“Substandard Water Park”

Big Splash Adventure Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in French Lick
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Not sure where to start... First off I would not recommend this park/resort to other families. We arrived at the park around 1pm. Room check-in isn't allowed until 4pm, which seems a little excessive to me, but we tolerated. Then, their system was down across the whole park. Credit cards were not accepted anywhere, and since check-in was not allowed until 4pm, you can imagine the backlog in the lobby. The water park itself has two tube slides and two body slides, a lazy river, small pool, a water playground, and hot tub. The slides were leaky, the lazy river was very shallow and small, and the hot tub is for adults only, there is no hot tub option for the kids at all. Overall this is a pretty small park that could be easily experienced in half a day. The wifi service at the park/hotel is essentially non-existent. When we called the front desk, they told us to just keep trying to get on, maybe you will get lucky! I can only imagine how it works during the high season! Caveat emptor definitely applies at this park. One could simply visit the water park and stay at the larger French Lick resort/casino just down the road, if you want to pay an arm and a leg at a non-family friendly resort. I would recommend families to avoid this area altogether. There is nothing really worth visiting here; it feels as if the economic development group tried to turn this region into a resort area but failed on a number of levels. It would be worth spending the extra money to go to Great Wolf Lodge or perhaps Holiday World in the warm months.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank geoscuba
BSA_Manager, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. I apologize that you experienced our system going down. Yes, the system was down for approximately 3 hours but we were able to get it back up and running as soon as possible. We did the best we could with what was available. Unfortunately these days we are dependant on computers. When systems fail we have to do our best, which means only one person can check people into rooms at a time to avoid checking two people into the same room at once. Again, we apologize for this unfortunate situation. In terms of a limited number of things to do in the area there is indoor karting at French Lick West Baden Indoor Karting, lazer tag and miniature golf at Shotz, go ziplining at French Lick Ziplines, take a horseback ride at Wilstem Ranch, or take a train ride at the Indiana Railway Museum. There are several different family friendly activities in the area. Again we apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. A great customer experience is our utmost goal!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Only good thing is the splash park .
The rooms are terrible with beds that are not good quality and then you can see bugs in the room . i saw multiple lady bugs and black ants coming from the area where the AC is on the window .
they are kind of expensive , paid almost 300$ for one room for 2 adults and 4 kids ( 6,5,2,1 ages ) . They would not let me get smaller room ,saying that it was illegal per Indiana law

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ubaidullah S

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the water park. Per our firecode we do not allow more than 1 additional occupant over the standard occupancy. This is also the time of year when ladybugs can be almost impossible to control. We assure you that we use a pest control company to control and pest issues. We do hope that you will consider our facility again in the future!

Reviewed 3 April 2014

We live two hours from French Lick and visited BSA in January 2012 and were very pleasantly surprised. I was not expecting the hot breakfast and left with nothing but great memories and intentions to return several times a year.

Time flies and we just returned 3/27-3/28/2014 with our now 2 &4 year old boys.

Pro: We arrived at 12:30pm and were able to check into our spacious, clean room and begin using the waterpark right away. We were in the water by 1pm and stayed until between 4 & 4:30pm. Our kids LOVED the slides they were tall enough for as well as the Lost River.

Con: My husband started coughing after we'd been there for about an hour and said he must have swallowed some water. Continued coughing until we left to take a break in the room at 4:30pm.

Con: After reading reviews online about the restaurant and realizing it was buffet-only, we decided to grab McDonald's and bring it back to the room.

Con: We were back in the water park by 6pm and my husband immediately started coughing again. By 8pm he had to leave because he felt that his throat was closing up and he was gagging while coughing. He threw up from coughing when he got back to the room. No sooner than he left, I started coughing and felt my chest tightening up. Sometime between 8 & 8:30pm I couldn't take it anymore and decided it was time to go. I noticed 3 other people coughing (could have been coincidence...or not), including my oldest son.

Pro: The beds were very comfortable. Our room was quiet. We all slept very well.

Con: Both of my sons' wristbands fell off 3 times. Mine fell off twice and my husband's fell off once. We had to keep going back to the front desk to have them replaced. Seemed to be a common problem. Not a huge deal, but an annoying inconvenience.

Con: My husband and I were dreading going back to the water park again on Friday morning after all the trouble we had Thursday night.

Con: The breakfast was terrible. Tasteless. The biscuits were hard. The bacon was so greasy I couldn't eat it. The oatmeal looked like slop. Not at all what I remembered. Only good thing there was french toast sticks, which you could buy frozen at any grocery. Yuck. They did have milk and orange juice, which was nice, but I couldn't help feeling guilty that they brough each of my sons a 12 or 16 oz cup FULL of milk and each of my kids drank maybe 4-6 oz. Lots of waste. They should have smaller cups for young children.

Pro: While we coughed again once we entered the waterpark, it never got as severe as it did the night before.

Con: This place was SO crowded the two days we were there, and we expected that with spring break, but it got to the point that the line for the slides extended all the way to the lazy river entrance and there were no tubes left for people wanting to use the lazy river, which was probably my kids' favorite feature. The lifeguard on the little kids' slides were not paying attention. Several kids would go at once or shortly after one another and collide into each other at the bottom of the slide. Also, lots of kids were cutting in line. I stood with my kids in line and went down the slides after them so I witnessed LOTS of this. I felt terrible asking children to go to the back of the line - where were the parents and/or employees - this sure was not my job.

Con: I feel bad for the lifeguards/other employees that sit in that room 8+ hrs a day, it can't be good for their lungs. We got home late Friday afternoon and coughed into Sunday morning with that tightness in our chests. I 100% this is a result of swimming at Big Splash for a total of 8-9 hours over the course of two days. Not worth my $200.

