“Not bad, usually a pleasant stay.”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #38 of 44 Hotels in Fort Wayne
Reviewed 12 December 2010

I have stayed here three times (mon-fri), traveling for business. Rooms have been a little musty-smelling upon arrival but nothing an air freshener can't handle. Staff is usually courteous and friendly. Bathtubs are not clean (and always have hair on walls), especially the shower curtain (mold and mildew at bottom - GROSS!). However, I can clean tub. My last stay (12/6-10) the TV had no sound on several stations for a couple nights but front desk man did try to fix it. My worst complaint is the room was ice cold when I checked in and took about FIVE HOURS to warm up! Heat should be turned on at least by 2:00 on day of check-in, especially in such cold weather. I tried one week at another motel with comparable amenities but came back to this one. I find this one just fine for this price.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank 51Marcy
ABVIFW, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2011

Hello, thank you for your review. Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry to hear that you had unpleasant stay with the rooms several times. It is not standard for rooms to not be clean and having channel stations without volume. Also, we do try turning the heats on early afternoon but sometimes they run out and rooms get rented before we get a chance to turn them on. Sorry it took a long time to heat the room up but will make a conscious effort to keep more rooms heated. Also, we will retrain housekeeping and make sure the shower curtains are changed out also. Sorry for the inconvenience with you stay. I hope we can accommodate your future travels once again.

Reviewed 2 February 2010

My room was filthy. The beds were made, but hairs were on all the sheets -- in between the sheets. There was fresh urine on the toilet seat, and a dirty ring around the inside of the bowl. Hairs were in the bathtub, on the bathroom floor, and on the hand towel. The floor in front of the sink was sticky. Yuck! I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2009
ABVIFW, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2010

Hello, my name is Sameer Patel and I am the manager of the property. I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay. I do not like to hear that guests are not satisfied with their stay and I try to make it my effort to contact the guest and make sure that things are fixed accordingly. In regaruds to your room, I am sorry that it was not cleaned properly. I have had other complaints with other rooms in regaurds to how they are not fully cleaned so I have retrained the housekeeping staff and have gotten rid of one of the employees seeing that she still kept rushing through the room when cleaning and not make sure things were proper. I wish you would have let the front desk know of the rooms condition because we would have changed the room for you right away. Again, I am sorry that your stay was not all that well. I want to let you know that we have made some changes with the housekeeping.

Sameer Patel

Reviewed 9 July 2009

The above quote is actually not mine. It's what the man at the nearby pizza parlor told us when we said we were staying there. It has a reputation for having prostitutes and the like.

We knew what he was talking about. When we pulled up, the first thing we saw was a young woman, scantily dressed, walking through the parking lot in a seductive manner. Though I didn't stop to inquire, she definitely appeared to be a prostitute.

As we got out of our car, the 10 or so people leaning over the railing of the upstairs balcony stared at us. We got the clear impression that we were in the wrong neighborhood.

I booked on a third party site, so I had called the hotel in advance to confirm that we had a room with two beds, and I was informed that we did not but that it shouldn't be a problem to change. The woman I spoke with told me that if I didn't hear back, to assume I had a room with two beds. When we checked in, I asked if we had been given a room with two beds. The woman said, "Yes, that will be $10." I told her that I hadn't been told there would be an additional charge and I would rather have a king size bed if that was the case. She told me that she had no more rooms with king size beds and insisted I pay the $10. I refused. I told her that for $10 more, I would have stayed at a nicer hotel. After much arguing, she finally gave in, but customer satisfaction clearly wasn't her priority.

As we walked to our room, we passed some intimidating characters, and I noticed that there were broken items, including a large sheet of glass, laying next to and under the stairwell.

The room was relatively clean, but the unpleasant experiences we had getting to the room made my travel partner feel unsafe. We ended up leaving the hotel and staying elsewhere. We cared more about a decent place to stay than getting our money back.

If the hotel somehow cleaned up its clientele, it could be a decent stay. Until then, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank TS1188
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Desk staff was very curtious, Room was very large, clean, neat, and tidy. Good Price for Our stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2009

I was pleasantly surprised that I got a room with exactly what I was promised and a comfortable bed. This motel has been recently renovated and is nicer than I expected. The staff was polite and efficient. I received more than my money's worth twice, and now I'm booking a January stay.
My only request would be to replace the packaged cookies (which I don't eat) with bagels or even donuts.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 December 2007

My and my wife stopped in here for the night on 12/08/07 we choose this place because of the wireless internet i need it for work.I check in a woman checking out says that the internet worked great for her.I get a room i get on the internet ,but can not open anything up.After talking with the i assume owner he gets very upset tells me i have internet and that i am tring to scam him out of money.Not sure how he came to that when all i did was ask for a room closer to the router or office.I told me i am the only one to ever have a problem with the internet..Which i know now is a fat lie...he finally gives another room up only to still have no internet.I did find if i stood in the doorway with the door open i could get on the net.On top of that the rooms were filthy and smelly one room had a spoon with what i think was peanut butter on it behind the night stand..Stay away from this filth hole.I think the homeless shelter is cleaner

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank onehungtolow4u
Reviewed 3 December 2006

We had seen this property on the Internet, and it seemed like an attractive place, particularly since it offered free wireless internet and continental breakfast. We have now learened that there is a wide range of variation in these two features.

The internet was particularly important during our trip, as it was necessary for us to stay in touch with our business while we were out of the country.

Upon arrival, the receptionist acknowledged the rate we had seen and so we checked in. She printed out a username and password for the network and told us that breakfast -- coffee and packaged cookies -- would be available the next morning.

Although we were able to connect to the hotel's network, we could not open any web pages. The best the receptionist could tell us was to go to the BVI website and log in -- which we were more than eager to do, but could not. She eventually had the owner's college-student son call us back, but we pretty much got the same advice. He said he would get hold of his friend, who had set up the network, and get back to us. We heard nothing further. We were unable to use the internet during our stay.

The room itself was in poor condition. There was a half-full bottle of soda left in the fridge from other guests. No coffee maker. The bathroom was not particularly clean -- hairs in the bathtub and on the floor. The toilet would not flush at first -- had to open the tank and adjust a few things to get the water flowing.

The sink was cracked and rusty in places. The bed was as hard as a rock.

We would not recommend this hotel, and will most certainly never stay there again if we are in Fort Wayne.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank nedertouristen