“It's decent - close to Holiday World, right off highway.”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Ferdinand
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ferdinand
Indiana
“It's decent - close to Holiday World, right off highway.”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed here 2 nights for family trip to Holiday World. 2 Adults, 3 teens. Check in was quick & efficient. Friendly, helpful front desk staff. Room was satisfactory - clean, odor-free. Bathroom was clean and properly stocked. Sofa bed mattress was a little iffy - some exposed springs on edge of mattress - but my 5' 10" son managed to get a decent night's sleep on it (2 nights, actually). Bedding in closet for sofa bed had blanket, pillow, but only 1 sheet & no pillowcase for it, had to go get rest from front desk. Air conditioner cooled well, but very loud. Fridge/freezer & microwave worked great. Our cooler freezy-pacs were frozen solid and the pop & water we had in the fridge was cooled almost to freezing, so that was good. Breakfast bar (on Eastern, Central) had coffee, OJ/apple juice, milk/cereal, bagels/toast, mini-muffins, packaged danish, waffle maker (blueberry or plain), hot sausage patties & scambled egg squares (make a bagelwich out of them), yogurt, fresh fruit (apples, oranges, bananas), and hard-boiled eggs. We all managed to eat a decent breakfast both mornings. Ice machine upstairs was out of order. Daughter lost money in the vending machine, but front desk refunded promptly & apologized. Free paper, local maps, discount Holiday World tickets available ($4 off) (but McDonald's discount coupons were a better deal). Not much around for dining. Wendy's next door very busy. Subway & a China Garden across the street. A McDonald's going in across the street, but not done yet. CVS across the street has pretty much everything you might need. Papa Johns pizza will deliver to your room. Two mexican restaurants in Ferdinand, but didn't want to take our chances. Ate at Homestead Pizza in Ferdinand last year & it was no good. If you're going to the themepark, your best dinner will be at the restaurant in the Thanksgiving area. We all ate adult meals for $54, and it's like Thanksgiving buffet. Oh, the pool: major disappointment here. It's a 15 X 20 foot rectangle in the ground with water in it. Small steps, one rail; exit rail at "deep end" which is 3' 9". I didn't swim in it, but the kids did and said it tasted like salt water, so they must use a salt water system rather than chlorine. Don't waste getting your bathing suit wet. We were going to the water park for 2 days, so the pool didn't matter to us, but would have been a bummer if we were just traveling. Holiday World is about 7 miles south. Turn left & go straight till you get there. (If it's before opening, park in the Legend Lot, it's a shorter walk to the entrance.) The hotel is right off the I-64 exit, so that was convenient, too. Hotel was fairly quiet. Very little around there, farmhills to the north, gas station/convenience store next door, Wendy's next to that, then highway & farms after that. Across street is the CVS & other stuff I mentioned, trying to build a business park, but so far that's all that's there. Beyond that is more farmland. Kind of nice & refreshing, actually. Ferdinand is a couple of miles to the north. Very small town, also quiet. This hotel was fine for our needs. Not Holiday Inn Express, but clean & adequate (minus the pool). Didn't have any of the cleanliness issues other recent reviewers had. We aren't super picky, but I do require basic cleanliness, beds & bedding must be clean, and bathroom must meet standard. We would stay here again, but if they put in a HI Express we would probably go there. The Queen Suite (with sofa bed) ran us $300 after all the taxes & whatnot for 2 nights (Fri/Sat) on a holiday weekend (Memorial Day).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank greenfeather