Neither pro nor con: I've seen a lot of complaints about the customer service; it was okay. Not above and beyond but not terrible. No one was rude to us. It seemed like a bunch of high school kids with no senior management supervision, but with that being said, we didn't have any problems.

I don't think we will be back for some time due to the breathing problems, unless it is in the summer.

1  Thank Candice M

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. I'm so sorry to hear about breathing issues you incurred! Pools are automatically fed chemicals by a Chemtrol system and levels are manually checked by staff more than the Dept. of Health require. We send samples of our water to the water company weekly and those results are reported to the State Health Dept. We work closely with them to ensure our water quality meets all state guidelines. The Dept. of Health mandates we keep our pools between 1.0 and 7.0 parts per million with 2.0 being minimum sanitation. We strive to keep our chlorine levels regulated between 2.0 and 3.0 parts per million. The spa can have a maximum of 10.0 parts per million. I can assure you our water does meet this criteria. Unfortunately I cannot explain why you may have incurred these issues. We do hope that you will consider our facility again in the future and it seems like you have had a great prior experience!

Reviewed 1 April 2014

My sister and I took my 3&6 year old grandkids, they had a blast! We had Groupon day passes.
a LOT of people, but still fun. Lost several tokens in the gameroom, very outdated. On the way home my Granddaughter being to vomit, not sure if it was the food she ate before we left or the water she played in. We pulled to the side of the road and a kind police officer stopped to assist us. She has allergies and the chemicals are strong smelling.

1  Thank Debra W

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. We are so sorry to hear that your granddaughter got sick on the way home. Our pools are automatically fed chemicals by a Chemtrol system and levels are manually checked by staff more than the Dept. of Health require. We send samples of our water to the water company weekly and those results are reported to the State Health Dept. We work closely with them to ensure our water quality meets all state guidelines. The Dept. of Health mandates we keep our pools between 1.0 and 7.0 parts per million with 2.0 being minimum sanitation. We strive to keep our chlorine levels regulated between 2.0 and 3.0 parts per million. The spa can have a maximum of 10.0 parts per million. I can assure you our water does meet this criteria. Again we thank you for your review and I do hope that your granddaughter is feeling better!

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Just came from another great trip to French Lick. We paid a bit more than normal since it is during spring break but it was all worth it. We went along with friends this time and when I booked our room a few weeks ago I asked them if they could be close or adjoining even tho I know they can't guarantee this. When we arrived around 1pm on 3-22-14 there were hardly any parking places so I was a bit worried as to what this stay would be like. I had my husband drop me off at the door since I was sure there would be a long line to check in. There was not! It was a very fast process and our rooms had been marked "do not move" and were right next door to each other! We were able to check in early like normal! Rooms were clean like usual. This may have been the busiest the waterpark ever was for us and the lines were long for the water slides but went pretty fast. The arcade area is still a bit busted with alot of the games broke but that is not why we visit. We had a group of 9 and when we went to get dinner and bring it back I was hoping we could go to the upper deck to eat since there isn't really room to spread out to eat in the room but they said due to a cross contamination risk we couldn't but we made due. The breakfast buffet was very good like always. It consisted of the normal, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal, cold cereal, scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes & french toast sticks. I had warned our friends that it was a noisy place but even with the crowd this was the quietest visit ever! We were on the 4th floor right across from the elevators too! A BIG shout out to housekeeping who turned in out PS Vita (a hand held gaming device). We had checked out, swam for a couple hours, went to eat and play laser tag and putt putt and realized we left it. Went back up to the hotel hours later and the front desk had it that some nice, honest person had turned in. Thank you SO MUCH whoever you are. THANK YOU for your honesty! We will def be back later this year!!

Room Tip: I think the higher the floor the quieter the room!

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review! We are so glad that you had a great stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Managment

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I was looking for a close but fun place to go during my daughter's spring break. We used a Groupon. Arrived at 2pm and our rooms were available right away. Our rooms was clean and quiet during the night. The pool area was not crowded there were limited lounge chair. They had regular chairs lined up around the perimeter of the pool. Complimentary breakfast was horrible..No taste and cold. Tried their dinner but had to wait about thirty minutes for food but the restaurant wasn't crowded. My daughter had fun. The arcade on our second day there had out of order signs on most of the activities plus one of the machines just gave tickets without playing.
Overall, it was a pleasant stay but not sure if I would return.

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. We are glad to hear you had a pleasant stay. We do hope that you will consider our facility again in the future and we will pass on your comments to the appropriate departments.

Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

I booked a room via Big Splash's website. There is no special provision given for guests versus the general population that comes in for Day Passes to the waterpark. If that's the case, why fork over up to $300 a night to stay there?? You have to hope you find a place to park and expect to stand in lengthy lines just to check in. The website said you can arrive early get your waterpark wristbands and check into your room at 4pm. We didn't expect to stand in a line for up to 45 minutes to do so. There was an error with my reservation so we stayed at Wilstem Ranch. Pretty glad we did, it was more bang for my buck plus we received half off on Day Passes.

Once we got to the waterpark it was over crowded. People literally everywhere so don't expect to find somewhere to put your towel or have a seat.

Overall, it wasn't worth the hype and we won't be returning.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank DimplesfromIndy
BSA_Manager, Manager at Big Splash Adventure Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,
Thank you for your recent review. We apologize that you had issues with your reservation. We are glad to hear that we were able to resolve it for you and have you stay at our sister property. March is a very busy time of year. We do hope that you will consider visiting us in the future maybe during a less busy time of year!

Also consider these accommodations in or near French Lick
Holiday Inn Express Bedford
French Lick Springs Hotel
French Lick Springs Hotel
#2 of 5 in French Lick

Been to Big Splash Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!