Majestic Star Casino & Hotel
Comfort Inn(Hobart)
US$90
US$86
Average 3/5
Courtyard Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN(Hammond)(Great Value!)
US$114
Very Good 4/5
Rodeway Inn(Merrillville)
US$53
US$51
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I read some pretty scary reviews of this hotel before I booked a room. I am puzzled and somewhat suspicious of some of these reviewes. I thought the Majestic Star was very nice. Our room looked recently renovated; clean, spacious and very comfortable. It was a bit cool to use the balcony, but that was an unexpected plus. I can't say enough about the front desk staff, they were simply outstanding. I neglected to get the name of the exotic young lady with the gorgeous nails, but I wish she could take care of us everywhere we go.
With that said, I was a bit disapppointed that the casino was a 10 minute walk from the hotel and that the restaurants were only in the casno. However, if you know that going in, there will be no unpleasant surprises.
All in all, I would be happy to return to the Majestic Star.

Room Tip: We were in room 452, which was very nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gibby1208
Reviewed 30 October 2013

There is no doubt the casino and hotel could use a little paint and carpet. The rooms may be clean but it is so DINGY that you are just not sure. Our room was comfortable the food was decent but the people make this treasure.

We live a few hours from the casino and actually had tried to get a room at another place nearby. My wifes plane was delayed and a winter storm was closing in. Out of desperation I called the Majestic Star. The lady listened to my sob story, found us a warm comfortable room, transportation to the casino so we could play in the middle of the night and then threw in a free breakfast so we could have a hot meal before we headed off into the snow drifts the next morning.

So yes, I could go to another casino, but I choose to go to Majestic because when I needed them, they helped me.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim G
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I get free stats at the Majestic Hotel because of my frequent playing. I had never stayed in the rooms until a week ago. I was verrrrrry disappointed in the rooms; dingy (carpet stained, wall paper peeling off of the walls), dirty (hair in the bathroom, lamp shades had mysterious stains, dead bugs smashed on walls). This hotel needs to be renovated! I'm sure with all the players coming in spending their money, renovations can be made!!! I will never use my free nights to stay there again!! I will play at the majestic and stay at the Ameristar!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Chipotlequeen
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Dirty, grungy, smells like they installed some hand-sanitizer air freshener instead of actually using sanitizing solutions (trust me, next time you use hand sanitizer, smell your hands, Majestic Star smells like that!). Machines have sloppy hand written, "This is the Bet Max button," on a lot of slot machines. Some of the crew is friendly, but the people that card you obnoxiously sing the music that's playing overhead, they are unprofessional, and I also noticed on a few occasions where the only time they are NOT singing, is if you have a lisp when you talk, limp when you walk, are heavy set, or anything that doesn't fit the ideology of the current person not working very hard at the, "We barely I.D. people," gate, then you can hear those workers laugh and make fun of those people and as I personally don't match any of that criteria how lucky of me to be so joyously accepted. *Rolls eyes*
The slot machines I wouldn't even call, "Tight." They are so badly programmed that on most machines, you can hear people smacking and beating them because they aren't winning. As an experiment before I decided to never go back to this casino as well as tell my friends and family to never go here, I went for a few weeks in a row at least a few times a week. Every single slot machine I had played at either max, 40 cents, 60 cents, 90 cents, etc., would pay back about 20 cents every 600th spin. (Sarcastically speaking). This was every time! There are much better casinos to go to. Only go to this casino if you want to lose a bunch of money and have a bad time. Also, unless you want to be harassed, do not join any of their card services because then they will have your mailing address. Once they do, they will send you mail which seems like every single day. However, if you actually go to the casino, the mail will stop, but if you stop going they start sending out the mail repeatedly all over again as if they're, "Watching you." It's very odd, weird, and this is not news to anyone, but what they are hoping is you will become addicted to gambling and come back all the time to experience those bright swirly Pokémon casino slot lights with bells and whistles and loud noise, but it did the exact opposite. Now? I spend my money on an art museum or going with my family to a Zoo. MUCH better...cleaner smoke-free environment. Definitely not for me.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Isabella A
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The room was dirty upon check-in including hair in the tub. The linens looked and felt worn and dingy. No breakfast in the morning so you have to go to the casino to eat which is a five minute walk with very limited choices. There is nothing near this hotel except the casino. My husband wanted to go for a run and ended up running circles around the parking lot.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple