“Unique” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in French Lick
Indianapolis
“Unique”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2007

Just returned form two days at the Resort. Spectacular. Beautiful lobby, very nice rooms, and reasonably priced. GREAT golf course. One of a kind. You can see th entire course from the club house. Beautiful rolling hills.

Good food...if not great. A large casino although I did not visit it.

AND, best of all, an adjacent hotel that is comonly owned that is the most unique building in America. West Baden Hotel. You've got to see it to belive it. Huge round lobby. Round building.

I will go again soon.

• Liked — Architecture
  • Disliked — Remote
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
7 Thank CopelandGolfer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Greenville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2007

I must write after reading the other ratings. The resort closed for an extended period of time for remodeling. My husband and I stayed for one night last week....WHAT A TRANSFORMATION!!

I have stayed several times in the past for conventions (ie. not optional). It was dismal and it smelled foul. That is no longer the case.

The first thing I noticed was that the smell is gone. The entry is amazing. The decor is beautiful. The nasty old pool is gone with a beautiful new one in its place. The spa is stunning. The grounds will be beautiful (they were not done yet because still too cold outside). The place is neat and fun to explore. We can't wait to take our kids and stay for longer.

Our king size room was $130.00. I thought the rate was reasonable. They make their money elsewhere, primarily the casino. I did go into the casino. I have never been to one before and I thought it was OK. People do smoke in the casino but it was well ventilated. Also, the slot games were very complicated. I lost $40 and still don't really understand how the game is played. Then we left.

The stone massage in the spa is a MUST. My husband had the sports massage and said it was the best massage he has ever had.

We will go back!

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
10 Thank cjmeldrum
Milford, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2007

Absolutely outstanding hotel! Breathtakingly beautiful inside - very tastefully and ornately decorated. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. We ordered room service and it was very good and prompt in arriving. The casino is very nice too but a special section for nonsmokers would be nice. (It wasn't as bad as some places). We hope to return for another stay the next time we're in the area - such a beautiful place.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — We were't able to stay longer!
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Moose61
Indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2007

I decided to organize a weekend trip to French Lick's new resort and casino for the location of my husband's 30th birthday.

It was a little more expensive than I wished ($244.00/night), but normally, it runs less than $200. I think it was more because it was a big gambling weekend with the NCAA tournament.

The resort itself was beautiful. The restorations, renovations and updates make all the difference. I had heard that it was not in very good shape before and now it is incredibly gorgeous. High ceilings, gold and crystal chandeliers and a total 1920s atmosphere warped our group back to the days of flappers and gangsters. I was VERY impressed.

There is a fabulous wrap-around porch with several rocking chairs that give a view of the casino and grounds surrounding the hotel. There is a valet service and room service. They also have SEVERAL places to eat.

I called on Tuesday to organize dinner and managed to talk to the manager of a place called Hagen's. It is off the resort; however, it is connected. They normally don't do "reservations" but she agreed to have a table for us if we came no later than 6:00 and she was right 0 the place filled up by 7 and they were busy!

There is a free shuttle via the hotel that will take you there and drop you off. It is a casual eatery overlooking the French Lick golf course (great view!). The food is moderately priced and the wait staff was wonderful. I brought a cake and they gladly kept it in the fridge for me until it was time to cut, cut it up for me, and served it at the end of the meal.

The food was REALLY good...home cooked kind of choices. Erich had ribs ($13.00) and inhaled them ...he said they were awesome. I had fried chicken and mashed potatoes, everything was very tasty.

Afterwards, we called the shuttle driver, who gladly handed over her cell phone and was there waiting when our meal was over. She was incredibly nice and easy to chat with. The ride was less than 5 minutes and she dropped us off door to door service to the casino.

The casino is an addition to the hotel. It is on a TINY little body of water, making it legal in Indiana for gambling. We showed our IDs, got our hands stamped and located the bar. Most of hte girls in the group aren't really gamblers and we were hping to snag a table and enjoy some drinks.

The casino itself was bouncing and busy, but not too busy that you couldn't get in on a table. There was small waits for Texas Hold 'Em and Black Jack but it usually wasn't long. The dealers, pit bosses and waitresses were polite and helpful to me, a casino rookie. We enjoyed $3/$6 limit hold 'em and my husband lost his cash playing craps and Three Card Poker.

The casino is not very big and they do allow smoking inside, but it didn't seem smoky to me. The drinks were inexpensive. You could get mixed drinks (rum/diet, vodka/sprite, red bull/vodkas) for $3.00, which I think is EXTREMELY cheap! Great deal!

There was a band playing and the bar area was well organized so you could see the band and TVs, which had the games on. There are also gambling games AT the bar, which was fun if you were bored and wanted to throw a quarter or two away.

