“Very average, not sure what all the excitement is about”

French Lick Springs Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in French Lick
Bloomington, IN
“Very average, not sure what all the excitement is about”
Reviewed 21 July 2007

We live in Bloomington, IN (only about an hour from the resort) and the person who basically put up all the money for the restoration, etc. is from Bloomington so of course there have been countless articles in our local paper about how wonderful this resort is, etc. We were given a gift certificate for a one-night stay (had to be a Friday night) as a wedding gift last Fall and used it last night.

When checking availability before planning our stay, the price listed for a King room was $264/night. After having stayed, I am very glad we were using a gift certificate and did not willingly pay that rate. I was not very impressed at all. The room was fine, it was clean, but it was certainly not a $264/night room. I have stayed in much, much nicer hotels in much nicer locations for less.

I can only comment on the buffet restaurant which is where we ate our dinner and breakfast. One might think that for $20 per person for dinner, you would get fairly high quality food but this is not the case. Everything was just average and I actually found a hair in my salmon. Breakfast at the buffet was $10 per person and while a little more reasonable, again the food was average...the french toast was limp, the sausage links were cold and the strawberries that were cut up for fresh fruit still had the green on the ends. We did have good service in the buffet restaurant. Our drinks were kept filled and dirty plates taken away promptly.

We did check out the casino but we are not big gamblers and only played a few slot machines. It was smoky but we weren't really in there long enough for it to bother us.

We walked around the "gardens" behind the building and we both thought maybe they just weren't finished with the landscaping...same with the front landscaping. It is nice to sit in the rocking chairs on the huge front porch but the view included some wave petunias that looked like they needed watering and some other sparse looking plants with no color...along with a gas station and some other buildings across the street. Like I said, we live only an hour north and southern Indiana can be very pretty but one description I read about the resort described it as being in the breathtaking Hoosier National Forest...which is true but you certainly don't see any type of breathtaking view from the hotel.

We did not use the pool so I can't comment on that.

We did use the valet service and had no problem with it.

The elevators were very, very slow and we heard other guests commenting about it as well. In the one elevator that we used most of the time, there was a printed label next to one of the buttons that listed what was on that floor and a mistake had been made and it was crossed out with a pen. Now, I don't know who crossed it out (doesn't matter), but when thinking about the millions spent on this renovation you would think somebody on the staff might notice this and take the time to print a new label. I know it is a very minor thing but we just thought it funny/ironic.

Upon check-out, we were informed of the $12 resort fee that we were responsible for. We were given no explanation as to what this covered and still don't know. $12 is not a big deal but it would have been nice to have been told about this when making the reservation and even nicer to get an explanation for it.

Overall, my opinion is that the whole place is way overpriced. It is also really hard to believe that so much money would be spent on renovations and building the casino but it seems not much thought or money was put into the gardens or the quality of the food.

We certainly appreciated our gift certificate as it was nice just to get away for an evening and relax with no schedule, but we would certainly not return as full-paying customers.

• Liked — bed was comfy
  • Disliked — food quality and price
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Scootie2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Ohio
Reviewed 5 July 2007

We spent 4 nights at the French Lick Springs. They have done a great job restoring the hotel. Our room was clean and well furnished. The grounds were in great shape but they are still doing some landscaping. Great pool , indoor and outdoor with an indoor tennis facility. Golf is available but they are still working on restoring the course at the hotel. The West Baden is now open with shuttles between the two.

Visited a couple of parks in the area, Pakota Lake and Spring Mills an Amish town restoration.

We ate one night at the Beechwood and B&B up the street from the Springs. We had a great meal.

Stayed July 2007
8 Thank Rudolph2
Anderson , IN
Reviewed 28 June 2007

The stay was very nice. A very large facility, with alot to see and do. Employees were very nice, and helpfull. Room was spotless, easy to get to and really took us back in time.
We ate in the 1875 Restraunt, res. at 8:30pm, a little pricy but food was the best we have ever eaten, we had one unpleasant experience.
I'm all for having fun, but there was this lady seated next to out table, that had the Witch of the West laught, and used it the entire time we were there. Her mouth never stopped never being considerate of those around her. Sort of a downer to what was supposed to be a Great evening.
Overall a Great place to visit and take in a little bit of History.

KK

• Liked — Nostalgia and setting
  • Disliked — No quick to get to
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KenKAnderson_IN
Riverside CA
Reviewed 15 June 2007

We did not stay at the hotel...so we didnt see the rooms. However, we
have eaten at the buffet several times. We have found it to have a wonderful fresh selection of food...even great desserts...not just ice cream and simple cakes. We thought the prices were fair for the amount of choices and freshness we observed. Loved it! The hotel looked beautiful...chandeliers and the whole deal!!! I cant wait to stay there!!!

• Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
6 Thank empressof6
Bloomington,IN
Reviewed 1 June 2007

My wife and I just got back from the "resort", I have a couple problems with the place.

