“Great time for family”

French Lick Springs Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in French Lick
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Was really pleasantly surprised by the amount to do here. The staff was very helpful. There was some degree of stepping back in time with the decor and live music. Was a nice touch. There was stuff for kids to do. There was 2 pools, decent size. They have a small family friendly bowling alley. The arcade was fairly small. A number of different restaurants. Also a number of restaurants in a very short walking distance. I was slightly less impressed by the casino. Was nice but I thought the winnings were in general lower compared to other places I've been. I've also stayed at West Baden. Both are amazingly beautiful hotels. For a romantic getaway I'd choose West Baden. On the other hand if traveling with more family I'd pick French Lick Resort. Both are great places that I'd stay at again.

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Sheryl Z
There are newer reviews for French Lick Springs Hotel

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We visited French Lick for the first time this past weekend with a group of 20 people. I feel like their website is misleading as the dome you see as you open the site is NOT French Lick Resort, it's their sister resort - West Badin. We did visit West Badin and had dinner out in the main area. The appetizers were alright, but I couldn't even eat one bite of my soup. The other places at the French Lick resort were below average. All of the appetizers tasted like stale/frozen apps and the selection of main courses were poor - mainly cold cuts and bland options. When you go on a trip you look forward to a good dining experience, so we were very disappointed, granted we did not go to the steak houses because of the large group we had.

The outside pool area is too small for the amount of people trying to enjoy it - that leaving the serve staff way understaffed. My husband waited 30 mins for a beer and some of our friends were ignored when they tried to order anything.

The casino is a very basic SMOKING casino with a tiny corner of non-smoking. Well once the non-smoking area finally opened it was so packed you couldn't sit at a table. You would think they would see the demand for more non-smoking tables....

We aren't sure we will return which is sad because it has so much potential.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ice machines (our friends asked to move because of it),
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank WeimyLVR
Diane T, Guest Relations Manager at French Lick Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for your candid review of the hotel. We are sorry to hear that you were far from impressed with the value and quality of our food venues. We take all constructive critism seriously and use this as a tool to better our food selections and services.

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It helps us to pinpoint areas where we can make improvements.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We went to French Lick resort to attend the Hudson Essex Terraplane auto club nationals. I had never really heard of the resort and did not know what to expect. We found the property clean and well maintained. The resort is very old but has been updated well without losing all the 1900 era look. Our room was smaller, clean with a good size bathroom. The staff helped us many times in getting us to and from the show grounds, hotel and meeting areas. There is a small casino on grounds, nice looking...but I don't gamble really so all I can say. Overall we were more than pleased, had a great time and would go back if we needed to. Town is nice too.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DaveVWV
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We arrived at this hotel after a business trip in Indianapolis at the fantastic JW Marriott. The outside of the hotel is sad and tired. The hotel is very historic with an opulent lobby but that is where the wow factor ends. As we walked throughout the hotel we were so disappointed to find everything very old and outdated. The pool was extremely small for the enormous size of the hotel and it was completely overrun with kids. The entire hotel smells musty and the carpets are dirty and stained. The restaurants are mediocre at best with the exception of the steakhouse. On a positive note, the staff was very helpful and friendly and the casino was a pleasant surprise.

We would not return

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Joni K
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We came to stay here with a group for a meeting. It is very beautiful! There are gold and mural pictures on the ceilings of the lobby when you first walk in and marble floors and railings. Our room was clean and very comfortable. We did have Wifi but I did have trouble picking it up on the front porch. There are so many things there to do, pools both inside and out,and a hot tub, outside bar and swim shop, spa, shops, Starbucks, pizza place beautiful gardens and grounds and the list goes on. My favorite thing was the front porch! The entire porch has cushioned chairs and also rocking chairs to relax on and enjoy yourself. The staff is great and always ready to help. We have stayed here before and had just as good a time and experience .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cathy K
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We just returned from two days at French Lick celebrating my parents' 65th wedding anniversary. Everyone was wonderful! They are 82 & 86 years old, and they were treated like royalty! I called ahead and ordered flowers for their room, and the flowers are beautiful! Thank you to the concierge for their help. I would like to thank the bellman/vallet for helping us with transportation to and from the casino. My parents could not climb the stairs to the shuttle, but the young men were always willing to help us out with a golf cart! And, the 1875 Restaurant and our waitress, Mimi, made their anniversary dinner and evening very special! This morning, they were enjoying coffee at The Mercantile Company before we left, and Mr. Vezzoso, Vice-President, happened by. He took time to talk to my parents and make sure that they were satisfied with their experience at French Lick. It's been years since they've traveled or stayed overnight anywhere, and they were very impressed that he would take time to visit with them.
My parents, my brother and his wife, and my husband and I all enjoyed our time at French Lick. The accommodations were wonderful, the casino was fun (even though we didn't win), and the food was excellent. They had never been to French Lick before, but my parents plan to spend their 70th anniversary there, too! I pray that they will!
Again, thank you so much for a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: We had three different types of rooms, and they were all very nice!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Sharon L
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel was beautiful. Staff was friendly. Room was clean. Would've liked to not hear the teenagers next door being overly loud at 11 pm and 6:30 am. Store staff was courteous and helpful. We were just excited for our one night getaway as mommys.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
#4 of 5 in French Lick
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jasper
SureStay Plus By Best Western, Jasper
Holiday Inn Express Bedford

Been to French Lick Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!