The band was pretty good (a group out of Nashville), so I give the entertainment level at the casino a 5. Even the nongamblers had an incredibly good time.

We tested out the buffet in the morning and although it was only $10, I personally am not a fan of buffets and thought it was a waste of money. Another girl I was with really enjoyed the food, so I think it was just me.

Overall, I think French Lick's new resort/casino is great for a weekend away. It was a special treat and everything went smoothly. I would definitely go back and we are starting to plan our next trip now.

10 Thank marciejbee
Shepherdsville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2007

This place is everything modern Harrah’s owned casino-hotels have forgotten made them great- luxury, great service, and class. I wish more gambling Mecca’s would take cues from this place.

Check-in begins with valet service and a waiting bell man. Both times we’ve visited our bell men, Jacob and AJ, have been wonderful. They collect your bags, get the doors, and wait patiently at the desk while you check in (check in is also prompt and pleasant). They escort you to your room, fetch ice, and perform whatever perfunctory tasks you require. I like to tip them well, they deserve it. They set the mood for your stay- great service and luxury.

The hotel itself is everything one no longer (unfortunately) expects in a time of Harrah’s owned monolith hotel-casinos. It’s classy, charming, ornate, romantic, and generally all class. It’s refreshing to see crown molding, hand-painted ceilings, ornate tile work, nice room furnishings, and well…character. Wide hallways and tall windows almost make you forget you’re at the casino.

Nothing is done on the cheap in the guest rooms. I have stayed in a regular queen double room and once in a suite. Both have acceptable if not nice furnishings. The fixtures are classy. Thought the regular rooms are a bit small, this is consistent with the historical age of the hotel. The little bottles in the bathroom are OK. The suites have flat-screen TV’s, granite countertops, and quasi-luxurious furniture. In another welcome departure from usual casino amenities, the television channel selection is more than just a few basic channels. The rooms here are a good for gamblers (me) and romantic getaway types (the wife) alike.

The hotel is in the town of French Lick. The drive here is relaxing and even in the stark landscape of winter, beautiful. The countryside and surrounding town provides countless things to do (ski, a railroad museum, winery, state park with lake, shopping, quaint restaurants, and more Larry Bird nostalgia than Boston Gardens).

The lodging is all-class and worthy of five stars. What it may lack (not that you’ll notice) in “modern” it more than makes up for in class and style.

Casino-

It’s small. It lacks many table games (notably, no mini-bac and no pai-gow). The slots are computerized multi-denomination coinless machines (yawn). The rewards program is fair. My casino host is polite and very accessible. Table limits are refreshingly low (the gall of Caesars to raise table minimums and use it to advertise- jerks).

The dealers are great! With one exception, a craps dealer on her fist day on the floor, everyone knows their game. They speak English! No grumps. No bad attitudes. No one making players who aren’t experts feel uncomfortable. Genuine appreciation of tips! One craps dealer has an uncanny resemblance to a Peggy Hill (glasses and all). Also, you may want to stop and see Terrance (a fellow gambler and craps table fixture) just to see “the luckiest man in the dice business”. I had no problem getting on a table on weeknights and weekend morning and afternoons. Just like every other casino, a small wait may be needed to get on a low-limit table on weekend nights.

Ventilation is excellent so, despite their being no smoke free section, there is no permahaze over the casino floor. Drinks are fairly priced though not free (&%$# Indiana law!). They are brought but a reasonably prompt cocktail staff.

For a mid-western boat casino, this place is surprisingly fair, inexpensive, comfortable, and smoke-free-ish. Like everything else at this place- service is A+.

Food- (everything about this place can't be great).

Power Plant- Food here is overpriced and mediocre. The bar selection, especially for rural Indiana, is outstanding. There is great sampling of beer on draft. Service was good.

The chairs and tables are crappy. The menu variety is abysmal. It was lent and I only had one menu item that wouldn’t make me a bad Catholic. The place could also benefit from booths.

It’s worth a visit just to check out the décor of the old electrical circuits. Like everything else here in this resort, the best part is the historical ambience and service.

Buffet- Adequate and fairly priced. Only adequate. Only fairly priced. Service is, as is the standard here, good.

1879- Disappointment on a grand scale.

To start, the décor is OK but the seating leaves much to be desired. If I am having a meal that’s going to cost me $100.00 a head I expect the furniture to be of better quality than a Holiday Inn ball room. Service was equally questionable, a rarity for this place.

