“I love it here!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Franklin
Ashley-Drake Historic Inn and Gardens
Ranked #2 of 4 Franklin B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Work brings me to Johnson county for a couple days a week. I've been staying at the Ashley-Drake for a month now. Kim and her family are so good to me. I feel like an honored guest. Each evening I turn in my menu for breakfast: what I want, when I want it. It is a lovely, comfortable place. Every detail is so well thought out, even the smell of the sheets, and waking up to coffee brewing. Some evenings I just sit on the porch swing. Others I may take a walk on the Greenway or head downtown. Tonight I sat in the garden in back. Simply lovely.

Room Tip: I've stayed in 2 different rooms. Both very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 May 2013

Dear B & B people,

My wife and I just returned from a very peaceful and restful stay at the Ashely-Drake in Franklin, IN. It was a celebration of finishing up our respective school years. Kim and family made us feel more than welcomed and at rest the entire time. If you enjoy a break from the ordinary, step back in time as you will be amazed at how this Inn allows you to find memories of the past and create new ones for the future. Highly recommended to those travelers that simply want to get away, have peace and quiet in their lives, and enjoy the genuine hospitality and fine breakfast as provided by these wonderful Inn keepers.

Respectfully,
R & R

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Liberty Room. Took me back to a simpler time.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Found the Ashley Drake on the way to Florida from Michigan. Liked it so much, we planned our trip back home to include a return visit. Beautifully restored home with incredible detail. Breakfast made to order. Very clean and welcoming. Will stay again. Kim the innkeeper is accommodating and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I purchased a gift certificate for a one-night stay here for my elderly grandparents. Having recently moved to Franklin, I wanted them to be able to come visit for the weekend (they live about 3 hours north) and have a comfortable stay without me having to rush out and buy guestroom furniture for my house. Kim (Owner/Innkeeper) was super helpful and beyond accommodating throughout the entire experience. This was my grandparents' first experience at a bed and breakfast, and they were, to put it mildly, a little skeptical ("Wait, so we actually stay in a room in someone's house?!"). However, as soon as they met Kim and toured the Inn, they were put completely at ease. She met us at the door, helped us in with their things, and proceeded to make everyone feel truly at home.

She and her family (Ashley and Drake are the middle names of the couple's two children) restored a beautiful historic home across from the Franklin College campus, and seem to have found the perfect balance between incorporating modern amenities and preserving historic charm and character. While my grandparents stayed in the first-floor "Liberty Room," Kim showed us the other rooms, as well, each with its own unique theme. All of the rooms were meticulously kept (this coming from a total clean freak) and spotlessly clean. The common rooms showcased lots of antiques, as well as books and informational materials about the history of the area, and of the house.

My grandparents said they had a full, peaceful night's rest, and were absolutely blown away by what awaited them the next morning! The breakfast menu (yes, there is literally an entire menu) is extensive, with options ranging from healthy to hearty, sweet to savory, and everything in between. Kim insisted that both my sister and I come back to the Inn the next morning to join my grandparents for breakfast. I couldn't believe the quality and of the breakfast, with everything being made fresh and from scratch. The whole family helped to serve us, and we finished with happy, full bellies and even with several to-go boxes!

Speaking with my grandparents a week or so after their stay, I let them know I wanted to leave a review for the Ashley-Drake Historic Inn & Garden, and asked them if they wanted me to say anything in particular. They said that even though they weren't staying at my house, they felt as if they were still staying with family at the Ashley-Drake. They are already planning a return visit, which is huge considering their initial fears about B&B's! My only regret is that the gardens were still frozen over from the winter, but I'm planning to send more family here over the summer and can't wait to see it all in bloom.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2012

This is our favorite place to stay whenever we visit Franklin, Indiana. We have been staying at this bed and breakfast for at least 8 years, 2 or 3 times per year. It'a beautiful old home that has been painstakingly restored with antique furniture and antique accessories. The mattress is so comfortable we are going to buy one just like it!

Along with the living room, there are two extra sitting rooms with a wide choice of movies to watch and magazines to read. There is plenty of room for people to spread out in the house.

During the summer, there are little pockets of gardens to wander thru, with fountains and lots of garden art.

We especially love the “made to order” breakfasts. We fill out your menu the night before, and everything is ready the next morning at whatever time we choose.

The best part is the hospitality, Kim and her family make everyone feel comfortable and welcome. It’s very obvious that Kim is dedicated to making sure everything is just right. She has a very warm and generous personality and makes everyone feel extra special. She also knows the area very well and can recommend places to go and things to do.

Room Tip: We like the Heritage and Garden Rooms the best.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janetflynch
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I heartily recommend the Ashley-Drake Inn in Franklin, IN to anyone in or near the area. You cannot find a friendlier or more conscientious innkeeper than Kim -- and the breakfast is as sumptuous and delicious as any I've ever experienced at B&B. Reasonably priced yet first rate in every respect.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Bruce M
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We recently spent two nights at the Ashley-Drake and were delighted. The Ashley-Drake is a historic building. "Historic" means interesting architecture. It also means old, with the ordinary discomforts of old age, such as dim lights in the bedrooms. It is located across the street from Franklin College (pretty campus) and within easy walking distance of the center of town. The owners, Kim and Craig Smith, were very helpful and extremely pleasant, and we felt very much at home. Delicious full breakfasts were included with a large choice of foods. We would not think of staying anywhere else in or near Franklin.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnnLarry

Been to Ashley-Drake Historic Inn and Gardens? Share your experiences!