“Nothing to write home about”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Fort Wayne
Santa Cruz, California
“Nothing to write home about”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I didn't have any problems with this motel, for the cheap price. But I was just passing through and didn't really use it to hang out in. It had a couch next to the bed, which I liked. Ample bathroom counter space, if you need it. I don't think they offered any sort of breakfast, or if they did I didn't take advantage. Priceline didn't indicate any free wi-fi, but they had it. Close to the freeway, so that's convenient, and I don't recall being bothered by any noise. Zero curb appeal.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
ABVIFW, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you so much for your positive feed. Our staff will greatly appreciate hearing that you are happy with our service. Hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Coldwater, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Horrible experience! My husband and I decided to get away for a romantic weekend jacuzzi suite just me and him. Well, it was all good until we pulled the covers back on the bed. Blood stain on the sheets! We were given a 40% discount and had to make our own bed!! After ripping the bloody sheets off the bed! There was mold in the bathroom as well, and less than a half a roll of toilet paper! You could tell the housekeeper didn't pay any attention to her duites! Disgusting! Never again!!

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer C
ABVIFW, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 11 March 2012
Dear Jennifer C.

Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at our hotel on February 17, 2012. I appreciate you taking the time to advise us of your dissatisfaction. There is never an excuse to providing guests with anything less than a perfect experience. After reviewing your review, we have taken the time to let the housekeepers know of your dissatisfaction of your stay. The housekeepers have been retrained to spot inconsistencies in the rooms so this will not happen again in the future. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and have taken the corrective actions to ensure that this incident will not occur again.

Sincerely
Manager

Travellers are raving about these Fort Wayne hotels

Columbus
Reviewed 12 December 2010

I have stayed here three times (mon-fri), traveling for business. Rooms have been a little musty-smelling upon arrival but nothing an air freshener can't handle. Staff is usually courteous and friendly. Bathtubs are not clean (and always have hair on walls), especially the shower curtain (mold and mildew at bottom - GROSS!). However, I can clean tub. My last stay (12/6-10) the TV had no sound on several stations for a couple nights but front desk man did try to fix it. My worst complaint is the room was ice cold when I checked in and took about FIVE HOURS to warm up! Heat should be turned on at least by 2:00 on day of check-in, especially in such cold weather. I tried one week at another motel with comparable amenities but came back to this one. I find this one just fine for this price.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank 51Marcy
ABVIFW, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 23 February 2011
Hello, thank you for your review. Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry to hear that you had unpleasant stay with the rooms several times. It is not standard for rooms to not be clean and having channel stations without volume. Also, we do try turning the heats on early afternoon but sometimes they run out and rooms get rented before we get a chance to turn them on. Sorry it took a long time to heat the room up but will make a conscious effort to keep more rooms heated. Also, we will retrain housekeeping and make sure the shower curtains are changed out also. Sorry for the inconvenience with you stay. I hope we can accommodate your future travels once again.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 2 February 2010

My room was filthy. The beds were made, but hairs were on all the sheets -- in between the sheets. There was fresh urine on the toilet seat, and a dirty ring around the inside of the bowl. Hairs were in the bathtub, on the bathroom floor, and on the hand towel. The floor in front of the sink was sticky. Yuck! I will never stay there again.

• Stayed November 2009
ABVIFW, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 14 April 2010
Hello, my name is Sameer Patel and I am the manager of the property. I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay. I do not like to hear that guests are not satisfied with their stay and I try to make it my effort to contact the guest and make sure that things are fixed accordingly. In regaruds to your room, I am sorry that it was not cleaned properly. I have had other complaints with other rooms in regaurds to how they are not fully cleaned so I have retrained the housekeeping staff and have gotten rid of one of the employees seeing that she still kept rushing through the room when cleaning and not make sure things were proper. I wish you would have let the front desk know of the rooms condition because we would have changed the room for you right away. Again, I am sorry that your stay was not all that well. I want to let you know that we have made some changes with the housekeeping.

Sameer Patel
Chicago suburbs
Reviewed 9 July 2009

The above quote is actually not mine. It's what the man at the nearby pizza parlor told us when we said we were staying there. It has a reputation for having prostitutes and the like.

We knew what he was talking about. When we pulled up, the first thing we saw was a young woman, scantily dressed, walking through the parking lot in a seductive manner. Though I didn't stop to inquire, she definitely appeared to be a prostitute.

As we got out of our car, the 10 or so people leaning over the railing of the upstairs balcony stared at us. We got the clear impression that we were in the wrong neighborhood.

I booked on a third party site, so I had called the hotel in advance to confirm that we had a room with two beds, and I was informed that we did not but that it shouldn't be a problem to change. The woman I spoke with told me that if I didn't hear back, to assume I had a room with two beds. When we checked in, I asked if we had been given a room with two beds. The woman said, "Yes, that will be $10." I told her that I hadn't been told there would be an additional charge and I would rather have a king size bed if that was the case. She told me that she had no more rooms with king size beds and insisted I pay the $10. I refused. I told her that for $10 more, I would have stayed at a nicer hotel. After much arguing, she finally gave in, but customer satisfaction clearly wasn't her priority.

As we walked to our room, we passed some intimidating characters, and I noticed that there were broken items, including a large sheet of glass, laying next to and under the stairwell.

The room was relatively clean, but the unpleasant experiences we had getting to the room made my travel partner feel unsafe. We ended up leaving the hotel and staying elsewhere. We cared more about a decent place to stay than getting our money back.

If the hotel somehow cleaned up its clientele, it could be a decent stay. Until then, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank TS1188
Indiana
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Desk staff was very curtious, Room was very large, clean, neat, and tidy. Good Price for Our stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Toledo,OH
Reviewed 18 January 2009

I was pleasantly surprised that I got a room with exactly what I was promised and a comfortable bed. This motel has been recently renovated and is nicer than I expected. The staff was polite and efficient. I received more than my money's worth twice, and now I'm booking a January stay.
My only request would be to replace the packaged cookies (which I don't eat) with bagels or even donuts.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business