“Lots of changes for the better”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fort Wayne
Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in Fort Wayne
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I have to admit to a bias against Holiday Inn as that was my family's hotel of choice when I was growing up. The chain is now considerably more upscale in the common areas, which mostly translates to the rooms (although cheap looking dresser). The staff are freindly, although clearly lean. Overall, I liked it well enough to enroll in their loyalty program before leaving.

Room Tip: elevator near corner room didn't chime, so no noise
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank lemon.basil

Reviewed 26 August 2012

My husband was travelling for business and the family tagged along for one last summer fling before school
We called specifically to see if the hot tub was working because other times we'd booked hotels and upon arrival found the hot tub wasn't working. When we checked in, we made it clear we were going straight to the hot tub. About 45 min later, someone finally came in to check the chlorine levels and felt the water, which was at 83 degrees. We assumed they turned up the heat, so we dried off and went out to dinner. Upon our return 2 hours later, the hot tub was still only low 80s. The customer service staff answered our questions with minimal details and didn't go out of their way to be kind or helpful, even though we told them that we were travelling here for the first time. They didn't offer us any additional details, it was like pulling teeth to get the info we were after. The next morning, I had to ask that the hot tub be turned up, with the response that it would take 2 hours to get it up to temperature. The kids and I ended up sitting in the room watching a movie until it was ready.
The hotel also told us that because we were Priority Club members we could have our room held for a second night without them autnorizing our card until we were sure we were staying, but our bank alerted us to the second authorization in the middle of the night. We called the front desk who said they would do their best to reverse the authorization and call us back if they could not, but they never called back and upon our checkout, the staff informed us that it was up to us to call our bank and ask them to drop the authorization. They said the bank had to call them to verify that it was not being finalized.
We stayed in Rm 412 and the door was difficult to latch. It stuck a bit when it closed and twice we returned to our room to find it not closed all the way. This gave us an uneasy feeling about safety.
Breakfast was Ok, there was no bacon and the sausage could have used a couple of more minutes on the griddle.
We had a Jr Exec Suite. The pullout couch linen ensemble only consisted of a comforter and 2 pillows. Our son had to go to the front desk to ask for the pillowcases and sheets.
The bed was like sleeping on plywood with a sheet over it.
I would try one of the other Holiday Inn's in the Ft. Wayne area if I were to go there again.

Room Tip: Go to one of the other holiday inns in the area to get good service along with your room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MamaHatt
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We booked our room online and have never been here before but after our first stay at a HIE in Tennessee I wanted to see if other hotels of this type were equally as good. This one is definitely as good.
I can't say enough for the service we have gotten from the staff. Every request or concern was taken care of right away. Mostly by the young man at the front desk. He was on it right away. He should be commended and given a raise for he is a real asset to this hotel.
The breakfast selection in pretty typical with eggs, bacon or sausage, toast, coffee and the like but it is included in the price and if you try you can put together a pretty good meal.
Pool was a little small but adequate with a separate hot or kiddy pool on the side. Housekeeping very friendly and helpful. One elevator, plenty of parking and the only thing that could be improved upon is an automatic door at the entrance to the hotel. Having to hold the door open while pushing or pulling carts or luggage is a little troublesome and most people handle it well but it would be a nice improvement.
Overall A++ and I would use this place again if I ever needed to stay in Fort Wayne again.

Room Tip: Executive double is twice normal size of standard room or better. We loved it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank calloused_traveler
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Stayed here 6/17/12. Receptionist Sarah was friendly and helpful. Enjoyed talking with her. Room was very clean. Beds comfy, and it was very quiet. Breakfast good and since we stay at Holiday Inn Expresses often, it was a typical Breakfast which is fine with us. (sugar-free cold cereal such as cheerios should always be available for diabetics.) Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Spent 5 nights there
Nice breakfast, lovely lady in the dining room keeping it very tidy.
Allow luandy services and the use of a gym in the neighboring staybridge inn