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 2 May 2012

By far the worst hotel experience I've ever had. My family (ten people, 4 rooms) had traveled to Southern Indiana to lay my father at rest. After a very long day, we arrived at the Comfort Inn in Ferdinand, the hostess was very kind and professional.... that's where the "good" stopped.The pool was unusable though no sign of anykind present. Ants everywhere, no smell of chlorine and no water circulating as normal with any other pool I'd seen. When we opened the sofa bed, we found where a mouse or rat had eaten/ripped part of the mattress and many feces droppings. My two sons and daughter requested another room. They were allowed to view three other rooms, the first: sofat bed springs broken, the second: more food and rodent droppings found in sofa bed. The third: things appeared OK with the exception of little or no A/C and the smell of animals. (pets are allowed here). By this time it is well after 11PM. It was too late to awaken my Mother and other family from the other three rooms. The hotel was not crowded by any means this day, but the only option the hostess had (she feared she would get into trouble with her manager) was to bill us for a second room and "possibly" that in the morning when the manager arrived could get us some sort of discount. This is no attack on the hostess by the way, she was very kind but obviously very limited on what she was allowed to do. So... in order to have enough clean and safe beds for the ladies in my family..... my two sons and I packed up and headed home to Lafayette 4 hours away at midnight.Laying my father to rest was hard enough..... we didn't need this experience. Honestly?..... I really think a refund should be in order for my family..... this evening was totally unacceptable. I might also reference a review here back in 2009 with similar sightings. Simply offering us one more good bed would have avoided my writing this review by the way.... and never in the evening did I request a discount or such, simply a suitable room. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: I would have to say, "Pass this one by"
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank StephenMcKim
Indiana
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We normally stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Jasper, but it was booked for our annual trip to Holiday World. I read the reviews and thought "how bad can this place really be?". It was really that bad. Every surface in the room was filthy. Oil on the nightstand, urine around the base of the toilet, hair in the sheets, and disgusting carpet. The breakfast room was small and overly crowded. After seeing the state of cleanliness everywhere else in the hotel I opted not to eat. I will never stay here again. Months later it still gives the shivers.

The only bright spot was the woman at the desk when we checked in. She was friendly and helpful. I requested a room facing north if possible and she sent me to one that had been recently smoked in, but warned me. I said I'd check it out, but it was overpowering. She immediately sent us to one across the hall.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank indyjen
Indianapolis
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of hotel options for Holiday World visitors. I've stayed in many Comfort Inns and this is definitely the worst. Don't expect much more than a bed, TV, and a bathroom. It's old and not very clean. You're better off driving an hour to Louisville and at staying at the Embassy Suites, which we did the next day. We actually paid LESS for the Embassy room than what we paid at this Comfort Inn.

Room Tip: None of the rooms here are good.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank roseinc060963
Anderson IN
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We stayed here one night during a recent trip to Holiday World. I now know why it was the only hotel in the area with rooms available. This hotel is probably the worst I've stayed in in my life, and I'm 53 and have stayed in quite a few hotels in my life. As many others have said, it is painfully overpriced. Cleanliness and maintenance are clearly not priorities of the franchise owner. As others have said, the third floor A/C was still not operating on August 6-7, 2011. I will never stay here again, and I advise anyone considering it to use this as an absolute last resort and be forewarned.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank David H
Madison, AL
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This is a basic Comfort Inn, nothing special but I thought from the price I was going to be staying at a 5 star hotel. Woman at front desk announced both mine and my friend's room numbers aloud so everyone could hear. Small pool in an enclosed room, heavily chlorinated, could not stay there very long due to the fumes. Both waffle machines need to be replaced. Pastries were stale. If you are going to charge big city prices, you need to make it worth it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank LisaRNinAL
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I have been a long-time customer of the Choice Hotels family, which includes Comfort Inns, and I have to say this was about the most disappointing experience I have ever had with them. The hotel is not so old that it should already be in the condition it is in...they must do no deep-cleaning or maintenance whatsoever. I arrived kind of late, and took the room despite my shock at the rack rate. My discounted rate was still way more than it should have been considering the run-down condition of the place and the very poor "breakfast" that was offered. I still have not been credited with my frequent stay points, though I have asked twice. If you have a choice to stay elsewhere, I would suggest you take it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ferdinand
Comfort Inn
#2 of 5 in Jasper
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#1 of 1 in Huntingburg

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Ferdinand? Share your experiences!