel and the provisions of the complimentary breakfast. (Good offerings for people on a low-carb diet too!) My only complaint has been that the woman who is/was the breakfast hostess was sometimes too friendly/chatty with us. I'm a Midwesterner and am all for friendly, but this woman was a little too much. One thing we love about Hampton Inns, silly as it may sound, is the night-light type lighting at the top of the built ins along the outside wall. It's so nice to have an unobtrusive light that can be kept on all night...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Sima P, General Manager at Hampton Inn Elkhart, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond about your stays at our hotel. We truly appreciate your time and wonderful comments. We apologize for our Breakfast Hostess being too friendly. That is just how she is. We have tried to talk to her, but she loves to talk. We hope you understand.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Sedalia, Missouri
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Stay at another Hampton Inn in the area! This one in Elkhart wasn't up to par as most Hampton's. We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Goshen previously and were shocked at the service in this hotel. Front desk clerk was very unwelcoming. There was food all over the floor in the breakfast area and lobby. Could not swim because employee had several rowdy family members in pool area. They were there 45 minutes past pool closing time of 10:00pm.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hampton Inn in Goshen if traveling to this area!
Sima P, Manager at Hampton Inn Elkhart, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Dear Danyale Ragus:

Thank you for taking our survey, we really appreciate it. I would like to personally apologize to you for you feeling that I was not friendly enough to you at check in. I would like to explain the events from that night. During your check in it was not a friend of mine standing at the desk, it was our owners daughter, she had stopped in for a brief moment to say hello. As for my family members, my sister (who is employed here) and our aunt (that was a paying guest) that lives in another state that came to visit us for the weekend who checked in at 9:14pm that evening were in the lobby at one point and did use the pool after 10pm. I do at times leave the pool open after 10pm on Fridays because guest like to enjoy it, but after 11pm which is when I leave I let the 3rd shift decide if they want to give that extra guest touch by leaving it open a little longer. I can understand if you were frustrated because you did not know whether or not they were paying guest, but to reassure you they were paying guest and I have to treat them the same as I do my regular guest.
As for the breakfast area right before you had checked in, there were other guest eating pizza with their family. I am sorry I did not get to the crumbs before you had went in there. As for the coffee bar, the light is constantly on, unfortunately it's just not as bright as some guest would like it to be. So I apologize for it being to dark.
Again I am personally sorry that you did not have a pleasant stay because of the issues above. Again thank you for completing our survey. Have a wonderful day.

Wendy Johnson
Assistant General Manager
San Marcos, California
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I agree with some of the other reviews. The price was higher than its counterparts of the same level. I thought the room itself was nice and well maintained but the complimentary breakfast was pretty lackluster. Maybe one should not complain about freebies but other places do a better job. We left and went to the Holiday Inn across the road because the internet connectivity was not what we needed. Had that not been a problem we would have stayed. The Holiday Inn rooms were not as nice but the internet was good and the breakfasts were much better.

Room Tip: I actually got one of the last rooms. It was a handicapped room which was probably better than a re...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Sima P, General Manager at Hampton Inn Elkhart, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for the Internet. We are in the middle of upgrading our Internet so our guests don't face any problems. Please bear with us until we do. As far as our Breakfast, please tell us what you would like to see in our Breakast when you stay with us again. Thank you.

Genearl Manager
Michigan
Reviewed 8 March 2013

For business or play, this Hampton Inn can't be beat! Great Beds, Great Eats, Great Service! Hotel was easy to get to, and there are a variety of restaurants close by. During the evening a snow storm hit the area ( 12 inches ) - and the crews were clearing the lots for their patrons and making sure the sidewalks were safe!

Room Tip: If you have a special request for a room, the front desk will bend over backwards to accomodate your...
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for an outstanding comments about your stay at our hotel. We truly appreciate your time. It is so nice to hear good things about your hotel and staff. Thank you. Have a great week and we hope to see you soon.

Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Room was great. Breakfast was great. The front desk and the housekeeping were great. Only issue was it was snowing hard, and the plows started on the Kmart parking lot outside the room at 3am and woke me up.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Sima P, General Manager at Hampton Inn Elkhart, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank You for a great survey. We really appreciate your time. It's always nice to hear good things about your hotel and staff. Thank you. We apologize for the snow plowers waking you up early in the morning. We hope to better accommodate your needs next time you stay with us. Have a wonderful week and we hope to see you soon.

Oneonta, New York
Reviewed 31 January 2013

We stay here several times every year and have never been disappointed. The rooms are spacious, clean, and the beds are fairly comfortable. The staff has been exceptionally friendly and hospitable every time we've stayed. We also love that the pool and hot tub are in the same room, so after 10+ hours of travel, our little girl can splash around with us, then we can all relax before bed time. The breakfast is pretty good, though nothing special, and there is a Cracker Barrel right across the street. We've tried several other hotels in the area, but still like this one the best.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Sima P, General Manager at Hampton Inn Elkhart, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for an awesome survey. We truly appreciate your time. We are so glad that you like our hotel and our staff. It is so nice to hear good things about your hotel. Thank you. Have a wonderful week and we hope to see you soon.

Maine
Reviewed 24 December 2012

I have traveled to Elkhart several times for business, and have stayed at the Hampton Inn most of the time. The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean, I feel safe, and the value is good. A few years back I filled out a satisfaction survey from Hampton...and I commented that it would be great if the guest rooms had a microwave oven and refrigerator. I actually heard back from the manager at the Hampton, and lo and behold...when I arrived for my next visit to the Hampton, the room had a microwave and a fridge!! Granted, these upgrades were probably already in the works...but it was nice to see a "reaction" to my survey. The beds are very comfortable...I usually don't toss and turn much at all, which I cannot say about other hotels I have experienced. At the end of this visit was when Hurricane Sandy hit the east coast, and my flight home was cancelled. I called the front desk...and no problem, stay an extra night. No hassle about changing rooms at the last moment...just a thank you from the Hampton.

The free breakfast offered daily is OK, but not great. There are several choices, from cold items to hot items. The woman that generally manages the area...I swear she has been there since I started going to Elkhart back in 2000...is wonderful. I enjoy talking with her when I come by, and I find that "familiarity with the staff" to be one of the drawing points of this Hampton. I can't comment on how responsive the staff is to complaints...as I haven't had reason to complain about anything. There are several places to stay in Elkhart...and the only reason I have had to stay elsewhere is because the Hampton is sold out during Notre Dame home games. So if you plan on staying during the fall...check the Notre Dame schedule first. There are TONS of dining opportunities within a few miles of the Hampton, and all are easily found. If possible, plan on staying an extra day and explore the nearby Amish country...just don't plan on doing that on a Sunday.

Room Tip: Rooms either have a view of a local strip mall or of a row of other motels. Pick your preference...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Sima P, General Manager at Hampton Inn Elkhart, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for an awesome response. It is so wonderful to hear great things about your hotel and staff. When I started reading about your survey, I thought it was going to be a bad survey since it was so long. But you had so many good things to say about our hotel. Thank you!!! Have a wonderful and safe New Year and we hope to see you soon.