“Super hotel”

Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Evansville
Columbia, Missouri
“Super hotel”
Reviewed 17 September 2009

Spent 3 nights, room was very clean with microwave and frig. Hotel is on a lake, request a lake view room when you make your reservation. There are great resturants very close to the hotel. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
san jose
Reviewed 17 September 2009

OK, the other reviews are fine as far as they go. We stayed 4 nights over Labor Day in a suite with a view of the "lake" and water birds, very nice. The place was newer, clean, quiet and the staff was very friendly. Free internet in room + business center where you can print out boarding passes, away from street noise. I did a lot of research before booking this! So what went wrong? you ask! Upon entering the room, I went over to sit on the bed to look out the window. It was like sitting on a slab of cement. This is NOT an exaggeration! Upon further inspection, the literature raved about a "bed system" and you each could dial your own comfort level. So there's hope, right? Nope. It was already set on "optimum" vs firm (I can't even imaging what that setting would be like). So I adjusted each side to the softest level possible. The brochure also says it "contours to your body". Let me quote my husband on this one. "Yes, it contours to your body....one big hard trough!". Bottom line, we woke up sore each morning and if the room hadn't been prepaid we would have moved. Now if you like really, really firm mattresses, sleep here. Otherwise, not so much. We've traveled the world and I think this was the firmest anywhere. Also, the A/C blew directly down onto the bed really hard even cutting through covers + making your forehead cold while the rest was tucked in. I finally learned to turn it on very cold for a period of time before going to bed then turning it back up so it wouldn't come on while we slept. The breakfast served there, especially for $10, was mediocre at best. There's an IHOP just down the street and around the corner, much better, much cheaper. Also, the light bulbs in the rooms are too dim to read by (something so common these days), but the lobby was pretty with lots of windows and light so I read there. Otherwise, in the room at night I took the lampshade off (yes, carefully, and replaced it carefully).

There are lots of decent restaurants within a few blocks including an Outback. Right across the parking lot is a Texas Roadhouse, peanuts on the floor and great ribs. Tip: if you don't have kids, avoid the wait, bypass the crowd and eat at the small bar. Really great fun guys/bartenders + immediate service. Don't bother with Logan's Roadhouse, bad food and worse service. And especially don't bother with the Golden Corral for breakfast. I think it may be the worse breakfast I've ever had. But cheap! If you like fish, we had a couple of absolutely wonderful dinners at the Bonefish Grill (next to Borders). There are so many to choose from, but I never saw anyone in the hotel restaurant for dinner. Not one person. By the way, I'm only giving the hotel 2 stars because if you can't sleep, what difference does the rest make? Hope this review helps!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carolith
Lexington, KY
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I cannot think of one negative thing to say about this hotel. It was so clean and nice that you could eat off the floor. There was no extra pillow or blanket in the room and when requested, it was brought to me immediately.

The hotel was sold out this weekend and there was not one sound that you could hear from the other rooms or hallway. I have excellent hearing and am sometimes bothered by this.

The air conditioner worked so well that it made me not want to leave the room.

Hilton Garden Inn chains are typically $35.00 more a night than the surrounding chains. Well worth the extra, in my opinion. If $35.00 can buy a clean, quite, peaceful rest, then by all means, spend the extra!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Midwest
Reviewed 13 April 2009

My family and I stayed at the Evansville Garden Inn for one night in March. This hotel appears fairly new and in very good condition. Check-in was smooth and the room was well-decorated and clean. The pool and hot-tub were nice, despite the pool being on the smaller size (typical of Garden Inn).

We had a dinner meal in the restaurant/lobby with mixed results. Some food was good - other items only average. In general, the restaurant was poorly staffed (at least in the evening) and you feel like you are an after-thought for service.

This hotel is the nicest we have stayed at in the Evansville area - a definite step up from the Hampton/Drury Inn level and the cost is only marginally more. I would recommend it over these other types of properties.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Atlanta
Reviewed 10 March 2009

My partner and I have stayed at almost every hotel in the Evansville area over the past 16 years. The newly built Garden Inn is clearly a cut above. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The flat-screen TV was great; it is easy to hook up my portable DVD player. We'll be staying there from now on.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Indianapolis
Reviewed 5 October 2008

I travel to Evansville quite frequently for my company, and I'm so glad that there is finally a Hilton Garden Inn! I took advantage of this new hotel only a few weeks after it opened and they had already mastered the quality customer service that I count on during check in after a long day of traveling or meetings. I stayed in a King room and have never slept so well in my life! The mattresses are much more comfortable than the one I have at home, and my room overlooked a beautiful lake that had a very calming and serene affect. I even decided to stay there and have dinner in their restaurant and I was again impressed, the steak was better than most of the steaks I've had in fancy steakhouses.

• Liked — Quality of Customer Service
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)