“My company offsite at this facitlity ROCKED”

French Lick Springs Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in French Lick
Reviewed 24 September 2009

My company recently took our management team to this location for a team buliding offsite and we were blown away. This was a great trip that really pulled our team together; it create great synergy within our team. We actually saw quality and productivity improvements go up as a result of this event. We generated a plethora of cost savings for the site. French Lick made the difference!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,239)

Reviewed 26 August 2009

I stayed for two nights in August. I was glad to see that they are no longer charging the "resort fee". I used coupons for the room rates, which is good because they were $180 on week nights without discount. I love the history of the town and hotel and I think they could really make this great, they just have awhile to go. The rooms are very nice with the most comfortable beds EVER!!! The rooms are small but they do offer many suites that are much bigger. This was my third time staying and my complaints are still the same the prices and lack of food options. The buffet is expensive for what it is; Golden Coral has double the selection for half the price. We had dinner at Diamond Jims which is in the casino and it always deliver, good food reasonable price. We did go to the pool one day, which is small and crowded, I got a drink which came out of a machine for $7.00, and needless to say I only got one. If you are staying for more than two nights I would recommend bringing snacks and maybe a few sandwiches in a cooler. The town is within walking distance, but it just doesn't have anything. We went to the winery which is fabulous and now has a restaurant, we did not eat there but the food looked AMAZING, the prices were right too. The pizza near the arcade was very good also. All in all it is fun and a nice get away. The rooms do have shampoo, lotion, and conditoner. Many have stated that there was a lack of a hairdryer, ours next to our TV with the Iron and extra pillows.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank aconner08
Reviewed 6 August 2009

I've stayed at French Lick Springs Hotel on and off for 40 years but this was the first time to stay at West Baden. Truly gorgeous and if you are a history buff it's like living it when you sit on the veranda.

Pros/cons vs staying at the sister hotel...West Baden caters to an older quieter crowd and we did not see as many families, however you can use their pool but they can't use the one at West Baden. The hotel room and bathrooms were 2-3x the size of the French LIck resort, well appointed and much more attention to detail to period detail. We are usually fairly cramped in at French Lick, but not here and it rivaled a 5 star NYC hotel I've stayed at.

We were last there 2 years ago and they have since added a kids program which was nice but steep. Yikes!! http://www.frenchlick.com/recreation/justForKids/index.jsp Currently they are running a special bogo with the kids prgram which range from $20-50/3 hour of activities run by enthusiastic college kids My 7 yo enjoyed it tremendously!

All in all with the addition o the kids program it is a more well rounded resort now however food in the area remains a huge problem as there are no restaurants except Subway and DQ and the onsite ones leave a little to be desired. A Dennys is supposed to be opening in the next year.

We plan to go back in the fall for the train robbery event which my kids love.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank wam3k
Reviewed 6 August 2009

The hotel is very nice. They have done a great job with the Renovation. You can tell the hotel has tons of history, but it does not show its age. The staff was very friendly and there if you needed them. The room has a comfortable bed, nice bathroom, and it was a good size. The pool there is nice but is small for the size of hotel. It was not overused however. The Casino was actually quite surprising. It was good sized with tons of slots and an adequate number of table games. It’s great to find live dealers on dry land in the middle of Indiana! Breakfast buffet was good, nothing amazing but it was good. The 1908 Steakhouse was a little disappointing. For a “nice” restaurant I thought the food was just “ok” and the service was the same. For that price and type of restaurant I expected a little more. Bowling in the hotel is very neat. Pizza down there is excellent. One warning about bowling, you keep score by hand. They should spring for an automated scoring system! If you want to get away from it all and relax for a couple of days and do some good gambling it’s great. If you are wanting a “Resort” go somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed 25 July 2009

We've stayed here several times and each time enjoy it more. The history is fascinating and the rooms are sooo comfy. Big beautiful lake nearby if you enjoy boating. You can walk to the casino through the hotel. The furnishings of the hotel are spectacular, but make sure you take the shuttle to West Baden to enjoy the history there. Each time we go we discover something new to do. Loved sitting in the comfy rockers on the huge front porch. Love this place.

Reviewed 15 July 2009

My wife and I spent four days at the hotel with friends from Texas. Hotel, food, service and casino were all first class. Our only complaints were with the golf experiences. First, the old Donald Ross course was under renovation; fairways were almost completely lacking of grass and there were a lot of workers who repeatedly got in the way. They gave us all a break on the greens fees, so that helped.
We tried to play the new Pete Dye course that opened in April of this year. We were absolutely shocked when we were told the individual, 18 hole greens fees were $350 per person! Since there was no one playing on the course at all that day it seems ridiculous to charge that kind of rate at a new course in southern Indiana. How can this possibly make economic sense? We have paid that type of fee for places like Pebble Beach, but French Lick has neither the Pacific Ocean, tradition or history of other courses with this high a fee. What gives?

1  Thank golfstercolorado
Reviewed 11 July 2009

My husband brought me here for my 30th birthday and I definitely enjoyed it. The hotel staff were very friendly and the housekeeping was VERY prompt. We ordered room service and I was impressed there as well. We also took a horse-back ride at The Stables (by the West Baden hotel) and that was definitely worth the money; great experience. Also, the front desk gave us a 20% coupon for The Stables, but it would have been worth every penny without it!!! They were also very friendly at The Stables and were very very patient with us because neither of us had been on a horse before. The guide was great with helping us control the horse. I also had the Sacred Stone massage at the spa and LOVED IT!! The entire spa experience was wonderful and relaxing. I was impressed with just about everything with this hotel right down to the in-room coffee. The rennovation of this hotel is just spectacular; they did a wonderful job maintaining the old-time charm of this hotel with the added convenience of modern-day ammenities. It is amazing that they were able to retain alot of the original features from the marble staircases and columns to the crown molding (I think the crown molding is original). The lobby will take your breath away. This is a great hotel for anyone that appreciates the old-time charm. I also liked the fact that there is an array of things to do for all age groups from kids activities to gambling for the adults. This hotel is also smoker-friendly (my husband and I are smokers) as they have smoking rooms, you can smoke in the casino (except for the designated non-smoking section) and they have smoking sections around the pool area and such. I also like the fact that they have Wi-Fi in room (it's included in the resort fee they already charge you). However, I was not picking up a strong enough signal so they brought me up an ethernet cable (very promptly might I add) which remedied that. The only negative thing I would have to say about this hotel is the dining options. There is a couple little places to get sandwiches, pizza, etc. but I just wasn't overly impressed with the dining situation. However, we did NOT try 1875 The Steakhouse or the buffett. Also, you won't find much shopping around here.

1  Thank Melody30
#1 of 3 in West Baden Springs
The Legend of French Lick Resort
The Legend of French Lick Resort
#1 of 1 in West Baden Springs

Been to French Lick Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!