“Bellagio Wannabe”

Belterra Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This place reminds me of the Bellagio in every way, except the casino itself. The decor, the font of the Belterra, the colors all are very similar. The bathrooms are huge. The beds are comfy. The showroom is nice. The casino was super smokey and just eh. Nothing to write home about. The buffet was good, but expensive. The most reasonable food option is the Sports Bar. This place had good food, although the menu is extremely limited. I never had a bad meal here. I would come here again for a special event.

I also had a massage here. The massage was excellent. The spa area which is open to guests for free is also very nice and well done. The only bummer is the hot tub is not co-ed. So my husband and I had to sit in hot tubs in separate rooms.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the resort and it was beautiful. I received a lovely room on the 14th floor. It looked brand new.loved the two tv's.
We had a breakfast in the newly renovated buffet area. The food was fresh and hot and the staff very pleasant.
The second night we had a great dinner at Jeff Ruby..a world class steakhouse.
We spent a lot of time in the casino and although we won nothing..it was fun.
I would highly recommend staying here.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I'm not much of a gambler, but I have stayed at several casino's throughout Indiana on business, and this is one of the better ones I've encountered. The hotel seems to have been recently updated. The beds are comfortable with good linens, and the bathrooms are large and well laid out. I was in a double, and the only mirror was in the bathroom, which made it difficult for two people sharing a room to get ready at once. The sports bar (I can't remember the name) had decent food, a nice selection of craft beers, and good atmosphere. The casino itself was small and more aged, and only had one bar on each floor. We were there on a Wednesday night and the bar staff was completely overwhelmed. Although it's out of the way, it's in a gorgeous location, and several friends that played golf raved about the course.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We had a comped room, free buffet (which was worth the trip alone), very nice room, extremely friendly service and slots so tight that they were boring. Several hours (and some money) into the evening I had not hit one thing. I don't ever expect to win; however, I do expect that it will occasionally ring up something just to keep me excited. Guess not.

Room Tip: The views are very good, and there seems to be no bad rooms just bad slots.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Pros

-- Clean room, very nice large bathrooms, beautiful hotel lobby, easy parking.

Cons

-- Website was wrong on several points. Website listed hotel and food combo packages that were in fact not available upon calling. Website stated it has an electronic iroulette table (the ONLY game I enjoy playing and the main reason for going) and when we got there it doesn't exist. Asked employees about it and they had no idea what I was even talking about. Website also listed that a deluxe room was at the rate of $99 a night since it was a weeknight. When I called I was told that all the deluxe rooms were booked and had to get a regular room. This was somehow still $99 even though it was not a deluxe room...and I requested a non smoking room and ended up in a smoking room.

--Beds and pillows were not very comfortable. Both of us ended up tossing and turning most of the night.

--Lack of new games, seemed very dated. Even though we had a room at Belterra we made the 30 minute drive to Rising Star Casino to do our gambling in order to get better variety of games and much better drink prices. Both Belterra and Rising Star pale in comparison to our local casinos Indiana Grand and Hollywood Casino, which both have my electronic roulette and much more modern games.

-- Buffet was TERRIBLE! We were intending to go the the sports bar but were told it would be 30 mins to an hour wait (even though there were PLENTY of open tables visible). We were too hungry to wait so we decided to try out the buffet. This buffet looks really nice but everything we tried was cold and incredibly bland. The cheesecake was horrible, no seasoning on the fried chicken, everything just bland bland bland. At the price of $20.99 per person needless to say we were not happy!!

--Customer service is lacking. Nothing major but during our entire stay most employees we encountered seemed very bored and no one really made an effort to make us feel welcome or make our stay more enjoyable.

We drove two hours to stay there and were disappointed completely.

We will definitely not be returning.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christy L
Steve N, Public Relations Manager at Belterra Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Hi Christy, thank you for your recent visit and review. We are sorry to see that your experience wasn't perfect and up to our normal standard of service. We have made the corrections to our website and apologize for the errors. We will also follow up with our hotel team regarding your reservations, though rooms are based on availability and rates are subject to change. We have also passed your comments regarding the casino and Buffet to each department's Director. I would also like to personally follow up with you regarding your experience. At your leisure please Email me directly at snewsome@belterracasino.com. I know we can do a much better job than we showed you on your visit and would love a chance to win your business back. Thank you again for your stay and your review.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Hotel is nice, we had a comp room on 14th floor. They gave us what we had requested, higher floor, non-smoking, close to elevator. They were very accomodating, this was on a Sunday/Monday night. We gambled and got 30 points for a "Free" buffett, food was good. There were 3 couples of us from Louisville and not ONE of us won anything!!! Everyone was talking about how tight the machines were. People we had sat by were complaining. They were putting in alot of new machines which means the higher limits. There were numerous machines that were in need of service and were still not working after 2days we stayed. So if you like to donate....this is your casino. Next time we feel the urge to give away money we will go on up to the Rising Star about 25 minutes past Belterra. They still have the "older" and smaller limits slots and the atmosphere is more people friendly. Oh and by the way, unless you're dieing of thirst they charge you $2.50 for a bottle of water they have with the ice bucket. Use your cardboard coffee cup and use your faucet.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank havelindawilltravel

Hello and thank you for your review, as well as for your recent stay at Belterra. We are very glad to see you enjoyed your experience in the hotel. We will also will pass your comments regarding the casino to our VP of Casino Operations and our Director of Slots. Unfortunately, during your stay we were moving quite a few new games in so that does cause moderate disruptions to available games. We always try to coordinate these moves at low traffic times, but please know this experience was not our normal experience. We would also love to invite you back very soon so if you would please provide your contact information to snewsome@belterracasino.com. Thank you again for your review and your visit!

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Have visited several times and the rooms are really showing age. Non smoking floor smelled heavily of smoke. One of three rooms so much that one of our couples had to change. Second room was marginally better. Room reservations messed up at check in and took 30 minutes to complete. Jeff Ruby Steakhouse was excellent with service and food. Casino seems to have less table games each visit. Possibly Horseshoe Cincinnati taking a toll? I will likely give it another shot but the experience needs to be better as choices are abundant.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DanLisah1998

Hello and thank you for staying at Belterra. We appreciate the time you took to also post a review of your stay. Many of our guests have been pointing out similar topics to the one you raised about the age of the rooms. We are happy to report that we are in the process of upgrading every room with new carpet, artwork, LCD TVs, and furniture. We are also happy to see that you enjoyed Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse. We would love to have you back very soon and if there is anything we can do to help make your planning easier please feel free to reach out to me directly a snewsome@belterracasino.com. Thank you again for staying at Belterra!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Florence
Sunrise Inn
Ramada Sparta/At Speedway
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dry Ridge
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richwood-Cincinnati South
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lawrenceburg

Been to Belterra Casino Resort? Share your experiences!