“Better than expected”

Johnel's Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 110 Restaurants in Hammond
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We were staying at the Ramada, but looking at the outside we tried looking for another place to eat. After finding nothing, we returned here for breakfast. Our service was EXCELLENT!!!! Food was good, on par with any diner that I am accustomed to. I thought the prices were fair.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

The Ramada was close and you could just walk right across the parking lot. Ramada needs some serious work due to damage and mold upstairs. But Johnel's was good. It isn't gourmet and the prices may seem high to some...but they were about what you see in any bigger city restaurant. We were very pleased. Some of the food was just okay. But the house specialties were awesome. My friend had the Chicken Vesuvio (but requested no breading on the chicken I think) and it was very good! I had the Vineyard Chicken and couldn't have been happier. The cheesecake truly is the closest thing to a slice of heaven I have ever, ever had! It was just the lightest, fluffiest thing I have ever experienced. I even asked if they ship but they laughed at me...lol. It was too far back to Kentucky to bring some home to my husband. They also have chocolate covered strawberries that turned out to be a nice surprise. My daughter lives right there and didn't know about them. She said she would definitely be going back for some more. You can also get all of your basic cocktails there and our Pina Colodas were very pleasing. I am hoping they tear down the Ramada and build a nice hotel and pool next door. But I will definitely be going back to Johnel's next time I am in town.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed in a nearby motel and decided to walk to Johntels. Upon arrival the place looked neat and inviting. Upon arrival a young man slammed 2 waters on the table without a word and walked away. Our waitress was pleasant enough. I ordered a BLT and my husband ordered the Ruben. Both came with complimentary soup. My chicken and pasta was ok, nothing spectacular, I suspect it was canned. My husband's clam chowder was like none he had ever had before. It was supposedly Manhattan style and it was red, however, there the resemblance stopped...it was thick, no sign of clams or vegetables. The rolls looked good but were not fresh. My BLT was fine...delivered as ordered. My husband's Ruben (his favorite sandwich) was so bad, he could not eat it. The corned beef was tough, the kraut tasteless and stringy. The usual thousand island was not on it...there was some kind of sour sauce on it. Just not edible. We decided to top off our meal with dessert - the cakes and pies looked great and were advertised as baked fresh in their kitchen. We tried the German Chocolate Cake. It was dry and obviously not fresh.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

It was easy to figure out that certain people will like this restaurant. If you will eat deep-fried meat, drink poor water and put up with food that does not even look like what you ordered, this place is for you.

I went with two other men for a business dinner. We each had different meals. I ordered an open-faced veal sandwich with mashed potatoes. Technically, that's what I received. The veal patty was very thin. It was deep fried!!! Not pan fried as expected. It was also over cooked. The mashed potatoes were fair at best. The brown gravy was orange!!! It tasted funny, not bad, just odd. All I got was a tiny ice cream scoop of potatoes.

Our waitress was fine. She said she doesn't eat there much. We believe it was because the food was too expensive for the tiny portions.

This is just another 'heat and serve' restaurant. Nothing special other than high prices for poor to average food.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

We had finally made out way out of Chicago and were looking for something to eat. Didn't really want fast food, and found this by GPS. The outside looked like it might have been a Perkins at one time or something. We were greeted right away and seated. Staff was friendly and attentive. My husband had a mushroom swiss burger (1/2 pound) that came with soup and fries. Cooked as asked. I had the country fried steak, mashed potatoes and green beans, soup or salad. Ordered the salad, which was huge for a side salad. Blue cheese dressing was extra (didn't know too many places did that anymore..) but was good. MUCH more food than was needed. Started off with a bowl of rolls/muffins which was nice to munch on while waiting. Kitchen was fast and food was hot. Don't miss this place!

1  Thank JohnandJana