My waitresses’ menu knowledge was fair. Her wine recommendation was way off. She recommended for my entrée’ the most expensive item on the menu (not a surprise). Her assistant, a younger girl, did more to actually wait on us, clear plates, remove crumbs, etc. I was bothered that I had to leave a gratuity that the older waitress was going to keep as opposed to just the assistant.

The food was overpriced. I don’t mind spending $100 a plate- I just want to be blown away. The meal was full of disappointments. For starters, the in-house video advertisement for 1879 states “salads are made table-side”. They are not. A lobster mac and cheese appetizer is just OK. However, disappointment was pinnacle with the coup de grace- the entree.

I ordered the bone-in ribeye. My steak at $52.00 should be the shiz-nit. I had to send it back 4 times before it was cooked properly. Despite having problems with the cooking, my waitress disappeared (thank goodness for the assistant). I sat for over 20 minutes while my steak got sent back (and back again, and again…) and my wife’s meal got cold. They did not offer to remove my wife’s meal while they got my meal right. When it finally arrived, the steak was OK. Not great- just OK. I got a really expensive OK steak and my wife got cold fish.

Pluto’s Pizza- Once again when dining, the seating and décor left much to be desired. The place more resembled a truck stop Sabarro that an "old style pizzeria". Once again, the in-house TV channel was blatantly false as there was no “Chef Tony” or “hand-tossed” pizza to be had. The food was nonetheless adequate if not good. Service was friendly and prompt. It almost seems here at French Lick the less you pay for the meal the better the service.

I don’t know if the general food mediocrity here is just the industry standard (as I would think from my lack-luster Caesar’s dining experiences of late) or just a way this place is still struggling to “reopen”.

General complaints-

The pizzeria was down in the farthest wing from the casino. The over-priced and overly-nice spa is also here. This is the part of the resort where you are apparently expected to dump the kids and wife to go gamble. It’s almost like management does not expect anyone to pay attention to the details in this part of the resort. It’s all done if not cheaply then certainly without any mind to the luxurious décor that makes the rest of this hotel so great. (The small bar off the bowling alley is however very pretty.)

The charm of the entire resort is beauty, ornate interior, and turn of the century luxury. That is all lost each time I see fluorescent lights, cheap tables and chairs, and cheap industrial carpet. Did French Lick run out of money on the rebuild or do they just think that wives, kids, and bowlers won’t notice the cut-rate interior decoration?

All good things must come to an end…

Check out was prompt though pricey, this place ain’t cheap. However, despite calling to have my car brought up by the valet, it was not there 30 minutes later. Just when I thought I was going to have my first non-food-related service disappointment, my bellman, AJ, who I had requested because of his great service at check-in, fetched it himself. That’s service! We walked down the pretty marble steps and into my waiting car. Another great stay at a great hotel.

We decided to eat somewhere else that morning. Until French Lick gets food right- you should too.

• Liked — Beautiful historic classy decor. All class all over.
  • Disliked — The more you pay for a meal here the bigger the let down.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
19 Thank TeamW
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2007

I have stayed in some of the finest 4 and 5 star resorts in the United States and I have to say that this one is right up there with some of the nicest Westin and Hyatt resorts I've stayed at. The rooms are beautiful and clean. Everything in the hotel is brand new and spotless. Of course there are a few kinks in the system as it only re-opened in October.
The food was wonderful and the people were incredibly friendly and helpful. I was surprised to see that some people had complained about service and food in their reviews. I'm not sure what they were expecting.
There are several restaurants to choose from, there is a beautiful indoor pool and the spa looked amazing. I believe in the summer they even offer horseback riding. There is also a bowling alley, although we didn't see it.
We live in Southern Indiana and I think that if you are within driving distance of this resort you should really plan a weekend trip. It was very relaxing and gave us the feel that we were far from home. We'll go back as soon as we can!

• Liked — The room was large, clean and comfortable.
  • Disliked — The buffet was very crowded at dinner time.
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank IndianaTraveler25
Louisville
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2007

Long lines for the cramped, crowded elevators, attractions not well marked, difficult to find your way around, the rooms were nice but for me the dining service was TERRIBLE!!!! Monday morning at 9:00am only one restraunt was open and the line had at least 200 people in it. I stood in one spot for 45 minutes before giving up and seeking breakfast elsewhere. French Lick is in the middle of nowhere which means that there are no other restraunts anywhere near (Unless you want to go to Dairy Queen). To herd this many poeple into a hotel and to not be able to feed them is a cardinal sin in the hospitality trade. Nice shops upstairs but most were not open for business, I came to eat and shop, checked out early, hungry, having done neither.

Stayed February 2007
West Baden Springs Hotel
West Baden Springs Hotel
#1 of 3 in West Baden Springs
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,610 reviews

Been to French Lick Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!