“Dillinger exhibit is being moved” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Hammond
Portage,IN
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Dillinger exhibit is being moved”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Very beaufiful welcome center. Astounding during Christmas time with the Christmas Story exhibits, Santa slide mountain, and all the Christmas trees decorated by local groups.

But I'm sure bummed out that the Dillinger musuem area is being moved to the Crown Point courthouse. I thought that was a perfect accesible spot for out of town visitors. Not many will see it now...

Visited August 2014

Box Elder, South Dakota
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

We had read about this review on a friend's blog so took a road trip to visit it. A very nice surprise in a Travel Center. If interested in the gangster era, this is a must stop and very nicely done. My husband loves this type of history and he enjoyed very much as things were done in chronological order of John's life and included several original clothing items, guns, etc. This museum doesn't take a long time to go through so if you're passing that Travel Center along I94, it's worth a stop and for a nominal fee you can tour the museum.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Phyllis S
Saint Louis, Missouri
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Dillinger Museum/Flick Statue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I thought the Dillinger Museum was informative and entertaining. It was well put together, showing a chronological depiction of the events in John's life along with key turn of the century historic events to put the time period in perspective. The museum contained several original items such as the pants he was shot in and his original grave stone. It only cost $4/person. They do need to fix the lighting because it appears the artificial lights are ruining some of the pictures/storyboards. Many of them were faded and hard to read. The museum also has several wax figures set up in potentially disturbing situations for kids, however these figures are only visible if you push a button or turn a door knob, etc, and they give plenty of warning that it may be graphic for young kids. However, I found it interesting that the last set-up was of a dead Dillinger laid out with fake blood. They warn this may be disturbing to young kids, however all around this part of the exhibit are ACTUAL pictures of Dillinger dead with REAL blood in the pictures. There's probably four or so pictures all around showing this, including a close-up of his face and a mold of his face in his dead state. I just found it weird they felt the need to put a warning on the wax figure when there were actual pictures all around it that kids could easily see.

Lastly, we had to stop of a few seconds to view the Flick statue from A Christmas Story. I discovered this statue was here by researching roadside attractions for our road trip. I think the Welcome Center should advertise the statue is there somehow inside. Even just a sign that says "don't forget to go see Flick" with a arrow pointing that way or something. I think people could easily miss the statue.

The Center itself was very clean and the people were nice. It was a nice little stop for our road trip and would recommend others visiting the museum.

Visited May 2014
Dallas, Texas
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Review of the John Dillinger Museum”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I love gangster history. And when we made the trip to the Chicago area, I wanted to include this in our trip along with seeing the Biograph Theater (where Dillinger was shot by the FBI), Al Capone's grave, and a monument in Barrington, Illinois dedicated to teh FBI agents who died in a shoot out with "Baby Face" Nelson. All told, those afore mentioned historical attractions were a little more interesting than the Dillinger Museam at the Indiana Welcome Center.

I guess I was expecting a little bit more since it was originally located down around Dillinger's hometown of Mooresville and there were rumors it was originally to be moved to the Lake County Jail in Crown Point, Indiana (Where Dillinger made his famous "wooden gun" escape). But my expectations were immediately deflated the moment we entered. You are not allowed to take pictures inside the exhibit. I was, however, allowed to take a picture at the entrance. Still, I've visited other gangland museums, like the 2 major ones in Las Vegas, and you can take pictures there!

As for the exhibit itself, it's kind of dull and not very much to it. There are family photos and personal letters and such from Dillinger. But it's mostly cheesy dioramas that you can find in any little museum anywhere. They have waxwork dummies of Dillinger and other famous outlaws but they barely resemble the people they're portraying. Add to that, the dummies were not well kept and in need of maintaince. The clothes were a bit tattered and some of the dummies had broken legs, arms, and missing fingers. I can't help but thinking that if the Dillinger Museum was moved into the Gangster Museums of Las Vegas, that the exhibit would be better cared for and more exciting to see.

Other than that, there isn't much to the place. It's another state welcome center. There is a gift shop but it's a bit overpriced for the trinkets you get. A Dillinger book, some keychains, deck of gangster playing cards, and postcards cost me $80... Which I immediately regretted spending.

We didn't see the "Christmas Story" Attraction. But we did visit the actual Christmas Story house in Cleveland which I am sure would probably be way more interesting tha their set up if the Dillinger Museum is any indication.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Craig N
Griffith
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Great Welcome Center”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

This place is clean and very friendly. The Dillinger Museum was very intersting and not too long. Loved the gift shop. They have different things set up in the hall all the time so its nice going back.