“Nice Place, and So Quiet” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Red Roof Inn Mishawaka - Notre Dame
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Granger
Annapolis, MD
“Nice Place, and So Quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2009

I stayed overnight while traveling cross country. The room price was reasonable. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Everything in the room worked. The room was large in size; possibly close to 500 square feet.

My room overlooked the Indiana Toll Road, but it was quiet - did not hear the highway all night. Early August must be the dead season for this hotel; there must not have been more than 10 rooms occupied, and even though my room was right off the lobby, there was no noise at all!

Most Red Roofs offer coffee and that's it. This one actually has a breakfast room with breakfast. The meal is nothing special - there is nothing hot, just cereal and some (decent) pastries and bagels, but it is more than I usually find at The Roof.

I often travel with a dog, and much appreciated the walking areas and the garbage cans for easy disposal of clean-up supplies. It is surprising how many hotels place only one exterior garbage can, and put it right next to the front door to the lobby.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2009

We were very satisfied with our stay. We feel it was even better than the last time we stayed there. The staff members were very accomodating. The reasonable price was very much appreciated, too. We will stay there again the next time we are in town.
C. S. Dillon
Florida

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

We stayed in this hotel once last year (after it was renovated) and it wasn't spectacular but everything has recently been upgraded so it was at least pleasant. We thought that since we'd had an ok experience there last year we would stay there again. NEVER AGAIN! The whole floor smelled like smoke. Our room was non-smoking but filthy! The security lock on the door was broken off and when we told the clerk on duty her response was "ok" no more no less. The bathroom was filthy. The sink was cruddy and the bathtub was downright dangerous it was so slippery. There was no coffee in the room but there was an empty small refridgerator? Don't know what that was all about... The carpeting throughout the hotel is in sad need of a cleaning. The continental breakfast consists of 4 plastic bulk food bins of dry ceral, some prepackaged "buns" and 2 carafes of coffee (which ran out....) I'm not sure if the staff was awake when I checked in or out. They are the most subdued hotel staff I've ever met. No smiles, no how was your stay, come again NOTHING but here's your receipt. I don't expect to be in a four star hotel at this price but I would expect that the rooms were clean and the staff at the very least be friendly. Sorry for you but I will never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Cleveland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2008

We had low expectations for this 2 star hotel and we were pleasantly surprised when it exceeded our expectations. The room was nice; the breakfast area was beautiful; breakfast offerings were 4 cereals and donuts. No complaints.

• Liked — I didn't think it had a complimentary breakfast. So, ceral was a pleasant surprise.
  • Disliked — We booked at $52. Upon Checkin we were told $54. They changed it once we complained.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
mo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2007

I couldn't believe how bad this was! I've stayed here in the past, never great, but convenient. The staff is very nice, but their ability to improve matters is very limited without the manager and he's not easily available.
I stayed 2 nights this time. My room was semi-clean, but the bathroom was filthy! Dried "crud" on the walls, dead flies on the floor, toilet dirty-gross.
1st morning, had a bagel in my room, which I dropped on the floor and got crumbs on the floor. I picked up what I could, but figured when the room was cleaned, they'd vacuum up the crumbs I couldn't get.
Came back to my room that night, floor had not been vacuumed. Instead of my bed being made, the sheet, blanket and comforter was just thrown over the pillows. Pillows weren't even put back into original position! Dead flies still on bathroom floor, all still filthy. I even left a note in the morning with a couple of dollars asking for the bathroom to be cleaned! Money was gone, but bathroom not cleaned!
No hot water 2nd night or the following morning. Asked front desk about it and was told that happens sometimes when they're full!
After that experience, I won't be staying there again!
Hope this helps future travellors!

• Disliked — see my review!
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank arnf
State College, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2007

I drove to the South Bend area late on a Thursday night for a one-day seminar at Granger Community Church in April of 2007. After I failed to win a bid for a hotel room at Priceline, I booked the cheapest available hotel on Expedia, which was this Red Roof Inn at $62. Though this was more than I had hoped to pay, it was the cheapest in the area. And it is located across the street from GCC, so the location was ideal.

I pulled into town at around 2:00 am, so the lobby was obviously quiet. Check-in was somewhat slow but not too bad. When I entered my room, I was amazed by its size. Both the bedroom and the bathroom were quite spacious, especially for a budget hotel like the Red Roof. The bed was comfortable enough, and the bathroom was impeccably clean.

I have two minor complaints about this hotel. First, there was no TV remote, but at 2:00 am, it really didn't matter to me. I didn't even bother to call the desk to get one, so I have no idea how responsive they would have been to that problem.

The other and somewhat more significant issue was the highway noise, which has been mentioned in other reviews. It was significant, as one might expect from such close proximity to a major interstate highway. I am a heavy sleeper, so once I was asleep, it didn't bother me at all. But for light sleepers, I could imagine how this might present a problem.

In the morning, the continental breakfast was solid if unspectacular. In fact, that description ("solid if unspectacular") might best describe my stay. There was nothing fancy about this place, but it did the job. I had a very pleasant stay at the Red Roof Inn in Mishawaka, Indiana, and I imagine that I might stay here again if I'm in the area.

• Liked — Big, clean rooms
  • Disliked — Highway noise was significant
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
Fishers, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2006

We had the "privilege" of staying at the Red Roof Mishawaka for a Notre Dame football weekend. The room was overpriced even in the superheated ND football market.

Be careful when you reserve a room for this hotel on the net. Even though your e-mail confirmation says you can cancel up to date of arrival, the hotel has a 30 day cancellation policy. There is fine print in your e-mail that says check with the individual hotel, but this should have been in the e-mail.

As an earlier review noted, the hotel sits adjacent to the Indiana Toll Road. The building sits perpendicular to the Toll Road. The first room we were given was two rooms from the Toll Road. When we walked in the room, the noise from the highway was very evident. The bathroom was handicapped accessible with a handheld shower wand, with brackets to hold the shower at head level and at tub level. I discovered the upper bracker was open, which would have meant holding the shower wand for our entire shower. For $200 per night, I would at least expect the room to be in working order.

When we asked the front desk if we could move to another room, they did comply by "upgrading" us to the "last room available". A king size room with a jacuzzin in the bedroom area. Unfortuantely this room was a smoking room and the smell was bad. However given this room was as far from the toll road as you could be in the hotel, I took it. The desk clerk told us "most people would not have complained about the shower. They would be happy to have a room for a Notre Dame football weekend."

That comment summed up the attitude at this hotel - be thankful that we are here for you for us to gouge.

The remote control for the TV in our new room worked intermittently, was missing the battery compartment cover. The contintental breakfast was one of the weakest I have seen. Nothing compared to a Hampton and was worse than other Red Roof's I have stayed in.

The noise from the Toll Road was evident in the new room as far from the road as possible. Putting the heater on low fan during the night provided enough "white noise" to allow us to fall asleep. However when I awoke during the night to use the bathroom, I could hear trucks on the highway even with the bathroom door closed.

I will gladly go a few exits back down to the Toll Road to stay in Elkhart for next year's football games. The prices are less and your business is appreciated.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — noise from the highway
  • Tips/Secrets — bring earplugs - use the air conditioner for white noise to limit highway noise
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank ysuindy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Granger
Best Western Plus Mishawaka Inn
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#13 of 15 in Mishawaka
Extended Stay America - South Bend - Mishawaka - North
Hyatt Place South Bend/Mishawaka
Baymont Inn & Suites Mishawaka South Bend Area
Staybridge Suites South Bend - University Area

Been to Red Roof Inn Mishawaka - Notre Dame? Share your experiences!