“Average”

Dining options: Reservations
Greenwood, Indiana
“Average”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

This place has been a landmark in Greenwood for 20+ years so they are doing something right. My kids usually like Chinese Buffets but for some reason they don't eat much here? I thought the food quality and cleanliness were average. Service was also average as was the food selection. I would recommend the Tokyo Buffet on Emerson Ave if you have a choice but if you are in a pinch, it's ok.

Visited September 2013

Central Indiana
“Very Pleased and Suprised”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I've never really been able to stomach Chinese cuisine. I have tried off and on over the years and have just always found the flavors to be completely off-putting for some reason. However, with the kids out of town, a pregnant wife who loves Chinese in need of a nice surprise, and several websites stating that this place had the best egg rolls around (my wife loves them) I decided that I'd take her out for a 'swanky Saturday night' at Lotus Garden.

Now, before I go on, I have to tell you, we regularly laugh when we pass this place. It looks so terribly dated. If you watch a movie from the 60's, this place looks like the right backdrop. We've commented that they need a new sign, new paint, something... and of course, we'd never bother to go there. That's what made it all the more surprising for the missus.

Upon arrival, I could tell she was thrilled, but also a touch nervous. Once we walked in the door, our nervousness was abated. A neat little pond and bridge forms the opening to the dining room, and we were seated promptly by a very friendly member of the staff.

Our waiter was with us within two minutes. We had water glasses filled, drinks offered, menus presented, and choices to make. Upon investigating the menu, there were literally hundreds of choices, including almost an entire page of American fare. I didn't realize that Lotus Garden had such an extensive American selection, but this made me feel good because, if we my wife liked it, we could come back with the kids and the three of us could eat burgers while she feasted on whatever.

I did decide, however, that I wanted on this date to actually make a real go of trying something Chinese instead of copping out and eating American fare.

My wife had an egg roll together with the Sweet and Sour Chicken. I ordered a plate of fried wontons (pork stuffed) and BBQ Pork with Bok Choy.

The egg roll and wontons arrived within 7-10 minutes, and were extremely hot... since the egg roll contained shellfish, I did not try any of it, but the wontons were amazingly delicious! I found the spicy mustard to be the wrong flavor for them, but the sweet and sour sauce was a perfect compliment. I was very surprised to actually be liking the food!

When the main dishes arrived (about 20 minutes in) they were extremely generously portioned, and likewise piping hot. I didn't realize the side of rice was going to be so soy rich, or I would have ordered white rice, but that's not a criticism of the rice (which I did eat) as much as a matter of it being a bit overload for me on a first real attempt to eat Chinese.

I didn't care for the Bok Choy, mainly because I don't tend to like cooked vegetables to start with, so I don't hold that against anyone - it wouldn't have mattered what green veggie it was, I wouldn't have cared for it cooked. The BBQ pork, however, was outstanding. (To specify, just in care you, dear reader, are thinking that I copped out - this was Chinese BBQ, not American style!) Several pieces had a bark on the outside of the meat that was very flavorful, and the sauce was quite delightful.

My wife also shared some of her Sweet and Sour Chicken with me, which I also found to be surprisingly delicious. The flavors came across well, didn't sit too heavy in my mouth, and actually left me sorta wishing I had gotten some more.

We had enough leftovers to provide another meal at home afterwards, and the meal was very reasonably priced for what we got. We exited with full bellies, another meal in a take out box, and tip for under $30.00.

More importantly, at least for my wife, we found a new restuarant to work into the rotation with the kids... where she can get her fix, I can dabble in a new ethnic food, and the kids can eat a burger to their heart's content.

I am most pleased... and so is my wife.

• Visited August 2013
Akron OH
“Too American”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Dated interior, food was just OK AMericanized Chinese fare with too much salt and little flavor. I will not be returning, they have a huge selection of traditional family style dining I think would be better served if they focus making fewer selections better.

Visited July 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Wanted Buffet”
Reviewed 11 December 2012 via mobile

My daughters and I went to Lotus gardensand originally wanted to do their buffet. We were seated and then handed menus and decided to order from the menu. I am glad we did. The food was so good and the waiter was excellent. If you haven't tried this place yet try it you won't be sorry

Franklin, Indiana, United States
“Yummo!”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

They have the best prime rib in town, and are very reasonably priced. I know it doesn't make sense to get prime rib from a chinese restaurant, but really, IT IS THE BEST

2 Thank Ashley S