“Excellent Value! Superb customer service and clean, pet friendly”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Hammond
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent Value! Superb customer service and clean, pet friendly”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I'm currently visiting relatives in Hammond and Calumet City for Thanksgiving and needed a safe, clean, and comfortable room for me and my rat terrier without breaking the bank.

I originally booked a room at the Motel 6 (formally Super 8) in Lansing that I booked for an average $45 per night, but the place was a horrific dump. My "non-smoking room" smelled like a 24hr pool hall and had busted ceiling plaster, my view outside my room included used baby diapers thrown out the window, and my neighbors vigorous lovemaking vibrated through the wall and my bed. Top all of this off with non-working wifi and a cast of sketchy looking people including the desk person, needless to say I had to get the h*ll out that the fleabag place.

My sister told me about the Magnuson Hotel on Calumet Ave and drove me over. Yes, as others have mentioned the hotel is very dated. However, what sold me was the exceptonally clean and organized lobby, clean carpets and walls, and most importantly the very professional and pleasant service provided by the pretty ladies at the desk. The staff that checked me in got me in a nice and cozy king room that was close to an entrance to make walking the dog convenient. The cost per night for me was $55 plus a one-time $10 charge for my per.

Factoring in the high level of service provided, exceptionally clean rooms and facilities, free hot breakfast, Free Wifi, on-site laundry, and being pet friendly, this IS an excellent value.
The Magnusen Hotel strikes the right balance between comfort, quality, and cost and is what makes it an excellent value. If the hotel was new and provided the same amenities, it would easily cost $80 and higher, plus the higher pet charge.

Im pleased with my stay and highly recommend this hotel to those who need an affordable yet comfortable place to stay.

Room Tip: For folks with pooches, ask for room near gazebo or rear entrance for quick dog walks.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stopped here unplanned and did not check Tripadvisor first. We were tired and desperate, and the hotel looked okay from the road. Even the front desk area looked okay. But then we went to the elevator and then to the second floor. Reeking of cigarette smoke, dirty carpet, words scrawled on doors, dirty disoriented man walking down the hall. Then we went to the room. It's nothing like the pictures posted here. And more importantly, the noise coming from all around us on a Sunday night made me sure bad stuff was happening in this hotel. We stayed for all of about five minutes before deciding to get back in the car and keep going! We were willing to let them keep our payment, but they did give us a refund. I definitely learned a lesson

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank ILoveFerns
Bristol, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We happened into this hotel due to weather on the way to Chicago. Arrived with no reservations and took what we could get in the room. It is an older hotel, and it is in need of updating and 'sprucing' up. It was reasonably priced for what you get, but I wouldn't call it a value. Given a choice I probably would not stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Chris N
South Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 March 2013

When we arrived, the front desk person was courteous, but we interrupted her getting her nails polished by some guy. On the way to our room, we noticed the hallway was very dirty. This wasn't just old carpeting, it was filthy. We'd driven a lot of hours, and needed to get some sleep, or we'd have gone to another place. The beds were comfy. There was no clock in the room and no coffee maker. One area of the carpet had a dried on white substance. We put a towel over it because we did not want to walk on it. In the morning, there was no hot water for the shower, so we went down to breakfast at 7:30. As we rounded the corner to the lobby, we heard a woman state loudly that she "ain't gonna go buy no eggs." I'd phoned the hotel prior to making our reservation to inquire about the breakfast, as we have dietary restrictions, and was were told the breakfast included eggs and sausage along with the items most breakfast areas have. There were some greasy looking sausages, some pale cold tater tots and the rest of what you would expect, but no eggs. The eggs were the reason I made my reservation, as I cannot eat the rest of what they offer. I noticed that the person who made the statement about not going to buy eggs was the breakfast attendant. I went to the front desk to ask about the cold water in our room and about the breakfast. The attendant was standing near the desk and said they'd run out of eggs. (This was 7:30 and the breakfast was supposed to be until 9 am.) The front desk person said there was a problem with the water heater and it would be a while before we had hot water. She did give us a discount on our room without my having to ask her, and was very nice about it. We were able to get hot water before we left I had to find somewhere to get breakfast on the run. I wouldn't stay here again, and cannot recommend it to anyone except as a last resort.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Beverly L
Melb
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Misleading advertising for this hotel (does not live up to expectations of advertising).
Old style (1950/60) accommodation which by today’s standards is closer to a backpacker hotel.
Poor maintenance standard – many items not functioning properly (if at all).
Poor facilities – very used and dated.
Staff only partially helpful or polite.

Could NOT recommend at all.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dgs99
Cape Canaveral, Florida
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We stayed at the Magnuson recently while attending my husband's high school reunion. It's an older hotel, convenient to I-90, a few minutes east of Chicago. If on a budget, it might well serve your needs as the posted rate was $89 (+11%? tax) weekeds, $79 Sun-Thur.
Our room had two comfortable, queen beds, luggage rack, small fridge, TV, desk, adequate lighting, and a grab bar in the bath/shower.

It did lack in-room coffee-making - a possible issue for this early riser. However, the breakfast area was open and being stocked when I went in shortly after 5 AM. All the staff were friendly and there was a free, local paper available at the nearby front desk. I'd give it 4-stars for doing a good job for what we needed it for. Be sure to gas up in Indiana if heading to Illinois ...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank NurseCat
La Porte, Texas
Reviewed 6 September 2012

The Magnuson Hotel in Hammond, Indiana is an excellent place to stay. The staff is very friendly and everyone there is bi-lingual speaking both English and Spanish. They go out of their way to make sure your stay is a comfortable one. If you experience any problems just speak to the manager and she will make things right for you. I will definately be staying at this hotel in the future. It is located about 5 miles from the Horshoe Casino and the hotel offers rides to and from the casino.

Room Tip: Ask for room 106, it has a Jacuzzi in it and a big bed. An Excellent value for the money.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank dgarcia700
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hammond
Ramada Hammond Hotel & Conference Center
Best Western Northwest Indiana Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Hammond
Ameristar Casino Hotel East Chicago
Residence Inn Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN
Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!