Just cross the road from Lutheran hospital which is we're I had to go to
Overall nice clean an comfy especially when on budget business trips

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I enjoy staying an Holiday Inn Expresses because they are comfortable (best beds by far), clean, and the breakfast is decent (try the pancake maker). This one was no exception. We needed a place for one night, arrived without a reservation, and were accommodated nicely. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms further away from the elevator, and although this room was just off the elevator...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2012

This may be one of the worst Express I have stayed at in a long time, and when I stayed in Fort Wayne last time I was there I stayed at the Holiday Inn on Coliseum Drive and I thought that Hotel was just awful I believe I posted a review in reference to that property back in 2009; so I choose to stay at the Express this time. First let’s start with my phone in the room. It didn’t work so I went do to the front desk and they said they would have someone fix it. I get back to my room on Tuesday and it still wasn’t working, so I once again went to the front desk and told them again it was not working. I asked to have them look at it again and they said they would handle it on Wednesday when I was out of the room working. Of course when I got back to the room it was still not working, and I just gave up and it did NOT work on Thursday or Friday. I told the staff on 2 different occasions and nothing was fixed. Secondly, let’s turn to the TV at the hotel. They do not even have all the local channels. They have no FOX or CW on their cable, and then on Wednesday they had no CBS. This caused me to miss many shows on the FOX network while I was there. And then on Wednesday there was no CBS so I missed Survivor, which is my favorite show. I even went to dinner early so I could be back in time to watch the show. You might not think this is a huge deal, but I am a Platinum Member and have been for 8 consecutive years and I travel extensively; so when I get back to the room from long day of dealing with truck drivers, Department of Transportation people, and hazardous materials shipments unwinding in the room and watching a little TV is what I like to do. How can you even offer TV without local channels? It is ridiculous that the Express had HGTV but no local FOX, CW, or intermittent CBS! They kicker to this is that on Tuesday morning I advise the manager on duty, a female unfortunately I did not get her name, but I advised her there was no FOX on the TV. I am fairly technically savvy and advise her that they might just have the wrong feed going to the rooms. Her response to me was “Oh Really? I will look into it immediately”. So if figured something would get done. Upon my arrival back to the room it was not corrected, so on my way to dinner my colleague and I stopped on the front desk and the two people at the desk tell me “yeah we know it’s been a problem for a while now. That is the biggest complaint we get that we don’t even have FOX on our TV and also our front doors aren’t automatic” they said laughing. So what I get from this is the manager on duty that morning bold face lied to me or spun it that she was “totally unaware” of this issue. I found that very rude and condescending to someone that travels and stays at Holiday Inns 20-25 weeks a year!!! To continue on the “lies” I was told is that there was to be a managers reception with some free drinks and stuff on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. It even says they do on the web-site! I like this; as a lot of your properties have them. Would you like to know how many they had one while I was there? ZERO! Tuesday I was told we are too busy today. Wednesday, “we forgot to get the beer but we will make sure we have it set up for Thursday”. So on Thursday…..Nothing!!! I didn’t even bother asking. I find this very unacceptable, I mean I stayed at hotel in Vineland New Jersey the week before and paid HALF the price I paid at the Fort Wayne location and they had one and couldn’t have been nicer. The room was average at best and I can say with a fact they didn’t change the sheets on my bed on any day I was there even after I put the little card/plastic thing on the bed that I says wanted them changed after my second night. I can confirm this I have had issue with this same thing in the past:. I take a pen, and put a very small line (less than an inch just a little mark, it would wash out) on the sheets by the head of the bed. When I came back to the room the mark was still there confirming that the sheets were not changed as I requested, and on top of that they missed one of my trash cans. Did they do anything but make the bad and replace the 2 towels I used? This was one of my most un-enjoyable stays in some time!

Room Tip: Pay the extra and Stay at the Staybridge Next Door!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Duck0830
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fort Wayne, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Dear Duck0830,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further. I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Regards,