The Hotel:
The hotel is truely beautiful, but the rooms leave more to be desired. The rooms are fairly clean, but not $160.00 clean. When I booked this room I was told I would be paying $129, after all their stupid fees I ended up paying close to $160. I expected some taxes to be added, but whats with this $12 reservation fee?! I reserved this room online. I did all the work, if anything they should be paying me this 12 bucks. Then I get charged some other fee for internet access. I didn't request internet, nor did I use it.
The bed was the best bed I have ever slept on in my life, period. The TV in the room was awesome. I'm not sure how big it was, but having a big plasma was great.
The room did have an odor, but it was a smoking room so I cannot complain there.

The Casino:
The casino was great, but I expected more. I am used to going to Caesars, and this place is far from it. I went during the week so I really didn't have any problems getting on a table, but I assume the weekends are much harder. The dealers are very friendly and willing to help if needed. The slots could be more orginized. The smoker eaters are great. You would think it is a non-smoking place. The staff serving drinks could be better. It was not so much the service, but the lack there of. For the longest time I thought there was only one person in the whole place serving drinks. I like the fact that they advertise $5 dollar tables and actually have $5 dollar tables, unlike Caesars. Besides having a guy hit an 18 with the dealer showing a 3(yes i'm serious), I have no major issues with the casino.

Spa:
I have no problems with the spa simply because we didn't use it. My wife has no problem spending money, but even she couldn't pay $80 to have her nails buffed. I'm sure the services here are great, but everything is WAY overpriced.

Food:
We ended up eating three meals here.
The first meal was lunch at a place called Diamond Jack's. For the price is was a decent meal. I had a burger and fries. It was good, but again the service screwed the meal. I like a little mayo on my burger and would of asked for some if the waitress would of came back to the table...she didn't. I could of understood this if she was overworked, but there were only 3 tables occupied including us. My wife had the grilled chicken sandwich. It was pretty good, besides the tomato. Whoever made this sandwich put the top of the tomato on it. You know the part with the brown dot that the stem attaches to, that you cut off the top and discard?? I couldn't believe it. Other than that the food was good and the service was crappy.
Our second meal was at the buffet. It was by far the worst buffet I have ever had in my life. The food was horrible. And the selection was worse. To top it off it was $20 a person. Are you crazy?!? It's not the money, its the fact that this should be the best buffet I ever eat for $20 per! The food was just bad. Yea, they had prime rib, wanna know how the cooked it?? The grilled it!!! And then covered it in a mushroom gravy!!! Can you believe that??? You don't cut up prime rib into 1/2" slices and then grill it!!! I couldn't believe it. The website claims it has a good selection of different varitiys of food and it doesn't. Heck, they claim it has mexican. there wasn't one mexican dish on the menu!!
Our last mean was breakfast the next morning at Diamond Jack's once again. I didn't have any complaints about mine. It was the standard breakfast: eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, toast. Eggs were cooked over easy just like I like them. Once again, I like a little ketchup on my hash browns. I would of asked for some if the waitress ever came back to the table. I would of asked for another iced tea also.
My wife got the biscut's and gravy. These were stone cold. I couldn't believe how cold they were. I would of sent them back, if they would of came back to our table.
Overall, the food was bad, and the service was worse. I got more service from the blackjack dealers than I did from the waitress.

All in all, if I want to go blow some money gambling for a couple hours I would go to French Lick. If I want to take a vacation for a couple days I would go to Caesars.

• Liked — $2.75 Beers
  • Disliked — Worst buffet I ever had for only $20
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
16 Thank zenthias
Marion, Indiana
Reviewed 26 May 2007

Hotel was great nicest I have stayed in in Indiana, Casino not all that great same old same old. Food just okay. Waited 35 minutes for our car through the valet parking very unorganized DON'T USE PARK IT YOURSELF. Paid for the room with cash, but credit card was still charged sending me over my limit. Called the hotel about the problem, it took talking to about 5 different people before anyone was willing to help, after several days the response was we made a mistake and will refund your card and give you a free room. Still waiting on the free room. SUMMARY: Not worth the $300 a night stay.

• Liked — Very clean
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
8 Thank junkyardz
Kentucky
Reviewed 16 May 2007

We just returned from French Lick and to say something positive first, the hotel is very pretty with a lot of history, beyond that I would not reccommend, nor will I return.
We were there on a Mothers Day getaway, as a treat from my son-in-law and daughter.
None the less the buffet room is filled with flies and the bathroom floor in our room, covered with dust and hair. The staff have a matter-of-fact attitude regarding the nastiness!! There were peanuts under the bedskirt and the ceiling is peeling away from the walls!
I was just completly surprized to witness this as I expected so much more. The lobby and halways are beautiful however I think they need to spend a little more time CLEANING THE ROOMS!!!!

• Liked — lobby
  • Disliked — flies and dirty rooms
  • Stayed May 2007
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jasper
West Baden Springs Hotel
West Baden Springs Hotel
#1 of 3 in West Baden Springs

Been to French Lick Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!